Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #991
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
Hope I can get some input. Will this setup work as drawn. Focused primarily on stator/regulator area?
Looks to me like you got the DC+ feeding the blinkers twice - once directly and the other thru the multi-switch.
arrcrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #992
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrcrussell View Post
Looks to me like you got the DC+ feeding the blinkers twice - once directly and the other thru the multi-switch.
I don't think you're going to have much luck with that system but I guess it's worth a shot. By hanging 2 systems off the stator you are doing some wierd stuff with the stator's output. For one thing you've effectively reduced the charging systems resistance by a large amount (probably 1/2) which could easily double the current. Is there a compelling reason to set it up that way? The current issue I described could decide to cause problems when you least expect it if it doesn't blow out a reg right off the bat. Anotherwords it might seem to be fine and eventually burn out a componet while you're out riding it. The manufacturers have come up with many different configurations but I've yet to see one configured that way. That design effectively takes what was a very simple sytem and makes it much more complex plus adds another failure point and increases the heat and load on all the componets. An AC/DC system does the exact same thing but with 2 seperate systems. Is this because you have a rewound stator with one output?

You could easily wire that HL into the DC system and avoid the potential for other problems also setup that way it's not adding any reliability to the system.

RideFreak screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 04:27 PM
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #993
mitchn06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
ya i messed up on the rear blinker setup. I guess i had the idea in my head to get the BD or RS dual output stator and run both AC and DC. then i decided i could accomplish a high output stator and save myself $150. so i drew up that diagram still utilizing the AC and DC, not sure why i could not do a full DC system. and that is probably what will happen. XRsnaggle or some guy with a user name like that seemed like he had the setup like i drew, but for some reason he fried it when changed from 100W HL to 50W HL, ?? IDK, no reason i can't do full DC, not sure why i wanted to incorporate AC. i've just been going through my upgrades list trying to get all things figured out. i rewound the stator two years ago, but i added the new windings in series with the old windings, and did not fill up all poles for some reason, so when i redo it, i want to do it right.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #994
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,135
Chris, can you explain the reduction in charging resistance? I don't quite understand that, I thought that was purely a product of the battery's internal resistance?

The only reason I thought it would work, while not being ideal, is that the xrr service manual shows some schematics that are similar; dc and ac system from the same coil. Or so I thought, looking at again there are two coils. However, these wiring diagrams are obviously not of an xrr so who knows what the hell thats all about?

I think in theory you could have an ac light, and still rectify it for a dc system. However, there wouldn't be a need for both ac reg and a reg/rectifier, because only one of the regs is going to be doing its job.

It would be simpler to just go all dc.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #995
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Chris, can you explain the reduction in charging resistance? I don't quite understand that, I thought that was purely a product of the battery's internal resistance?

The only reason I thought it would work, while not being ideal, is that the xrr service manual shows some schematics that are similar; dc and ac system from the same coil. Or so I thought, looking at again there are two coils. However, these wiring diagrams are obviously not of an xrr so who knows what the hell thats all about?

I think in theory you could have an ac light, and still rectify it for a dc system. However, there wouldn't be a need for both ac reg and a reg/rectifier, because only one of the regs is going to be doing its job.

It would be simpler to just go all dc.
The battery is the source, the rectifier is the load (resistance). Anytime you add resistance in parallel (like the second regulator) it lowers total resistance increasing current. This explains it with a calculator and shows the formula. Type in a few values into R1 & R2 and you'll see the loss of overall resistance, plug that new value into ohms law and you'll see the increase in circuit current I'm describing, it could easily double the current, not good!

I'm not telling the OP not to do it and I might be missing something here but in my expierence why add the complexity and the overhead associated with an extra reg? We want our systems to be as simple as can be and as robust as we can make them. Each componet will add some loss of output to the system by virtue of it's resistance in that circuit. Almost all headlight bulbs that run on AC will run on DC. The final product will end up being more complex, run hotter and have more potential for failure. I seriously doubt the headlight will be any brighter if it does work at all, it's hanging off a circuit in a very inefficient way.

I've worked on my share of MC electrical systems as well as plenty of other electric/electronic sircuits and have yet to see a system that is configured for 2 different voltage types off the same output in this manner. The closest thing I can think of is when they pull more than one tap off a source like a transformer or set of windings. In that situation, the way the windings are configured provides circuit isolation. Doesn't mean the OPs method isn't out there but typically at a min. there is some circuitry or design feature that minimizes ones influence on the other.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #996
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
ya i messed up on the rear blinker setup. I guess i had the idea in my head to get the BD or RS dual output stator and run both AC and DC. then i decided i could accomplish a high output stator and save myself $150. so i drew up that diagram still utilizing the AC and DC, not sure why i could not do a full DC system. and that is probably what will happen. XRsnaggle or some guy with a user name like that seemed like he had the setup like i drew, but for some reason he fried it when changed from 100W HL to 50W HL, ?? IDK, no reason i can't do full DC, not sure why i wanted to incorporate AC. i've just been going through my upgrades list trying to get all things figured out. i rewound the stator two years ago, but i added the new windings in series with the old windings, and did not fill up all poles for some reason, so when i redo it, i want to do it right.
Mitch, no prob running a single output all DC (or AC) or dual (AC/DC) there's pro's & con's to both. If you are doing your own stator, the single output is a little easier, no reason why you can't run a full DC setup off it. Like I mentioned above, shoot for simple, last thing you want to do is troubleshoot a complex system out on the trail somewhere. There's a few designs in this thread that are pretty robust, you'll notice they are very similar to some of the OEM systems. They are proven designs that hold up provided the wiring is done right. Often folks will try to reinvent the wheel, nothing wrong with that if the original wheel doesn't work for you, just be prepared to spend some $$ and sweat going down that road.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #997
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I'm going to give these guys a shot at making a battery pack for me. I'm going to use the 1100 mah nicads, which should be a bit of a upgrade from the 700 mah nicads that BD sells.

They also let you choose your cable gauge.

http://www.robotcombat.com/products/...uild_main.html
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #998
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Fan Install

Just got my fan install going on and need some help with electrical connection.

Where/how to conect on/off switch for fan?

KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #999
mitchn06
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babuja View Post
Just got my fan install going on and need some help with electrical connection.

Where/how to conect on/off switch for fan?
what is the device on the lower triple clamp says MBN on it? i'm guessing you included it for a reason. Does your bike have DC power? battery? capacitor?
Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #1000
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,126
you can draw prw from the green an black wire nxt to the pink 1 in the pic shown ..not the green and black going to the capacitor

that is a reg/rec to run your blinkers and horn .. you have the EU specbike with the headlights and blinkers and horn for street rego i take it ...same as my bike
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #1001
mitchn06
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
you can draw prw from the green an black wire nxt to the pink 1 in the pic shown ..not the green and black going to the capacitor

that is a reg/rec to run your blinkers and horn .. you have the EU specbike with the headlights and blinkers and horn for street rego i take it ...same as my bike
Old 02-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #1002
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
The battery is the source, the rectifier is the load (resistance). Anytime you add resistance in parallel (like the second regulator) it lowers total resistance increasing current. This explains it with a calculator and shows the formula. Type in a few values into R1 & R2
Ok, by charging current I thought you meant the current going into the battery.

I have verying levels of education and experience too, and there have been some things occur with my electrical that I just cannot explain, an so I have a tendency to keep everything seperate, nothing shares anything.

I noticed during my rewire recently that the ac feeding the headlight had an uncrimped butt connector on one leg. No issues over three years of use. There are definite benefits to ac.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #1003
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
what is the device on the lower triple clamp says MBN on it? i'm guessing you included it for a reason. Does your bike have DC power? battery? capacitor?
Hi,

the EU model has DC power rectifier/capacitor...no battery.

Quote:
Tnks guys
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
Old 03-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #1004
KYLEISCOOL
Who

Oddometer: 131
Squadron LED

I was wondering if anyone has coughed up the dough for one of the baja designs squadron and put it on there pig? . I have a stock stator and am currently running the stock headlight with led blinkers and an led brake running light. And I dont plan on running any other extras in the future. Im really interested in the squadron cause my thing is that it supposedly only uses 44 watts and I wont have to get the upgraded stator. Just get a reg/rec from baja designs, which I have one laying around the garage somewhere. I called up BD and they said that the squadron wont run on the stock AC current and thats why I need the reg/rec to convert it to DC? Then by having a DC setup would I have to run a battery too? Thanks to anyone trying to help a retard when it comes to electricity.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #1005
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer

LED Power ON!

KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com