ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #196
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile
 
g容g's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 41.655984,-71.302657
Oddometer: 6,031
Interesting test rig on the Lotus



they tell me it is a Kistler RoadDyn: it measures wheelforces for gathering tire model data.
__________________
Greg
Europe 2013 Europe 2012 Europe 2011 England 2010 Gaspe PQ 2008 Nova Scotia 2007

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #197
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing
 
doyle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Off Piste
Oddometer: 22,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Oh, they've all talked about the quick tire degradation, about one good lap and then they go off apparently. It may be that they're not ripping Pirelli by name because they know that the manufacturer is only doing the FIA's bidding.

One driver had the nous to mention that this kind of tire made for exciting races last season. A driver with perspective, whodathunk it?
I detest that flavor of artificiality brought into F1, but at the same time, I am a fan of pit stops and the strategic influence they demand so I guess in a certain sense it's a bit hypocritical of me but I will reiterate the point I stated last season...which is that while Pirelli may be simply doing the bidding of the FIA, and since the main goal of being involved is to sell tires on Monday, that Pirelli would agree to showcase an incredibly inferior product in such a high profile way is mind boggling to me.

99% of the fans will not realize that Pirelli is simply providing the tire that the FIA asks for to create their version of excitement. What they will see is a tire, emblazoned with the Pirelli name, being blamed and discussed for such a small window of driveability. I find it hard to believe any marketing division would want to showcase their product under those circumstances.
__________________
Got Smugmug? Use code HWkDUhHwGv5Tc for a discount.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #198
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile
 
g容g's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 41.655984,-71.302657
Oddometer: 6,031
as far as the tires go.. I can see your point.
but, it seems to me the spin (in the end) and the fan understanding of the dynamics is much better than you give credit for. it seems to me the fans of F1 are pretty smart.. I'm a fan & I am smart ... but I digress

the fact that the tires are all the same (level playing field) and some drivers do better than others on different days doesn't seem to reflect badly on Pirelli.

I think they handle it all pretty well since it isn't a tire war anymore. now if there were a couple of suppliers, like the old days, and one set wasn't up to scratch, that would cause a big stink.
__________________
Greg
Europe 2013 Europe 2012 Europe 2011 England 2010 Gaspe PQ 2008 Nova Scotia 2007

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #199
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile
 
g容g's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 41.655984,-71.302657
Oddometer: 6,031
Button on tires:
Quote:
Button: 2013 tires easier to understand

February 22, 2013



Jenson Button is certain the 2013 Pirelli Formula 1 tires will offer a fair playing field despite their high degradation.
Although the rate at which tires lose performance has been a dominant theme of preseason testing so far, Button said that there has been no problem understanding how to get the rubber working, unlike last year.
"This year is more difficult in terms of graining than last year, but in terms of understanding the tire it's a lot easier," he said. "You can get it in its working range, and you know by lap three or four it's going to start graining.
"Compared to last season, it's more of a fair playing field. Last year there were teams who could the tires working but not know why. It was just because their cars worked with those tires. Other teams really had to fight to get those tires to work. They were really on a knife-edge.
"It took us six or seven months to really get a handle on the tires, like a lot of teams, whereas these tires are different. They're much easier to understand and easier to get in their working range."
But Red Bull's Mark Webber believes the revised tires still have potential to deliver 'random' results in another way. He argued that the anticipated high number of pit stops and difficulty in finding grip increased the prospect of top teams tripping up.
"We know when you have multiple stops and a lot of degradation in the races, there's more chance for things to go wrong, so there can be mixed results," said Webber.



This article originally appeared in Autosport.com
__________________
Greg
Europe 2013 Europe 2012 Europe 2011 England 2010 Gaspe PQ 2008 Nova Scotia 2007

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #200
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 72,217
I agree. Anyone who watches racing knows that tires degrade. So the only issue is how fast they degrade.

I don't think Pirelli is being harmed by this. Their brand is getting an enormous amount of exposure. People may be talking about tire degradation, but not in a way that reflects poorly on Pirelli.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #201
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile
 
g容g's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 41.655984,-71.302657
Oddometer: 6,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I agree. Anyone who watches racing knows that tires degrade. So the only issue is how fast they degrade.

I don't think Pirelli is being harmed by this. Their brand is getting an enormous amount of exposure. People may be talking about tire degradation, but not in a way that reflects poorly on Pirelli.
a snip from an interview with Eric Broullier at Lotus

Quote:
Like all teams, Lotus has struggled with tire degradation, with one of Romain Grosjean's race simulation stints cut short yesterday because of it. But Boullier is reserving judgement until the cars run in warmer temperatures. "It looks like they're degrading more," he said. "But we saw last year when it was cold that the tires were completely out of the [temperature] range, graining and degrading massively.
"We need to wait now to have hotter temperatures to see how the tires are working and if there is a big difference. In Brazil [using 2013 development rubber in practice] the tires weren't degrading that much."
__________________
Greg
Europe 2013 Europe 2012 Europe 2011 England 2010 Gaspe PQ 2008 Nova Scotia 2007

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #202
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer
 
Fajita Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Barboursville, VA
Oddometer: 715
I am worried about what this high rate of wear is going to do to passing. We saw last year that it was impossible to pass in some areas of a track just because of the rolled up rubber that was off the racing line. If there's even more (and possibly TWICE as much!!!) it could make passing completely impossible after the halfway point of the race because you'll be driving on a 3 inch deep bed of marbles if you try to pass someone.
__________________
2008 GSXR 600
2001 CR250R


Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #203
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.
 
A. T. T-W's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Centre of my universe
Oddometer: 4,417
All tyres shed rubber, there is always a clean and a dirty line. It makes no difference is there's more 'marbles' off-line (or even none at all), it will always offer less grip (off-line) because it is off-line.

Pirelli said that they'd make tyres that would have a certain lifespan in race conditions. They've said the same in the past and have done exactly that. We've yet to see how they perform in race conditions. So far we've only seen winter testing. They say that they've produced a tyre that is more easily "understood". I see no reason to disbelieve them but like last season, the variation in chassis performance will mean that some teams will find it easier than others.

It's fun to speculate, it's interesting trying to work out which teams are struggling and which are sandbagging but we won't know the truth until the first few races are done and dusted (last year, the first race performance of McLaren flattered to deceive, it looked as though they were going to dominate - Ha! How wrong that turned out).
__________________
Archibald Tarquin Throttle-Whistle Esq.
A. T. T-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #204
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 72,217
Poppa Bear comes out of hibernation.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #205
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
wannaklr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Back In Iowa. Quad Cities to be exactish..
Oddometer: 7,153
So who has the F1 races on tv in the US? Nothing on the Speed calendar for March 17th.
__________________
Back in Iowa!
I like my music like I like my women. Loud, angry and with bagpipes!

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #206
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 38,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
So who has the F1 races on tv in the US? Nothing on the Speed calendar for March 17th.
I believe they are going to be on NBCSports (formerly Vs) which is now Directv 220.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #207
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
wannaklr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Back In Iowa. Quad Cities to be exactish..
Oddometer: 7,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
I believe they are going to be on NBCSports (formerly Vs) which is now Directv 220.
Thanks. I even have DirectTV.
__________________
Back in Iowa!
I like my music like I like my women. Loud, angry and with bagpipes!

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #208
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 72,217
You'll recognize the speakers, too. Sadly, the best of the trio didn't make the jump. Instead we get Mr. Excitement, the man with no volume knob, Leigh Diffey.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #209
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots
 
Clem Kevin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
You'll recognize the speakers, too. Sadly, the best of the trio didn't make the jump. Instead we get Mr. Excitement, the man with no volume knob, Leigh Diffey.
I don't know one could like Varsha, Diffey, or Hobbs. They all drive me crazy; I would have endured the stupid speed commercials if they weren't there.
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #210
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
wannaklr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Back In Iowa. Quad Cities to be exactish..
Oddometer: 7,153
I liked the Varsha, Hobbes, and Matchett trio. It was like I was sitting around with friends watching races.
__________________
Back in Iowa!
I like my music like I like my women. Loud, angry and with bagpipes!

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014