Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Grits&Gravy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
any experience with touratech suspension?

Does anybody have any experience with Touratech's new suspension products for the F800? Specifically, the Expedition or the Explore HP. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the bike comes factory set up for about 175 lb rider. I'm a few lbs bigger and carry another 20+lbs of gear. Just looking at potentially upgrading my suspension.

If you have any first hand knowledge please feel free to comment. Thanks.
Grits&Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,096
No intention of hijacking but I am also curiously waiting to hear any reports...I am considering the Touratech lowering kit made by HyperPro.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/316/PN-040-7402/F800GS-Hyperpro-Suspension-Lowering-kit-F-R-w-fluid-up-to-2012
Old 02-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Grits&Gravy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like I'm gonna be a guinea pig. I'll give them a call and let them tell me all about it.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
I like the idea of lowering the bike. My legs are a little short for touching down on uneven surfaces.

Someone did a post earlier on how to cut down the stock spring to lower the bike. Then you just slide the forks up in the clamps. That would be a cheap altermative if you don't over work the stock suspension.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
You'll just have to be careful if you lower the seat height via the suspension. There's already precious little clearance for the skidplate on full compression.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #6
Grits&Gravy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
I like the idea of lowering the bike. My legs are a little short for touching down on uneven surfaces.

Someone did a post earlier on how to cut down the stock spring to lower the bike. Then you just slide the forks up in the clamps. That would be a cheap altermative if you don't over work the stock suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
You'll just have to be careful if you lower the seat height via the suspension. There's already precious little clearance for the skidplate on full compression.
This is not a thread about lowering a bike. If you don't have any info to contribute in regards to my original topic of upgrading suspension using Touratech's Explorer or Expedition series please move along.. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Grits&Gravy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Talked to Touratech today. They were very helpful and I also found out that Konflict Motorsports (in the vendor section) is very good with F800's front suspension and they sell Touratech. They also have a supportive bump from Touratech so I have a call/email in to them and waiting for a response.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits&Gravy View Post
Talked to Touratech today. They were very helpful and I also found out that Konflict Motorsports (in the vendor section) is very good with F800's front suspension and they sell Touratech. They also have a supportive bump from Touratech so I have a call/email in to them and waiting for a response.
Email responded to.
I can also provide any technical information, or answer any questions you might have regarding the TT shock lineup.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 303
Grits you are in good hands with Alex at Konflict. Will look forward to your review of the Touratech gear.
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
Grits&Gravy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BcDano View Post
Grits you are in good hands with Alex at Konflict. Will look forward to your review of the Touratech gear.
I got a very detailed email from Alex the other afternoon and then he called me the next morning. I've given him a deposit for the work on the front fork tubes and the new TT Explore HP for the rear. I will be sending him my fork tubes this week.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
Grits&Gravy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Removed my fork tubes today and have them packed up and ready to ship.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #12
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,096
So what happened? How's the suspension?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #13
Grits&Gravy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
So what happened? How's the suspension?
The rear Touratech shock arrived today and the front forks will be here tomorrow. I sent the front forks in a little bit premature of my actual build date that Alex put on the calendar because I wasn't going to be riding the GS for quite some time and was going to be busy doing other things. When the fronts arrive tomorrow I will take pics and post back up.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:52 AM   #14
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits&Gravy View Post
The rear Touratech shock arrived today and the front forks will be here tomorrow. I sent the front forks in a little bit premature of my actual build date that Alex put on the calendar because I wasn't going to be riding the GS for quite some time and was going to be busy doing other things. When the fronts arrive tomorrow I will take pics and post back up.
Thank god you had the RT to ride during 2 month . I'm all ears for the review and it better be good: I want these suspensions really badly!
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
Grits&Gravy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got home today and the front forks were waiting on me. Alex, at Konflict, done an excellent job. Well, first things first, I had to grab a cold one before heading to the garage. Now that we have the tone set, I opened up the gun case and removed the forks. It didn't take long and they were back in the triple clamp with front tire installed. Took a few pics made sure everything was torqued to spec and took for a spin. I just put on the Scotts and immediately noticed 2 things. The bike easily ran straight ahead and when I braked with the front the bike wasn't nose diving as it was before. I'll be going riding this weekend and have a better feel of the front. As for the rear, I ordered Indy's shock bolt kit and removed the stock heim joint and pressed in the new bushing. I'll probably wait till next week to install the rear shock.