Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #17566
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Yeah, I dont get into all the "must do" mods either. No matter what ya do, the DRZ will always be heavy as hell. 3x3 mod will just make your airfilter dirty as hell really quick. FCR carb will give a lil power, but mostly cost alot AND ruin your MPG. I changed tires, added a thick skid plate, added a DRC rear tail light. Removed the blinkers and mirrors and ride the piss out of my 2012 every chance I get.

I bought a DRZ because I didn't wwant to have to waste all my time working on my bike, and DRZ's flat out last if ya change the oil and filters.
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #17567
ol'dan
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
If it ain't broke....

Mines been running on E blended fuel for 11 years. Nothing wrong with it.
I'm just taking some time during the winter to do some preventative maintenance. Things like greasing bearings, changing oil, clean the air filter and lube the chain. I choose not to run the bike into the ground and then take it 40 miles into the back country. I replace the battery at the first sign of starting problems and fix anything that is not working properly ASAP. I'd rather spend my time riding than walking home.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #17568
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,893
I recently bought a nearly new 2012 DRZ400 that runs and handles great. I am moving from a KTM 640 adventure. This bike is hands down better for just about everything except, the 640 would cruise at 90 all day if you wanted The DRZ seems to do the same minus 10 or 15 mph, that makes it the perfect bike for me.
first up was to mount my Zega bags. I scored the SW Mototech mounts and so far I love them.

I started to inspect the bike, starting with the front wheel. I read about the lack of grease in the steering head. Turns out it was bone dry on the bottom bearing.

not one speck of grease.
I noticed a rather crude bend in the front down tube and thought this must be the final tweek to get the geometry right.

the paint looks un touched and the stickers look good so I guess this was a factory adjustment.
After getting the front end back together I started to look at rejetting the carb. Once started I found the clamps holding the carb to be completely loose and finally removed it after some wiggling and loosening of the rear sub frame. Waiting for a jetting kit now and next up will be the swing arm. I expect it to be in the same condition as the steering head.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #17569
SKINZ
Geo Steve

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJHero View Post
Yes, ive been using the choke to try to start it. Previous owner said it would fire right up, even in cold weather with just the choke, no throttle. I have tried without the choke a few times just to see, no change though.
Any chance you have the petcock on "prime" and not "on" and are just flooding it?
SKINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #17570
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I hope that you folks are keeping an eye on the DR 790cc build. Part 1 did not work that well, but Procycle is fixing things up for part 2.

It's the best show in town this year.

From Jeathrow Bowdean in Western Canada. PS: Who knows, this could save your motor project some day !!!
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #17571
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I'll look at my tube Mars, but I'm sure that this is not a factory thing. I'm wondering if it's from shipping or when the dealer put it together thing. I hope the tube in not dinted to bad. They are pretty tuff in that spot !!!
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #17572
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeathrow Bowdean View Post
I'll look at my tube Mars, but I'm sure that this is not a factory thing. I'm wondering if it's from shipping or when the dealer put it together thing. I hope the tube in not dinted to bad. They are pretty tuff in that spot !!!
the thing runs and handles great, it has me puzzled too.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #17573
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars View Post
the thing runs and handles great, it has me puzzled too.
there are some other posts from other threads that talk about this. it seems to be normal.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #17574
Jimo368
intrepid traveller

Oddometer: 133
Mars, I came close to buying a 640A before getting the DRZ. Haven't ridden it yet and now wondering how the KTM would be?
Jimo368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #17575
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
im at a complete loss of where to go now besides digging into the carb or valves, and being as that is just was running,cant see the valves getting out of adjustment from the truck ride. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
I had similar problem while back. Before i started to dig into the engine/carb repertoire i took off the gas tank cleaned well with soap & water rinse well with water only, let it dry till next day and before reinstall it blow air into it from powerfull compressor. I took few minutes to double check the petcock (remove & inspect). I filled it half way, added carb cleaner to it. It started right up, and idled like new bike. I still have to use the choke to start it no matter what though (cold or hot weather).
Old 02-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #17576
XJHero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINZ View Post
Any chance you have the petcock on "prime" and not "on" and are just flooding it?
Yes actually, i didnt realize that this was a prime position, thought it was a reserve, and my tank only has a gallon or so in it. Didnt think it mattered...on that note, what exactly is the prime for and how do you use it properly?...And if thats the case, would def explain why it flooded. On that note, how would I go about clearing a flood out of this style engine...im more used to kick bikes(WOT, open choke, kick it a few times), unless ive been doing that wrong too...seemed to work on my XRs no prob.

Quote"I had similar problem while back. Before i started to dig into the engine/carb repertoire i took off the gas tank cleaned well with soap & water rinse well with water only, let it dry till next day and before reinstall it blow air into it from powerfull compressor. I took few minutes to double check the petcock (remove & inspect). I filled it half way, added carb cleaner to it. It started right up, and idled like new bike. I still have to use the choke to start it no matter what though (cold or hot weather). " Quote.

I actually heard almost the same thing from someone else yesturday, except they did that with the carb and tank, same results....looks like Ill just start with the tank and gas, after clearing the CC and making sure theres no gas in there or my oil.
Thanks a lot guys, appreciate the advice.
XJHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:53 AM   #17577
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
A 790cc DR-Z would be an interesting engineering project...
ya, i'm wondering if he posted in the wrong thread... the dr790 (drbig) is a couple slots down...

but i want one
Old 02-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #17578
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Yes actually, i didnt realize that this was a prime position, thought it was a reserve, and my tank only has a gallon or so in it. Didnt think it mattered...on that note, what exactly is the prime for and how do you use it properly?...And if thats the case, would def explain why it flooded. On that note, how would I go about clearing a flood out of this style engine...im more used to kick bikes(WOT, open choke, kick it a few times), unless ive been doing that wrong too...seemed to work on my XRs no prob.

Quote"I had similar problem while back. Before i started to dig into the engine/carb repertoire i took off the gas tank cleaned well with soap & water rinse well with water only, let it dry till next day and before reinstall it blow air into it from powerfull compressor. I took few minutes to double check the petcock (remove & inspect). I filled it half way, added carb cleaner to it. It started right up, and idled like new bike. I still have to use the choke to start it no matter what though (cold or hot weather). " Quote.

I actually heard almost the same thing from someone else yesturday, except they did that with the carb and tank, same results....looks like Ill just start with the tank and gas, after clearing the CC and making sure theres no gas in there or my oil.
Thanks a lot guys, appreciate the advice.
Is your bike a Cali version? I didn't think the klxr had a prime position on the petcock?

If its flooded I wouldnt start it. Replace the o ring in the seat Assembly and change the oil before you start it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk 2
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #17579
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimo368 View Post
Mars, I came close to buying a 640A before getting the DRZ. Haven't ridden it yet and now wondering how the KTM would be?
I think the DRZ is better. I rallied my 640 in the Mount Hood Rally twice and never really got to stretch it's legs much over 70 mph.

Bikes staged for the Mount Hood Rally

Leaving one of the timed stages

layered for a frigid morning start

I did leave Mountain Home Idaho with a desire to ride in anger once. I made it to Jarbidge Nevada in a little under 90 minutes. Total of 118 miles. I was completely off road all the way and just in the mood for speed. The bike would do 110 tucked in and 90 to 95 standing. I spent most of the trip standing because of road conditions. That's about the only time I would put the 640 over the DRZ.

I was able to get some help with the 640 suspension by some of the Dakar folks at the Dakar Rally Experience. Kellon Walch let me ride his factory Dakar bike and that gave me a bench mark for the suspension. I was able to get the 640 close to that with some drastic suspension changes. I took the DRZ out last weekend on some deep gravel and big wash board surfaces. It did great, I have been afraid to touch the suspension. compression was at 12 clicks and the rebound was a 16.

Personally I would have done better with the DRZ in a rally but I haven't ridden it with lots of gas too. I think one of the problems with the 640 was gas sloshing around in that big tank and it was real heavy if full. Looking back, tank foam is the answer and I will do that to the DRZ when my new 3.9 gallon tank arrives.

Planning to ride the Oklahoma Adventure Route this year and hopefully a trip to Mexico later in the year.

I did like the large road book on the 640 as a factory option. Easy to install and worked great.

Nevada Rally Experience roadbook.

It had a neat glow at night too.

To sum it up, 640 was slow out of the box without considerable de restricting, it was heavy, later bikes just had the 990 suspension slapped on and needed considerable tweaking. good points: very fast after de restricting that included a new muffler, suspension was good and not great after new springs and steering head with damper, handling was slow (this was good at speed), ergonomics were great (I could stand all day on that bike) it was dependable and great range.

liviing in Idaho is great too. Lots of good memories, I feel kind of ship wrecked in OKC now.

I can't wait to get this guy out for a trip.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #17580
mars
Starbucks anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etnQjYxgiQQ
video of myself in the Mount Hood Rally