Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #54706
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
That is too funny. I doused it in Pledge and am letting it soak in overnight to get it back to black. It really makes a huge difference - especially on the controls and black/red bits.

The white bike with the red tank is my '99 that I've had for awhile, but the one behind it is a really fresh '06 I just picked up. The white one has served me well. I'm trying to prep it for it's new owner.

RZ Rob
Used to use pledge on my Wing. It was interesting that it was supposed to repel dust, but I found it attracted it. Must be their way of selling more Pledge I found the turtle wax ice spray detailer a much better solution.

I prefer the Turtle wax vinyl and leather conditioner for the seat, or the 303 protectant. But most the time the XRL is just dusty
Old 02-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #54707
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Hi Folks,

So, I've got a couple XR650Ls and both have FMF exhausts. One has the PowerCore 4 with PowerBomb and the other has the Q2.

So, I'm noticing two mounting choices:

I think aesthetically I like the further forward, but I don't think that would be as strong or maybe even not strong enough.

What do you guys think? Is one "right"?

RZ Rob
I was just contemplating this the other day when installing the Q4 on mine.. I initially went with the forward mount because that's where my white brothers was mounted.. I have since switched to the more rear mount.

I guess if weight is not an issue you could always get a spare and use both mounts to increase the strength.. Not sure if it would be worth it though.
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #54708
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
I was just contemplating this the other day when installing the Q4 on mine.. I initially went with the forward mount because that's where my white brothers was mounted.. I have since switched to the more rear mount.

I guess if weight is not an issue you could always get a spare and use both mounts to increase the strength.. Not sure if it would be worth it though.
My FMF Titanium4 came with two clamps , an extra bolt and a 3/4 " spacer for the rear.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #54709
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Flyingwombat,

You have added the ZDDP to the engine oil for cam break in haven't you?
You bet I did! Are you saying I shouldn't worry too much about it with the ZDDP in there?

flyingwombat screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 08:47 AM
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #54710
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
What stand is that you are using? Looks heavy duty.
Harbor Freight stand, I think it was $150 shipped (on sale). So far it's been great.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #54711
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Just to add to the O2 sensor discussion...

Note that the difference between the narrowband and wideband is the addition of the "pump" mechanism which requires a controller for the sensor, thus making the wideband sensor more difficult to DIY unless you are quite good with electronics.

Here is some excellent information about how 5-wire (wideband) sensors work. They draw oxygen from the atmosphere through the wiring harness:
http://www.wbo2.com/lsu/lsuworks.htm

And the Megasquirt guys have some more info on wiring a wideband sensor here:
http://www.megamanual.com/PWC/wire.htm
Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #54712
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
You bet I did! Are you saying I shouldn't worry too much about it with the ZDDP in there?

No, just checking that your following CW's cam break-in directions.

Two ounces is what I used IIRC.

Although I never bothered breaking in a Mega Cycle cam. Just started the engine and went riding. Who knew??

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #54713
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Calm down, back away from the bike, it just ain't happen! We are here to help.
Kill switch, recently mine has been f__ken up.
CDI, I always carry a spare. Techforlife can rebuild these. But it will cost you your shirt!
Side stand safety switch. all the safties can be delt with at the wire junction under the seat.
Also all the safeties can be found to come together within the headlight enclosure. However, if you're getting power at the CDI unit on the black/white wire (ignition, kill) and the green/white is at ground potential (neutral, stand) and still no spark, that eliminates the switches and safeties as problems. A light bulb on the black/white to ground can check for solid power while cranking, while a DVM on the green/white to ground should show less than a volt DC.

Would be handy if the kill switch set to 'off' also would impede cranking... alas, not so...

Quote:
Thanks, that problem was this afternoon and with so many indicators pointing at CDI, I went and gave it a tap and viola, I got spark. RZ Rob
And now, you know.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #54714
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
.... The MegaSquirt ECUs I have with all the through-hole components would not fare well on an XR. One with all SMD components like a MicroSquirt or pcb v3.57 would be much better options.
Reminds me how we used to take assemblies with boards to a special lab to have them tested on the "vibration table". They had to pass a certain g-level acceleration in various axes over a specific timeframe in order to qualify for certain standards.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #54715
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I only needed to tap gently with a hammer to install my PBI, XR650R C/S sprocket the first time. All subsequent removals and installations were accomplished easily by hand. Spud
Right on. I haven't removed my JT F1307 15T XR650R C/S yet, but I'm expecting similar results to yours.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #54716
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,241
Quote:
Hi Folks,

So, I've got a couple XR650Ls and both have FMF exhausts. One has the PowerCore 4 with PowerBomb and the other has the Q2.

So, I'm noticing two mounting choices:
So most, including mine (this isn't my bike) have the hanger mounted here

But others (including my Q2) are mounted further forward.
I think aesthetically I like the further forward, but I don't think that would be as strong or maybe even not strong enough.

What do you guys think? Is one "right"?

RZ Rob
I have the original "q" exhaust...it`s been mounted with the mount in the forward/hidden position for 25k miles and since 2001.it`s more than strong enough.i just purchased an NOS Q2 and intend on mounting it the same...i think it looks cleaner and supports the pipe better...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #54717
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Techforlife can rebuild these. But it will cost you your shirt!
Don`t recall ever repairing one for you Fritz......actually i owe you one for free.......so shut the f up

I don`t want to repair them anymore unless the owner can`t do it themselves..that`s why i put the thread up on TT so people could repair them theirselves.........

I charge to do it now...a whole whooping 25 bucks and that includes return shipping........let`s see you do it cheaper.......

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer

techforlife screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 11:00 AM
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #54718
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
I have the original "q" exhaust...it`s been mounted with the mount in the forward/hidden position for 25k miles and since 2001.it`s more than strong enough.i just purchased an NOS Q2 and intend on mounting it the same...i think it looks cleaner and supports the pipe better...

B
Curious to hear your thinking on supporting the pipe better. Where is the center of gravity on those? I know on the old Supertrapp can with attached pipe that I've been monkeying around with for awhile now the center of gravity would end up being pretty close to where that front mount is, so from that standpoint I can see your logic. I can also see the advantage of not having a bunch of weight hanging behind the mount point. Would love to hear your thinking.

CS
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #54719
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Don`t recall ever repairing one for you Fritz......actually i owe you one for free.......so shut the f up

I don`t want to repair them anymore unless the owner can`t do it themselves..that`s why i put the thread up on TT so people could repair them theirselves.........

I charge to do it now...a whole whooping 25 bucks and that includes return shipping........let`s see you do it cheaper.......

B

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #54720
aksinha88
YETI ADV RIDER

Oddometer: 86
Thanks for the tips everyone. I actually had a Manual laying around so work has begun. In terms of the frame, I took the rear rack/subframe thing (one thats under the rear fender) off, sanded it down and took a can of RUSTOLEUM TRUCK BED COATING to it to test the stuff and since I didnt care how it looks and its mainly to prevent rust (it was pretty bad on that part). After letting it cure for a few days (I put 1 thick and 2 thin coats on) I'm going to test how it performs with the elements like leaving it out in the snow, putting it in front of a 500w shop light and chucking rocks at it. I think this "test" should give me an understanding if its capable of handling the real world scenarios and if its worth it to just go ahead and do the entire frame with it.

Also, I did a visual inspection of the shock and the linkage etc and things seem to be in pretty good shape back there so I think I'm just going to leave it alone for now. As far as the Shock rubber stopper is concerned, i took the old cork looking crap out and cleaned it up the area with compressed air. Since the shock itself doesnt look like it needs work done I think I'm gonna go find some kind of a stopper that I can split and slide it in there through the springs so I dont have to take the whole damn thing apart. Since I dont really ride trails etc and have never really jumped it hard enough to bottom out, I think this "fix" would do until I can afford to rebuild the shock right or find a good replacement later

http://www.facebook.com/YetiAdventures
aksinha88 is offline   Reply With Quote