Old 02-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #54721
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Hey this is a PG thread

RZ Rob
Not once Spud starts posting pictures of scantly clad women all bets are off. I always counted on him to set the bar for all things proper and acceptable. Now, this thread will continue to degenerate.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #54722
aksinha88
YETI ADV RIDER

Oddometer: 86
Question Left Crank Case Cover & Stator upgrade

So I found my Honda Manual and went ahead and took the left C.Cover off to take care of the hole in the case from the thrown chain. The actual block is good but the case had a dime size chunk missing under where I had patched it with JPweld

So I just have to go ahead and replace the cover but additionally, the Rubber plug thing on the Stator wire going out is beat up pretty good too. I figured if i'm gonna be clippin wires to get the rubber seal in, I might as well upgrade the damn stator itself since I'll be running HID projectors and heated gear + gps etc here soon.

I found one on the PRO CYCLE website that boasts of 260watts for $130

http://procycle.us/bikepages/xr650l.html#electrical. I cant seem to find any other option besides getting the coils rewound which is too much work. So here are my questions

1. The best place to get a case cover? are Ebay and the stock OEM replacement my only options? Anywhere else I could save a bit of $$$?

2. If I upgrade to the 260watt stator, do I need to upgrade anything else on the bike?? Sorry, I know as much about electrical systems as we know about the Lochness Monster!

3. Before I took the cover off I lightly degreased the motor and washed it with low pressure water to get mud and dirt off. When I took the cover off the little bit of oil in there was milky. Clearly water got in. When I put it back together should I just try to do 2 quick oil changes and try to get it out or is there anything else I should be doing??

Thanks for all you help and taking care of a rookie

http://www.facebook.com/YetiAdventures

aksinha88 screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 10:59 AM Reason: forgot to add content
aksinha88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #54723
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
No, just checking that your following CW's cam break-in directions.

Two ounces is what I used IIRC.

Although I never bothered breaking in a Mega Cycle cam. Just started the engine and went riding. Who knew??
Thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #54724
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by aksinha88 View Post
So I found my Honda Manual and went ahead and took the left C.Cover off to take care of the hole in the case from the thrown chain. The actual block is good but the case had a dime size chunk missing under where I had patched it with JPweld

So I just have to go ahead and replace the cover but additionally, the Rubber plug thing on the Stator wire going out is beat up pretty good too. I figured if i'm gonna be clippin wires to get the rubber seal in, I might as well upgrade the damn stator itself since I'll be running HID projectors and heated gear + gps etc here soon.

I found one on the PRO CYCLE website that boasts of 260watts for $130

http://procycle.us/bikepages/xr650l.html#electrical. I cant seem to find any other option besides getting the coils rewound which is too much work. So here are my questions

1. The best place to get a case cover? are Ebay and the stock OEM replacement my only options? Anywhere else I could save a bit of $$$?

2. If I upgrade to the 260watt stator, do I need to upgrade anything else on the bike?? Sorry, I know as much about electrical systems as we know about the Lochness Monster!

3. Before I took the cover off I lightly degreased the motor and washed it with low pressure water to get mud and dirt off. When I took the cover off the little bit of oil in there was milky. Clearly water got in. When I put it back together should I just try to do 2 quick oil changes and try to get it out or is there anything else I should be doing??

Thanks for all you help and taking care of a rookie
The question I have about that stator is at what RPM does it put out 260w? There are Honda stators that can be swapped if you're really interested but will cost more. Buuut you can run some additional load on the stock stator- you have ~180w to work with so add all the wattages up. Also, switching to LED dash and taillight will be a much easier/cheaper way to free up some power. Leave the directionals stock because they are nice and bright, unless you drive around with them on all the time.

You may be able to add something like Hylomar around that grommet to seal it up, or carefully cut it off and seal that cavity with high temp RTV.

If you upgrade the stator, you might consider upgrading the regulator/rectifier. But shunting regulators like these are happier running bigger loads, as long as they are not exceeding their power rating.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #54725
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Not once Spud starts posting pictures of scantly clad women all bets are off. I always counted on him to set the bar for all things proper and acceptable. Now, this thread will continue to degenerate.
Teach,

I'm sorry I offended you with some of the photographs I have posted. I will refrain from posting such photographs in the future. You are a decent, helpful person, and I certainly never wished to offend you, or anyone else.

I am offended when people insult others. You are always polite and helpful. However, I'm surprised more people don't express disappointment with the rude people who inhabit this thread.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #54726
aksinha88
YETI ADV RIDER

Oddometer: 86
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
The question I have about that stator is at what RPM does it put out 260w? There are Honda stators that can be swapped if you're really interested but will cost more. Buuut you can run some additional load on the stock stator- you have ~180w to work with so add all the wattages up. Also, switching to LED dash and taillight will be a much easier/cheaper way to free up some power. Leave the directionals stock because they are nice and bright, unless you drive around with them on all the time.

You may be able to add something like Hylomar around that grommet to seal it up, or carefully cut it off and seal that cavity with high temp RTV.

If you upgrade the stator, you might consider upgrading the regulator/rectifier. But shunting regulators like these are happier running bigger loads, as long as they are not exceeding their power rating.
See, the website doesnt state the details on the stator or I was gonna call up the guys there and ask them about that tomorrow during business hours. I already swapped the tail light with a LED cluster and I'm switching over to the Trail Tech Vapor dash during this build so I expect quite a bit of power to be freed up. The only reason why I'd like to upgrade is so I can run my heated gear as well as charge my photography equipment while im riding about. I'll do the math tonight and see if i can save that $130.

Good call on the RTV stuff, forgot about that. haha. Honestly I'd want to keep the stock stator if it does the job. Why fix it if its not broken

http://www.facebook.com/YetiAdventures
aksinha88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #54727
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Teach,

I am offended when people insult others. You are always polite and helpful. However, I'm surprised more people don't express disappointment with the rude people who inhabit this thread.

Spud
Rude people on this thread? Say it ain't so.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #54728
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Don`t recall ever repairing one for you Fritz......actually i owe you one for free.......so shut the f up

I don`t want to repair them anymore unless the owner can`t do it themselves..that`s why i put the thread up on TT so people could repair them theirselves.........

I charge to do it now...a whole whooping 25 bucks and that includes return shipping........let`s see you do it cheaper.......

B
tech:

I would like to opportunity to publicly apologize for my comments as to the fees you charge to provide the outstanding service that you do. In the future I will make a concerted effort to eliminate those types of comments from my post. I have found your advice to be top shelf; you are an outstanding contributor to this informational forum we all enjoy. My intentions were not to distress you in any way but rather to jest. This I say to all who frequent this forum.

I am uncomfortable with people that feel the need to restate another’s written words insisting that their spin is the correct one and how the information should be conveyed. Tech, you sir are one of the bright spots in the cast of grey that seek to turn ADV into a Garden Club board meeting. I am aghast more have not rallied behind the cause to maintain ADV as a rough, tough, Man Cave type of site that it was conceived to be.

But, really, call me rude if you wish, I don’t give a f__k!. Party on dudes.

Then:

Now:
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #54729
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Old 02-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #54730
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by aksinha88 View Post
The only reason why I'd like to upgrade is so I can run my heated gear as well as charge my photography equipment while im riding about. I'll do the math tonight and see if i can save that $130.

Good call on the RTV stuff, forgot about that. haha. Honestly I'd want to keep the stock stator if it does the job. Why fix it if its not broken
RTV is what I was going to mention, except that the way I do it (Hi Fritz) is to clean the wire grommet very well with alchohol, acetone, or MEK and a small brush such that there is no oil film left on it, then upon assembly coat the inner groove in hi-temp RTV, covering around completely where it meets the case cover and the gasket surface (you want enough, but not big gobs, smooth it - working carefully and being thorough pays off here), then assemble carefully so it only goes together and not back apart. That has always worked well for me on many occasions over the years - no leaks. I wouldn't consider cutting the wires.

As for the stator upgrade, I doubt that's necessary for what you describe. Charging photography equipment should take less than a tail light. It all depends on how much heated gear you want to run at full power and for how long. You'd have to be on the extreme end of power usage to need the extra, and it's a lot of effort for the gain. Good call on calculating your needs, that should be a critical element of information used in the decision to upgrade or not.

As for the regulator, should you upgrade the stator, perhaps a beefier one, but initially you can check to see if the stock one is heating up while road riding with a charged battery and no accessories (worst case). Since the shunt regulator dissipates more as the power being produced by the stator is not being used by the bike (or anything attached), it won't be working hard (not heating up much) when you're running heated gear and such.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #54731
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
tech:

I would like to opportunity to publicly apologize for my comments as to the fees you charge to provide the outstanding service that you do. In the future I will make a concerted effort to eliminate those types of comments from my post. I have found your advice to be top shelf; you are an outstanding contributor to this informational forum we all enjoy. My intentions were not to distress you in any way but rather to jest. This I say to all who frequent this forum.

I am uncomfortable with people that feel the need to restate another’s written words insisting that their spin is the correct one and how the information should be conveyed. Tech, you sir are one of the bright spots in the cast of grey that seek to turn ADV into a Garden Club board meeting. I am aghast more have not rallied behind the cause to maintain ADV as a rough, tough, Man Cave type of site that it was conceived to be.

But, really, call me rude if you wish, I don’t give a f__k!. Party on dudes.

Then:

Now:

holy fuck Fritz.....you been drinkin that nasty Texas beer again..haven`t ya

Notice how i insult your beer and the thought that maybe you are an alcoholic in the same sentence...i like to double up ya know.,,,,,

I actually could care less either Fritz....i can suck it up..

But.....anytime you want to undercut my CDI repair pricing...feel free to do so.it would be cheaper shipping down there and you could really coin it off all the XR650L owners.......then buy a big freekin mansion with 8 blond poolside hookers..that`d teach me..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #54732
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
Curious to hear your thinking on supporting the pipe better. Where is the center of gravity on those? I know on the old Supertrapp can with attached pipe that I've been monkeying around with for awhile now the center of gravity would end up being pretty close to where that front mount is, so from that standpoint I can see your logic. I can also see the advantage of not having a bunch of weight hanging behind the mount point. Would love to hear your thinking.

CS
I think the center of balance on these pipes is closer to the front than rear of the alloy can...

Seriously.........i don`t think it really matters which end you use,,it still ends up supported well..i have never seen an FMF that had any issues from the inlet of the muffler to the back.but i`ve seen a few that broke at the mount on the inlet pipe or some odd reason..

But the Q exhaust on mine has been forward mounted since new,,no issues.......looks a little cleaner too i think..

We`ll see when i install the new Q2 i bought..i still plan on the same mount point..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 02-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #54733
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
holy fuck Fritz.....you been drinkin that nasty Texas beer again..haven`t ya

Notice how i insult your beer and the thought that maybe you are an alcoholic in the same sentence...i like to double up ya know.,,,,,

I actually could care less either Fritz....i can suck it up..

But.....anytime you want to undercut my CDI repair pricing...feel free to do so.it would be cheaper shipping down there and you could really coin it off all the XR650L owners.......then buy a big freekin mansion with 8 blond poolside hookers..that`d teach me..

B
Oh, I am just soooooooooooooo offended! OMG!
For your information I'm 50% drunk 7% of the time.

And where did you get the impression I could EVEN attempt to to be a Witch Doctor, like you, and fix something with more than two wires?

And we can agree on something. To all I have offended:

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #54734
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Oh, I am just soooooooooooooo offended! OMG!
For your information I'm 50% drunk 7% of the time.

And where did you get the impression I could EVEN attempt to to be a Witch Doctor, like you, and fix something with more than two wires?

And we can agree on something. To all I have offended:

Man.........do i need a beer........real beer,,canuckian acid beer

B
Old 02-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #54735
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,642
I need a beer. You guys are giving ME a headache.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote