RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,383
Ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Are you always such a Douche Nozzle?
He did the same thing in a KLR thread.
He's a hardcore KTM guy and hates when anyone bad mouths the brand.
It's as if he has stock in the company or something.
And it kind of contradicts his inmate name.

To the OP.
I bought the 2013 Kalamata in September and put close to 3K on it so far.
Most of the miles were on a trip to Shenandoah.
I'm not a very good rider, but I was able to maneuver the bike on mountain trails with little problem.
I did have an issue with the traction control not turning off though.
Took the bike to the deal and they did a software upgrade that fixed the issue.
Love the F800.
I'll be doing a Trans Canadian Trail trip on it in June.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
ccooper OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Sweet, these are good reassuring, positive responses which is what I was hoping far. I really want this bike, but just wanted to ask here personally instead of getting all my info from the F8GS problem threads. Regarding my KTM I sold...I don't want to bash it here. It had really great attributes (handling, lite-weight, power, suspension), but the engine was not reliable IMOH. I may have just got a bad one...I'm not gonna buy another one to find out. Thanks everybody.
ccooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #18
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I love mine! I actually am excited the days I get to ride. I know that I can have fun on and off the road and that it's an all around good bike.

Not many other bikes can be great for an extended trip with lots of highway miles and also be taken into the dirt. KTM's are too small/not pavement friendly and the 1200's are too big for the dirt. The 800 is just right. Some new fork springs($150) and some protection will set you up good.

I've owned a Ducati and an 1150 GS. All bikes have their strong and weak points. The F8 is no different...
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #19
ccooper OP
Adventurer

Ok, here's my plan...keep my F800GS on order (deposit was non-refundable, so not sure I can cancel anyway without losing $1000) and later hopefully get a DRZ400S or WR250R (I do wish Yamaha offered a WR450R) to use for more serious off road/dual sporting. Both those bikes seem really reliable and will handle more aggressive off road so the BMW can have a little easier life. Now, I just need business to pick up for toy money
Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #20
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccooper View Post
Ok, here's my plan...keep my F800GS on order (deposit was non-refundable, so not sure I can cancel anyway without losing $1000) and later hopefully get a DRZ400S or WR250R (I do wish Yamaha offered a WR450R) to use for more serious off road/dual sporting. Both those bikes seem really reliable and will handle more aggressive off road so the BMW can have a little easier life. Now, I just need business to pick up for toy money
Good choice. You will love the GS. Just make sure to save a few pennies for farkles. A taller windshield and a better seat are a must for anything over 100 mile days.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #21
pkbinder
Kissing Moose

Oddometer: 264
I have put 30k miles on my '09 and no issues at all. Reading the forums sometimes keeps me up at night worrying about my stator and my wheel bearings, but so far so good.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #22
nomadb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Did you test ride the bike before the purchase?

F800GS is pretty solid bike. I had mine over a year with some long distance riding under heavy rain. I did some gravel roads as well, I love it.

But did you test ride one before the order? I believe we all have different expectations and I will rather test it first than be sory later.

R1200GS will do good offroad but way to heavy compared to F8. Again your usage is important here. I would think R1200GS would be better with a pillion on highways.

F8 is pretty much by itself whwn compared to other bikes. Tiger 800 is great but more road oriented. I finf F800 to be great on dirt roads. Offcourse a single cylinder KTM like 530 is better at extreme riding like heavy mud and so. That is why I have a Husky610.

F8 is great to be used in the city as well. It is light and easy to get around cars. Not heavy and not overheating due to LC engine.

Just to add the F8 has very good mpg. It burns far less than tiger and ADV990. (ADV 990 is also in a league of its own).
nomadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #23
nomadb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
[QUOTE=nomadb;20798780]F800GS is pretty solid bike. I had mine over a year with some long distance riding under heavy rain. I did some gravel roads as well, I love it.

But did you test ride one before the order? I believe we all have different expectations and I will rather test it first than be sory later.

R1200GS will do good offroad but way to heavy compared to F8. Again your usage is important here. I would think R1200GS would be better with a pillion on highways.

F8 is pretty much by itself whwn compared to other bikes. Tiger 800 is great but more road oriented. I find F800 to be great on dirt roads. Offcourse a single cylinder hard enduro KTM like 530 is better at extreme riding like heavy mud and so. That is why I have a Husky610. F800 is a good on/offroad mix.

F8 is great to be used in the city as well. It is light and easy to get around cars. Not heavy and not overheating due to LC engine.

Just to add the F8 has very good mpg. It burns far less than tiger and ADV990.
nomadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #24
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
I've had my F8 for a year now and no more has gone wrong with it than the 2 Hondas I had before it (ie nothing). I grew up with a mechanic dad and am quite tuned in to any out-of-the-ordinary noises, vibrations, behaviours etc of most things mechanical.

The F8's engine will never be sewing machine smooth compared to a 4 cylinder Japanese bike engine but it is in my experience much more characterful and has bags more torque... and has a lot more valve, piston and timing chain noise. Any modern bike/engine is going to be reliable if you take good care of it (regular checks of oil, coolant, tyre pressure, chain tension/lubrication etc) and BMW have had the better part of a decade to sort out reliability issues with early components used in this engine.

The nature of the internet means we don't know what led to failures that others have reported, or if some of the failures could have been prevented if symptoms had been addressed earlier - and as someone above mentioned, people aren't going to write in 'all a-ok today'. One person's idea of 'light off-roading' is very different from the next person's, and while the F8 with the right tyres is a very capable bike, it's still not a dirt bike.

I've also known people who had cars/bikes for years without any servicing and didn't even know how to check their oil level (or even that they needed to), although the majority of people on this site are obviously far more informed than this.

So enjoy the new bike, and don't be paranoid about it. Take good care of it and you should be enjoying it for years to come.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #25
ixab
just Aaron, really

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
If you end up with both I'd be surprised if you fall back on a WR longer dual sport rides, at least for any ride the requires more than 30 or so miles of pavement or camping gear. The F800 is a pretty capable off-road bike, especially if you put some money into suspension. Short of getting an air-cooled XR, any dirt bike is going to need some TLC if you're riding it properly. Like other's above have said, the forums tend to distort how many problems a bike has. Even then, all the problems have solutions. It's not like anyone has found things wrong that aren't fixable. If you put 30,000 off road miles on your Tacoma, and drove it like a dirt bike, it would probably come up with an issue or two as well

If you're using the WR for trail riding (vs fire road + pavement), I wouldn't sweat the 450/250 thing too much. You have to wring them out a bit more than a 450, but a 250 will have plenty of scoot. Even for a generously sized fella like yourself, I don't think you'll miss the bigger displacement much if you're using it as a woods bike. If you do want more grunt, you can throw an Athena kit on it and bump the displacement. I have a TE250 with a 300 kit and it's a great compromise between getting the bigger engine.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #26
ccooper OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixab View Post
If you put 30,000 off road miles on your Tacoma, and drove it like a dirt bike, it would probably come up with an issue or two as well
haha, good point.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #27
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
I still love mine

I got mine 4 years ago, 55K miles so far. I did have some usual "2009" issues with the stator and the bike stalling in rain once in a while. Once all the recalls were done, no more issues.

Definitely one of the most versatile bikes out there. On a cross-country trip we did the Apache Trail, jumped back on the highway and continued at 85mph, the bike did great in both areas. The bike is also good for city riding. Two things made a huge difference for high speeds and long distance comfort - a ZTechnik windshield and a combination of a gel seat pad and a sheep skin seat cover from Alaska Leather.

I like the mileage I get on this bike - overall average is 50MPG, on back road rides I get around 55, and on the Blue Ridge Parkway I did a 270 mile day using up the entire tank, 66MPG. I also have an R1100GS and I do admit that I prefer that one for long highway days, but I am never ever selling "Hermann". The plan for this year is to keep TKCs on and push it harder in dirt that I have been willing so far, that's where this bike has an edge over the big boxers.
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #28
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,738
"I've now read about bad bearings, bad stators, cracked gas tanks, leaking valve covers, leaking water pumps, bad fuel pumps and bad suspensions. I know anything mechanical can fail, and I know the Internet sometimes is not the best source of info, but this is crazy."

They are real problems. Somebody had them and posted them up. Then a lot of people talked about themBMW does not post its production number by model, so it is hard to determine if it is "normal". BMW also upgrades the bike without any fanfare so even the dealers are unaware of some of them or can tell you why.

I have a 2009 bike manufactured in 7/08. It had way too many recalls, and upgrades(fixes that did not warrant recalls because they did not endanger your life). Half of my riding is on fire roads and I was not impressed by the suspension.

BMW fixed all but the suspension under warranty. I did that on my own along with an Accelerator module to cure the abrupt throttle. Something you won't notice unless are putting around on rocky terrain at low rpm.

You are buying a 2013 bike that has different forks than mine. That ventilated flywheel on your bike will probably solve any stator issue. I had a cracked fuel tank that was replaced by a newer version. A lot of riders were in a hurry and got old stock only to crack again. Sounds like either old stock or an occasional new tank cracking. Don't worry about it, you have a 3 year warranty and 2 years on the replacement.

BMW made a better/thicker gasket for the valve cover. It is a wear item than riders pay for. Instead running to the dealer, if they had waited until service time, they would have gotten it without paying additional.

I have my own idea on fuel pumps. I don't think it is piss pore design. I ride year round, get gas from stations with a lot of customers and run an occasional dose of Techron in it. It has been fine.

Many of the bearing complaints came early and it was found there was a 2 month period when rear wheels had a constricted bores and not only ruined the original bearing but the replacement. Still a few bearing complaints but probably no worse than any other bike. I just grease mine.

I read about leaky water pumps occasionally, doesn't seem to be too many out there. I did not have that problem.

I have not had an issue in over 3yrs. Change the oil, check the clearance and go. It has never left me stranded.

A shaky start but I like it. So much so, that for much of my fire road travels I use it, instead of my thumper, because it is so much more stable.

It is the Internet, not everything you read is true. Go enjoy your bike

itsatdm screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 04:06 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #29
G-Mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
good idea

Quote:
Thats a good plan. Almost same as mine I have the F800gs Kalamata on order get it next month and I bought a xr250 for the little bit serious dirt I will be doing. Fun little bike. Cant wait for the F800gs. I still think I will miss my KLR650. Good thing I sold it to my brother
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
G-Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #30
ccooper OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mac View Post
Thats a good plan. Almost same as mine I have the F800gs Kalamata on order get it next month and I bought a xr250 for the little bit serious dirt I will be doing. Fun little bike. Cant wait for the F800gs. I still think I will miss my KLR650. Good thing I sold it to my brother
How long ago did you order yours. I ordered 2/7, and salesman said 60-75 days...so I'm hoping early/mid april. Good choice on color...mine shouldn't be too many #'s behind yours.