Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #6976
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
I really hate to burst your bubble, but today's gas does not give accurate plug reads. It will show if it is sloppy rich and black and sooty, but otherwise not really at all. The best way of all is a wideband o2 sensor in the pipe. In lieu of that, start with a running combination that someone else has tried and fine tune from there if needed.

I have tried nealy every jet, slide, emulsion tube, carb synch combo I could dream of over the years. I have finally achieved a point where I think it is as good as I can get with limited parts. I find now that if I change something today, like needle clip position, I generally change it back tomorrow. That is a good sign that I am very close.

I did it all with the butt dyno method over several years, I would go months at a time with no change because it was really quit rideable but..... I guess I just can't leave well enough alone if I think I can get better.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #6977
TonyfromOR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edouard_Bracame View Post
Anyone knows where I could find the white seal wich is installed on the edge of the fuel tank on a XL600 LM?

Many thanks,

I'd be more concerned about who's been shooting at your tank!
TonyfromOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #6978
wvspike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
foot pegs

will xr footpegs work on an xl600r?
wvspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #6979
m2h
"Old guys rule"

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
I live near sea level too, but have much larger jets in my 87 XL. 125 primary carb, 118 secondary.

Bigger bore usually doesn't need drastically different jets, but yours sounds too lean to start with from my experiences.
Thanks Dave I had the feeling the bike was not getting the gas so i think you're onto it with regards the jetting. I will take your advice and am going to try a 120, 118, 65 combo. Will let you know how it goes. Am still waiting for my conrod to arrive from partzilla
Regards
M2H
m2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #6980
Edouard_Bracame
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyfromOR View Post
I'd be more concerned about who's been shooting at your tank!
I have 4 other tanks in spare don't worry, I even have a brand new one, but the white seal is not installed on it...reason why I try to find it on the aftermarket, anyway if anyone of you guy's can check at the opportunity of a visit to an automotive part shop in the US, I would really appreciate, I have checked here in Thailand but so far for...no success.

I might try as well when I'll be back to Belgium for Easter vacation next April...but I haven't seen something like this for sale so far...
Edouard_Bracame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #6981
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Oddometer: 296
New Owner, Old Bike

Proud new owner of this fine machine. Kindly donated to me by a friend, this '83 XL has 34K showing on the odometer, the previous owner tells me it had a full top-end rebuild about 10K miles ago. Bike runs strong but has trouble idling. First thing I want to do is get a new front tire, then go through the front suspension and the carbs. Could use a rear fender as it's been rear-ended and there's some cracks.

I'd really like to upgrade the suspension somewhat, try to get some more travel out of it. Whatever I do it's going to be on a budget. All I want out of it is a useful machine that works well and doesn't look too bad.

If anyone has any advice, especially carburetor info and good sources for parts let me know!

Cheers!

ElMartillo screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 08:45 PM
ElMartillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 AM   #6982
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMartillo View Post

If anyone has any advice, especially carburetor info and good sources for parts let me know!

Cheers!
PM me your E-Mail and i send you my selfmade Carburator discription
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:27 AM   #6983
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edouard_Bracame View Post
I have 4 other tanks in spare don't worry, I even have a brand new one, but the white seal is not installed on it...reason why I try to find it on the aftermarket, anyway if anyone of you guy's can check at the opportunity of a visit to an automotive part shop in the US, I would really appreciate, I have checked here in Thailand but so far for...no success.

I might try as well when I'll be back to Belgium for Easter vacation next April...but I haven't seen something like this for sale so far...
In Thailand you get only the black one , and thats hard to find in
local Hardware shops .
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #6984
royal120
n00b

Oddometer: 7
In need of R/H panel for XL600R 1983

Hi all, Does anyone have or know where i can get a right side panel for a XL600R 1983. I have looked all over!!! I live in the United Kingdom so not easy to get your hands on.....

Also i have not seen any other xl600r with this rear fender has anyone?

Also the colour of this bike??? only seen a few online like this i thought the 1983 was all RED?

royal120 screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 07:22 AM
royal120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #6985
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,313
That might be the Australian XL. I think they have laws on colors of motorcycles over there.

I was looking at street legal sand tires, and they're frigging expensive! And I want one of those LM tanks, I'd paint it like the earlier tanks and slap it on my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.

RFVC600R screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 12:04 PM
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #6986
R. Smith
n00b

Oddometer: 7
http://www.dcvmx.com/xcart/product.p...cat=269&page=2

DC plastics. They have red and white.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
R. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #6987
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal120 View Post
Hi all, Does anyone have or know where i can get a right side panel for a XL600R 1983. I have looked all over!!! I live in the United Kingdom so not easy to get your hands on.....

Also i have not seen any other xl600r with this rear fender has anyone?

Also the colour of this bike??? only seen a few online like this i thought the 1983 was all RED?
Thats some kind of aftermarket rear fender.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #6988
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
DC plastics sidecovers don't have the tits that plug into the rubber grommets, they screw on instead. i have seen nuts welded in where the grommets used to be to make removal and installation easier. Still better than none at all. Sometimes original covers pop up on eBay.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #6989
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvspike View Post
will xr footpegs work on an xl600r?
Yes they will, you will have to drill a larger hole possibly.
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #6990
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,313
Okay I need to change gearing for offroad.

I have been getting better at riding since changed my fork seals and put in heavier fork oil (I think it was 15w idk) and I've been getting way more trail time in and riding by myself. I've been confident the last two weeks and been climbing hills like a mad man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vodpzXj0dw Skip to 4:15 to see what I've been practicing on, going up of course. It's scary as hell the first time you do it, kind like, dropping in on a skateboard. and theres about 10 trails of varying difficulty all in this one spot. you start out in soft sand, and by the time you shift into third you run into some whoops right before the actual climb, so you have to blitz them WOT just to get up the hill. I get about 1/3 up the hill and the engine starts to sound strained so I try to down shift to second before that happens and then launch the rest of the way up the hill in second gear in really high revs. I think I might be stressing the engine out more than I need to be but it's just too damn fun.

Also, when I'm riding the really tight single track in the mountains, I'm constantly jumping from 1st to 2nd 3rd over and over again. 1st is too much revs and wheel spin and 2nd and 3rd gears are too weak to huck over a hill.

I'm about to buy a 13t front sprocket to swap in when I do serious dirt riding. but I want some thoughts first. btw I'm running stock gearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote