ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
kano650 OP
more cowbell

Oddometer: 215
adding maps to Montana 650T

I purchased a Montana last week from Johnny Appleseed. The unit came pre-loaded with Garmin NZ and Australian Topo maps. After an afternoons test ride I reckon the topo maps are good, but its very annoying that you can't turn the contours off which greatly clutter up the screen. You can turn down the detail to reduce some of the clutter but tracks/roads disapear at lower zoom. So I've been trying to upload Shonky Topo without contours and Maps for Australia so I have another option if the Garmin Topo gets too annoying. So far I've been unable to get any additional maps to install on the unit using Mapinstall. Mapinstall shows the available maps installed on my PC saying "the following map products can be installed to your Montana 650T Unit ID xxxxxx. I select the maps, hit continue and Next and instantly i get he message "Maps not transferred to Montana, The data was not successfully sent". I can't see anything in event viewer or any log files thats of any help.

I subsequently rang Johnny Appleseed for some technical support but was quickly shut down by the guy there who informed me that he is not allowed to provide advise on installing non authorised maps on this unit. He even f#%n dramatised it to the point that he could lose his job if he told me or Johnny Appleseed could lose their licence with Garmin. I explained that they're actually freely available maps and I own the Montana but he continued to repeat this same garbage about not being able to advise me on how to add extra maps because its illegal.

So is this a fact, am I not allowed to install maps of my choice on this $690 unit? Surely this can't be right.
kano650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
PilbaraGoat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
I too an unhappy with the oztopo maps on my 650t.
It becomes virtually impossible to look for any detailed tracks unless
zoomed right in. When planning long trips through the outback this
makes it very hard to know where any track is going to end up.....

Very frustrating - and I think I spent way more than $690.00

I'd love to learn how to create my routes on my desktop
and then download them onto my GPS.....
(or perhaps even drive my GPS from my desktop using my enormous
and easy to read monitor),

Is this even possible? I've never had a gps before.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
kano650 OP
more cowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilbaraGoat View Post

Yep it certainly is with the Garmin Basecamp or Mapsource software. There's some good links to some tutorials in this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619167
Old 02-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
ausguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kano650 View Post
I purchased a Montana last week from Johnny Appleseed. The unit came pre-loaded with Garmin NZ and Australian Topo maps. After an afternoons test ride I reckon the topo maps are good, but its very annoying that you can't turn the contours off which greatly clutter up the screen. You can turn down the detail to reduce some of the clutter but tracks/roads disapear at lower zoom. So I've been trying to upload Shonky Topo without contours and Maps for Australia so I have another option if the Garmin Topo gets too annoying. So far I've been unable to get any additional maps to install on the unit using Mapinstall. Mapinstall shows the available maps installed on my PC saying "the following map products can be installed to your Montana 650T Unit ID xxxxxx. I select the maps, hit continue and Next and instantly i get he message "Maps not transferred to Montana, The data was not successfully sent". I can't see anything in event viewer or any log files thats of any help.

I subsequently rang Johnny Appleseed for some technical support but was quickly shut down by the guy there who informed me that he is not allowed to provide advise on installing non authorised maps on this unit. He even f#%n dramatised it to the point that he could lose his job if he told me or Johnny Appleseed could lose their licence with Garmin. I explained that they're actually freely available maps and I own the Montana but he continued to repeat this same garbage about not being able to advise me on how to add extra maps because its illegal.

So is this a fact, am I not allowed to install maps of my choice on this $690 unit? Surely this can't be right.
The answer is very simple transfer the map to a usb thumbdrive first rename the file to shonkymap the copy directly onto the device where you find the other maps
aus
ausguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
gpsoz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilbaraGoat View Post
I too an unhappy with the oztopo maps on my 650t.
It becomes virtually impossible to look for any detailed tracks unless
zoomed right in. When planning long trips through the outback this
makes it very hard to know where any track is going to end up.....

Very frustrating - and I think I spent way more than $690.00

Are you sure you are talking about OZtopo? OZtopo (as opposed to Garmins Topo Australia) holds track detail to very high level. OZtopo also has the ability to turn contours off on the GPS.

Download a sample from http://www.oztopo.com.au/v4_sample.htm and you'll see what I mean about track detail

cheers
brian
gpsoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
kano650 OP
more cowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausguy View Post
The answer is very simple transfer the map to a usb thumbdrive first rename the file to shonkymap the copy directly onto the device where you find the other maps
aus
Thanks mate, worked a treat.

If the supplier could have enlightened me like that they might have a repeat customer.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:40 AM   #7
luca9277
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
feeling pretty dumb but.. I've been playing around with the Montana and the Shonky map file but I cant get to see the map on the GPS, I did transfer it to the device but they aren't coming up, is there a specific folder I need to save the file into???
luca9277 is offline   Reply With Quote