Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 04:28 AM   #256
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
Could do I suppose, I think 10 weight is probably about right in this application ... a lot of people put 5 weight in their standard XChallenges and thought it was an improvement. I'm actually going to try a couple of clicks more rebound next time I ride it, so I'll see what happens.

The major issue with the rebound is (surprise!) that the cartridge with the rebound adjustment could have been better!
PM' you with some questions
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:59 AM   #257
Baitfish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Shiver me F8

Got the machining done last week and it was a perfect job.
Put it all back together over the weekend with no problems

Sag measurements are approximately (I had my wife measure while I held the bike) -
40mm (no rider) & 60mm (with me but no gear).
Now all I need is some time to give it a test ride and see how much tuning it needs.
Assuming it performs as well as others here have had, this has been a cheap upgrade.

Now, any suggestions for the rear ?
Baitfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #258
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,309
I listed my F800GS for sale... forks may be available in a swap + cash. PM me if anyone is interested....
Old 10-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #259
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
I listed my F800GS for sale... forks may be available in a swap + cash. PM me if anyone is interested....

Another one bites the dust...

690 or 990? ;-)
Old 10-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #260
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
Another one bites the dust...

690 or 990? ;-)

Lol... No thanks. More like an SV650 trackbike & smaller dualsport maybe.
Www.precisiontrackdays.com
Old 10-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #261
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Or just PM me & buy my bike complete. :) 10.5
Old 10-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #262
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

decided to keep it. Another year of (possible) adventure riding
Old 11-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #263
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
decided to keep it. Another year of (possible) adventure riding
Good man!
Buster714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #264
MAJTHUMPER
NW adventure rider

Oddometer: 16
Laugh Time to go for it

Ok so last year I found the limits of this suspension time and again! Actually almost sold the bike after a particularly bad day of riding that end with my Alt Rider blast plate being ripped from the bike and breaking the mounts on the front of the belly pan! Luckily it broke high enough I didn't lose oil, but the ride was done for the day and it was early... At least the plate did its job well. There are at least 3 really deep grooves torn into it from the rocks. I lost count of how many times my feet (pegs actually) hit the ground as I "g'd out" thru the high desert whoops. And yes I slowed from my normal race pace because I'm not on a race bike... But I'm old and not really fast anymore to start with so that should be good enough. Regardless, this suspension, as has been discussed at length, is not what it should/could be. And on all my other bikes I've reworked the suspension so it's time to do the same for the bike that I otherwise really love.

I've sent a PM to gangplank asking for a little help and hope to use the same guys he did. I'm also looking for a company or shop that can work on the shock. In a perfect world, I'd like to add travel to both ends. I'm tall enough to reach with a couple inches to spare even with my seat concept (great mod btw) seat. Any info you guys have would be great. I'm in Boise Idaho and sadly there aren't any machine or suspension shops that can handle this stuff.

Also on the list is low fender delete and the beak gets replaced prob with a ktm fender. I have the fix kit for the upper shock and I'm thinking of switching skid plates to Black Dog. Their system mounts to the frame not the belly pan...
I'm also adding a steering stab and taking the rox off. New brake lines are already here but not installed. Anybody ever just go with a single caliper/different (non abs) brake lever?

Any thoughts are welcome.
'00 BMW K1200 LT (loaded)
MAJTHUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #265
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJTHUMPER View Post
Ok so last year I found the limits of this suspension time and again! Actually almost sold the bike after a particularly bad day of riding that end with my Alt Rider blast plate being ripped from the bike and breaking the mounts on the front of the belly pan! Luckily it broke high enough I didn't lose oil, but the ride was done for the day and it was early... At least the plate did its job well. There are at least 3 really deep grooves torn into it from the rocks. I lost count of how many times my feet (pegs actually) hit the ground as I "g'd out" thru the high desert whoops. And yes I slowed from my normal race pace because I'm not on a race bike... But I'm old and not really fast anymore to start with so that should be good enough. Regardless, this suspension, as has been discussed at length, is not what it should/could be. And on all my other bikes I've reworked the suspension so it's time to do the same for the bike that I otherwise really love.

I've sent a PM to gangplank asking for a little help and hope to use the same guys he did. I'm also looking for a company or shop that can work on the shock. In a perfect world, I'd like to add travel to both ends. I'm tall enough to reach with a couple inches to spare even with my seat concept (great mod btw) seat. Any info you guys have would be great. I'm in Boise Idaho and sadly there aren't any machine or suspension shops that can handle this stuff.

Also on the list is low fender delete and the beak gets replaced prob with a ktm fender. I have the fix kit for the upper shock and I'm thinking of switching skid plates to Black Dog. Their system mounts to the frame not the belly pan...
I'm also adding a steering stab and taking the rox off. New brake lines are already here but not installed. Anybody ever just go with a single caliper/different (non abs) brake lever?

Any thoughts are welcome.
Just sent you an email... I can probably help you out.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #266
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Talking

epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #267
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baitfish View Post
Got the machining done last week and it was a perfect job.
Put it all back together over the weekend with no problems

Sag measurements are approximately (I had my wife measure while I held the bike) -
40mm (no rider) & 60mm (with me but no gear).
Now all I need is some time to give it a test ride and see how much tuning it needs.
Assuming it performs as well as others here have had, this has been a cheap upgrade.

Now, any suggestions for the rear ?
How did these settings work out for you?
Old 02-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #268
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

So I've now got everything apart on the bench, lowers are going to be machined Sunday.

At the moment, I'm trying to figure out what to do about reducing travel, if anything.
The stock F800 setup preloads the spring to about 20lbf required to initiate travel from free (topped out) length. The RXV spring and preload spacer while 40mm taller when topped out, if compressed to the f800 length is about 25-30 lbf force. A little higher spring rate from OEM.

I'm considering not reducing the travel at all, because I gain a little bit of preload (ride height) while increasing down-travel by about 40mm. I can't really see a problem with this, because if the ride height is a little off, I can move the forks up in the trees by a little bit.

So, assuming all else equal, any drawbacks to a little extra down-travel? Am I missing some part of the equation?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #269
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Old 03-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #270
ShaunJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Hi
Bought the following forks to do the conversion

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/husqvarna-...50616854753%26

As i understand it i basically use:
GS sliders and tubes
Donor top cap, internals and comp adjuster.

My question is if i didn't use the top out spacer (40mm) would the sliders come out of the tubes too far or would i just get the full 300mm of the donor forks?

And could someone post up the required diameters and depths to be machined in the GS sliders?

Thanks
ShaunJ

ShaunJ screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 09:18 AM
ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote