User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #31
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Oddometer: 112
Friday 7/8 Day 7: Ride Destination: Noralee Resort

Day 7 was quite miserable as we woke up and it was still raining. So we put all our rain clothes on and went for the cold long day that was ahead of us. We encountered yet another moose and stopped to take some pictures.

As the day wore on we were not going to make the entire route because it was just way too cold. So my dad told me a special secret about living in cold weather. We took a stop in the next town that we arrived in and found the nearest laundromat.

We took our wet selves and bags into the store and sat everything down on the table. We talked to the owner for some time while we put stuff in the washers and took off our wet clothes to be dried. Now, the secret was that we didn’t really go to do our laundry but as we washed our fake clothes that didn’t really need washing we were actually getting warm. It gave us a reason to stay inside a warm place and regain body warmth.

Our boots were leaking so we did got dry socks and did the grocery bag trick.

Once nice and warm again we went on our way.

The rain let up and the rest of the day was warmer.

and as the afternoon wore on we came to our cabin for the night. The Noralee Resort, somewhere near well nothing.

Plastic Bag still on Missy Feet, still going still smiling.

Day was 250 miles, half of it in the cold rain, BTW the heated jackets and heated grips made a big difference.

Upcoming BC Railways Ride 2013 join in

gpskevin screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 09:01 AM
gpskevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #32
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclist View Post
I'm another one enjoying your report.

I have one of those funny looking green things and I'm wondering what kind of tires Missy has on it. I've been staring at the pics and can't decide whether the fender is raised a bit or not. Can't believe she's riding on the awful stock seat.

I'm planning to be out that way this Summer.
Front Tire on the Versys is a Bridgestone TW302 Trail Wing Dual Sport Rear Tire. It ran tubeless just fine and the front fender is raised about 1.25 inches.

You can see more pics at; Versys Luggage

But we have decided that we do not like this tire, as it wore it did bad cupping, we have decided that we like the Shinko 705 Series Dual Sport Rear Tire 120/90H-17 TT . It is a little less agressive tred, but it still does great in the dirt.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #33
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Thanks, Kevin. Yeah, the 705s seem to be popular. Some 17" front dual sports are starting to be available.
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #34
Fishenough
Team Lurker

Oddometer: 126
Thumb

Kevin, my Son and I finally had the time to watch your video together, of your ride across America with Jeffery. That was fun!

We had to pause many times for comments, memories, and just plain poking fun. Such as the good times of crashes with no injuries, and the chuckles later with a dash of teasing. And my son commenting how I'd be telling everyone to slow down riding past four legged animals; such as cow, water buffalo, deer, and scary when running moose (I was taken out badly in my youth riding on one wheel, on a very noisy 2 stroke, past some road side cows. They can move fast when they want to)

Though my son's eagerness to follow this RR might be due to more than motorbikes.

Thank you...... and please don't play with baby black bears (I see from your pics you kept your distance)
Kevin
Fishenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #35
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishenough View Post
Kevin, my Son and I finally had the time to watch your video together, of your ride across America with Jeffery. That was fun!

We had to pause many times for comments, memories, and just plain poking fun. Such as the good times of crashes with no injuries, and the chuckles later with a dash of teasing. And my son commenting how I'd be telling everyone to slow down riding past four legged animals; such as cow, water buffalo, deer, and scary when running moose (I was taken out badly in my youth riding on one wheel, on a very noisy 2 stroke, past some road side cows. They can move fast when they want to)

Though my son's eagerness to follow this RR might be due to more than motorbikes.

Thank you...... and please don't play with baby black bears (I see from your pics you kept your distance)
Kevin
Fishenough:

It is good news when your son can guess what you are going to say, it means he has listened. Acting on it is a different story. I am always saying that cows have a messed up mind, somehow they run in front of you to avoid you especially the little ones. I get your sons interest in the story, you might tell him to join the BC Railways ride this summer, if Missy does not find a job, she will likely be on the ride. BTW where is north of 56?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #36
Fishenough
Team Lurker

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskevin View Post
Fishenough:

It is good news when your son can guess what you are going to say, it means he has listened. Acting on it is a different story. I am always saying that cows have a messed up mind, somehow they run in front of you to avoid you especially the little ones. I get your sons interest in the story, you might tell him to join the BC Railways ride this summer, if Missy does not find a job, she will likely be on the ride. BTW where is north of 56?
We are in Fort St John, BC, now. My son obtained his learner licences at the beginning of the year yet I will not let him ride or drive until all roads here are no longer white. He did though have his Thai motorcycle licence from 15 to 16, and he would be starting his final year of high school at the time of your ride.

Your route would be a treat on a motorcycle. Before last moving overseas him I spent 3 months traveling around BC, putting in large amounts of miles of backroad exploring each month.

If I look harder, I'll can find pics of him at the Sloguet hot springs, etc. Ps, that is quite a route for 1 week! (Hmm, easier to get the time off work)

Old 02-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #37
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

7/9 Day 8: Ride Destination: Stewart

Day 7 started out much better. The rain had stopped but we woke up to a 1.8 degrees C temperature. That’s almost freezing. It was so cold so we got dressed in all our rain attire yet again to ensure warmth and be safe in case any rain came along during the day. We saw another bear and it was walking around eating while we were taking pictures.

We made our last gas stop at an indian village called the Gitanyow Indian Reserve. They had a long history of Totem Poles

The route into Steward is fantastic:

We rode all the way to Stewart BC and tons of people along the way have asked if we were going to get Hyderized. (This as we heard from people, is where you go to a local bar and you get a shot of grain alcohol. If you can keep it down you get a certificate and you have officially been hyderized. If not you must buy an entire round of drinks for the bar. You sign the bill and put it up on the wall of shame.) A fun little tid bit, but no I did not partake in such activities. As we drove the last 30 miles into Stewart the mountains were absolutely gorgeous. The mountain tops are snow covered with waterfalls flowing down the mountain side. Some are even covered in beautiful glaciers.

Made it to Stewart and had dinner at the Silverado Cafe:

Missy had the Pizza:

After Dinner we stopped and talked to a group of riders working on a BMW F800GS. It seems they parked the bike and went in for lunch then when they came out the bike would not start. This was a group of 3 couples from New Zealand. They had shipped their bikes to the states and were all doing a vacation to Alaska. They had been working on the bike for several hours and it seemed as if it was getting no fuel. I took a look and agreed that it looked like for some reason the bike had decided not to feed fuel.

The only help they could get was to hire a truck to take them and the bike to where? The nearest BMW dealer was 1000 miles away in Vancouver. Wow their dream trip to Alaska had been ruined. Latter I would learn that it was a defective Fuel Pump that BMW had known about. In the USA BMW was forced to do a recall, but in the other countries BMW did not do that. So these people were left on their own. It totally ruined their vacation. It seems like BMW was more interested in themselves then their customers. Wow BMW Bad!

The day ended at the Ripley Creek Inn

Complete with Chicken just running around the place.

Went to bed starting to worry about my own BMW. That kind of thing can't happen to a BMW HP2 right?

Missy could always save me on the Kawasaki!

Upcoming BC Railways Ride 2013 join us
Old 02-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #38
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,666
Great report!

I hope that a few years from now, my daughter and I can enjoy a similar type adventure.
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #39
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishenough View Post
We are in Fort St John, BC, now. My son obtained his learner licences at the beginning of the year yet I will not let him ride or drive until all roads here are no longer white. He did though have his Thai motorcycle licence from 15 to 16, and he would be starting his final year of high school at the time of your ride.

Your route would be a treat on a motorcycle. Before last moving overseas him I spent 3 months traveling around BC, putting in large amounts of miles of backroad exploring each month.

If I look harder, I'll can find pics of him at the Sloguet hot springs, etc. Ps, that is quite a route for 1 week! (Hmm, easier to get the time off work)

Fishenough: Thought you both might enjoy this: This is Missy last year on a trip to the Arctic. This was the first time in her life that she saw Buffalo.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #40
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Sunday 7/10 Day 9: Hyder Alaska now! GLACIERS

Today was by far the most beautiful day of the entire trip. We went into Alaska and saw some spectacular glaciers. In the morning we woke up and got ready for the day. The days plan was to go into Hyder, Alaska and see grizzly bears at an outlook spot and also view the three huge glaciers that covered the mountainsides. We headed from Steward BC into the small ghost town that was Hyder.

We rode to the grizzly outlook but to our disappointment we saw no grizzlies. The Ranger said we were a week too early.

We could not see any Salmon in the river.

The Visitors center had the only grizzly that we would see.

We traveled on up the 30 mile trail to the glaciers. They were absolutely amazing. I can’t even describe how beautiful they were. If you have never been to see one, I highly recommend it. By far the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my life!

Missy keeps saying: Dad this is awesome, this is the best thing I have ever seen in my whole life!

We came across this sign, and of course Missy said, Dad lets go see. So we continued, right what could go wrong?

This does not mean us, we came a long ways to get here, no turning back now.

Turned out to not be too much, just more cool stuff

On the way back we came across these structures, we were not sure what they were for. We think that this is where you hide from Grizzlies or maybe you pitch your tent on it. But it seemed really hard to get on.

That was it for us, time to say good by to Alaska

We went back down the trail and crossed the border back into Canada and stopped for lunch at a small restaurant in town. Our day was officially done but we decided to keep riding and take some miles off tomorrows ride.

Saw another Black Bear, no big deal to us now.

So we rode about another 150 miles and are spending the night at a cute little motel in Terrence.

Great Day!

Upcoming BC Railways Ride 2013 join us
Old 02-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #41
Fishenough
Team Lurker

Gun mount for avalanche control after a good snow load.

Looks more fun for use as a jungle gym (Sssesh, young people)

Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #42
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,035
Great report once again... It's good to see that your daughter retained her sense of Adventure as she got older... Some kids enjoy the outdoors when their young but lose interest as they get into the late teen years...

A lot of people think these Glaciers are in Alaska, but in actual fact they are in Canada as you cross the border back into B.C. not long after the fish viewing platforms...

Missy keeps saying: Dad this is awesome, this is the best thing I have ever seen in my whole life!

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 11:47 AM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #43
Gaulin
Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer: 101
Nice report so far guys. I'm anxiously awaiting more as I'm in the middle of planning an Alaska trip right now.

Also checked out your sig-line links to your upcoming rides. The TCAT ride looks incredible, I'll be spending today researching it. I had no idea about this trail until seeing your report, so thank you.

Keep it coming,
Glenn

"It would seem to me I remember every single fu**ing thing I know" - The Hip
Gaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #44
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskevin View Post
Front Tire on the Versys is a Bridgestone TW302 Trail Wing Dual Sport Rear Tire. It ran tubeless just fine and the front fender is raised about 1.25 inches.

You can see more pics at; Versys Luggage

But we have decided that we do not like this tire, as it wore it did bad cupping, we have decided that we like the Shinko 705 Series Dual Sport Rear Tire 120/90H-17 TT . It is a little less agressive tred, but it still does great in the dirt.
If your tire cups most time u just need to adjust your rebound
Old 03-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #45
rescueMAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
So, where have you guys gone???
rescueMAN is offline   Reply With Quote