Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #7681
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by aki View Post
KLX450 is KXF450 with lighting & blinkers for road worthiness. It is a powerful bike and weighs less than my KLX250S but unsure the difference. I rode my friend's bike and it is far, far powerful and I can confirm that it is not a detuned version.
This is very good news! I'm impressed Kawi did this! But I wonder if that model with those specs will ever get past EPA/CARB regs here in the USA or the stiff Euro lll requirements in Europe?

If it's really a "race bike with lights" ... then SIGN ME UP!!!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #7682
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I need some new fork tubes... are your's in decent shape? I keep blowing thru seels every 2 months or so...
Rather than buying new fork tubes $$$$ ... I would suggest having your tubes Polished at a Pro metal polishing shop. You may have some little nicks or cuts in your tubes ... they might be cutting your fork seals.

If the tubes are straight ... then polishing them might fix the seal problem.
(I did this on my former WR250 two stroke race bike)
Good luck
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #7683
aki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
This is very good news! I'm impressed Kawi did this! But I wonder if that model with those specs will ever get past EPA/CARB regs here in the USA or the stiff Euro lll requirements in Europe?

If it's really a "race bike with lights" ... then SIGN ME UP!!!
The cons on KLX450 is the maintenance since it is a race bike & fuel consumption. I still prefer KLX250S for my style of riding.

I am in the process of doing Honda XR250 (2000) kick start which is way lighter & more enduro biased.

http://aki-sarawakadventure.blogspot.com/
aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #7684
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
I'll check into the metal polishing but don't know if I'll have any luck finding something like that over here. I shouldn't write while frusterated but at the moment I'm overwhelmed with how you can get 1/2 ass quality on everything here for 1/10th the price but when/if you want something done well it doesn't happen often.

I was just at the Kawasaki dealer and saw a KX250 next to the 2012 KLX250 and it got me thinking:

I'm wondering how hard it would be to put a whole KX front end on the KLX. My wife's in Texas at the moment for the next week and looking on Craigslist I could get her to bring me back some forks/tripple clamps/wheel/axle for much less than new fork tubes would cost over here.

FWIW the 2012 KLX in the pic has only +/- 10" of fork travel, my year has 11" where the KX next to it has 12" so the length difference wouldn't be as great as the 2 in the pic.
Anyone heard of anyone doing that before? I'd love the KX forks if it was doable...
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #7685
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
It's been done, don't recall where I read about it. In the Kawi forum somewhere? Planet KLX?
Old 02-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #7686
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,883
Quote:
I'm wondering how hard it would be to put a whole KX front end on the KLX.
Anyone heard of anyone doing that before? I'd love the KX forks if it was doable...

Guy selling his KLX300 in the Flea Market has a KX250 front end on his bike. Shoot him a PM to see what parts/mods were needed.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856901
Lil' Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #7687
ua99003
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Just installed a 3.0 gal IMS tank. What kind of fuel range can I expect from my 2012 klx with dynojet stage 1,120 main and kdx snorkel under normal back road riding ?
ua99003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #7688
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua99003 View Post
Just installed a 3.0 gal IMS tank. What kind of fuel range can I expect from my 2012 klx with dynojet stage 1,120 main and kdx snorkel under normal back road riding ?
Probably about 165 miles before you hit reserve, and about 200 to empty. I haven't tested this though. I always top off before a ride, and the longest ride I've done since installing the IMS tank is 120 miles. I'm getting about 70 mpg...
Old 02-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #7689
brieninsac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua99003 View Post
We saw your post over on the kawasakiforum too. It's real simple, figure out your mpg and times it by 3. Everyone gets different mileage based on location, mods and riding style. No one can give you a definitive answer.
brieninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #7690
ua99003
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by brieninsac View Post
We saw your post over on the kawasakiforum too. It's real simple, figure out your mpg and times it by 3. Everyone gets different mileage based on location, mods and riding style. No one can give you a definitive answer.
Thanks for response ... at least my spelling was correct here
ua99003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #7691
MasoBall
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hey if someone could please tell me whether or not these body mods would fit a 2010 klx250s I would greatly appreciate it
Thanks

They are UFO KX rear fender, Baja Designs LED Taillight, Polisport MMX Headlight, and the UFO front fender.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/UFO...-p4126620.html

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/Baj...-p4452420.html

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/Pol...-p4723549.html

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/UFO...-p4127113.html
MasoBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #7692
Bladeforger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

I could see ditching my DR650 for the KLX450.
I don't know that that would be such a good trade. I ended up with a KLR650 way back when and will keep it. However, if it died, vaporized, or went away somehow, it might be replaced with a DR650... and that's the only candidate. One 650 and one 250 (KLX250S) are about all the bike you need unless you're doing two-up touring. No way would my KLR be traded in on any 450 I've seen.
"Obsolete doesn't mean a thing isn't any good--it just means they don't make it anymore" Von Dutch, May 1970
Bladeforger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #7693
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
I'll check into the metal polishing but don't know if I'll have any luck finding something like that over here. I shouldn't write while frusterated but at the moment I'm overwhelmed with how you can get 1/2 ass quality on everything here for 1/10th the price but when/if you want something done well it doesn't happen often.

I was just at the Kawasaki dealer and saw a KX250 next to the 2012 KLX250 and it got me thinking:

I'm wondering how hard it would be to put a whole KX front end on the KLX. My wife's in Texas at the moment for the next week and looking on Craigslist I could get her to bring me back some forks/tripple clamps/wheel/axle for much less than new fork tubes would cost over here.

FWIW the 2012 KLX in the pic has only +/- 10" of fork travel, my year has 11" where the KX next to it has 12" so the length difference wouldn't be as great as the 2 in the pic.
I don't have specific details, as I have not done it on this particular bike. One major thing to consider is you'll likely need a KX wheel or custom axle, nut and spacers to adapt the KLX wheel to the KX forks - cross reference the bearing part numbers to get some clue as to what you'll need to do. The year of KX will determine how easy the swap is. The 43mm KX125/250/500 forks from about '91 to '95 (double check exact years) should slip directly into your triple clamps. A complete front end - including the triple clamps - from any year KX500 should be a direct fit as well, as the head bearings and stem length are the same; some years of KX500 used 43mm forks, the last I believe used 46mm.
Lutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:58 AM   #7694
NikLyk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Cry

I just purchased my first motorcycle!

It is a 2009 Kawazaki KLX250 (EU spec, EFI). I dont have my MC license yet, but I am in the process of getting one. Ill have to take some courses but I should have it mid-april. The dealer said I could let the bike stay there until I was ready to bring it home. I must say it sucks to own a bike that you cannot ride yet! That being said, I am super thrilled about the idea.

I have been without motorized transportation since I had to sell my car 6 months ago. Maintenence, insurance and gas prices were simply too high for me as a student. (Imagine paying 6$+ for a gallon of gas). Im from Denmark so anything with an engine is super expensive. I paid 6700$ for the KLX and that was a bargain. A new 2012 model costs about 10k.(Is there any difference between 09 and 12 models) None of the other 250 dual sports are available here, so I really had nothing to choose from. Nevertheless, I am satisfied with the KLX after having read lots of stuff about the competitor bikes on the market on here and on other sites.

I will mostly be using the bike for commuting around town, but I also hope to do some minimalist touring and some trips to the beach and the forrest.

Im already thinking about what mods I want to do. So far I have decided that I will need:
1) Rack (I was having a hard time deciding which one, but PMRracks just released a new one that looks good)
2) Seat concepts seat
3) IMS tank (They dont have one out for the EFI KLX yet but hopefully they will soonish)

I like to keep it somewhat simple and stock looking. This is supposed to be a practical, cheap and reliable means of transportation for me so I dont want to sink tons of money into it.

Any other mods you guys recommend to start out with? Im thinking about the 13 sprocket, but since I plan on touring on the bike I am not sure its such a good idea. Its something I will have to think about. Most other performance mods I read about seem difficult to implement on the EFI Kawi.

Oh and another thing: Things such as the Seat Concept, the IMS tank and the PMRrack will cost me a fortune once shipping is calculated (like 50$ shipping pr item!) Any suggestion on how I could cut down on this cost? Could I perhaps ask the companies to send the items to eachother and then ship it as one package? Do you think that would save me anything? Im fairly strapped for cash, so paying 50$ shipping on a 100$ item is quite a lot.

Sometimes, as a motoring enthusiast, I wish I lived in the states as everything is just so much cheaper, but then again, it seems as if the carb version of the KLX250 only has 18hp stock? The EFI has 22hp apparantly. I wonder what gives the 4hp difference?

Anyway, that was quite a lot of questions and I hope someone can shed some light on it. Pic is my bike at the dealers where it will stay until mid-april.

NikLyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #7695
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
The year of KX will determine how easy the swap is. The 43mm KX125/250/500 forks from about '91 to '95 (double check exact years) should slip directly into your triple clamps. A complete front end - including the triple clamps - from any year KX500 should be a direct fit as well, as the head bearings and stem length are the same; some years of KX500 used 43mm forks, the last I believe used 46mm.
Thanks Lutz!! That was exactly the info I was looking for as I scoured craigslist!

I am thinking of just buying that KLX351 in the flea market - he's selling for $1,500 and my similar bike over here could fetch 6,000 with 50K miles!!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote