ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #31
MsLizVt
pfft ...
 
MsLizVt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Killington, Vermont
Oddometer: 1,501
Just curious ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourG View Post
So I've taken both wheels off again and tried to straighten the front forks, all with no luck.

While I was toying with the rear wheel I noticed it has a tiny bit of play. I'm wondering if this is causing the issue I'm feeling.

I also, somewhat unscientifically, tried to figure out the direction of the rear wheel with string. It seems the wheel is pointing slightly to the right side of the bike.

Paralever bearings?

FourG, hi!

Hope you don't mind me reviving this thread, but just curious how you made out with finding the alignment issues?

Thanks!


Liz
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #32
FourG OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt View Post

FourG, hi!

Hope you don't mind me reviving this thread, but just curious how you made out with finding the alignment issues?

Thanks!


Liz
Unfortunately I haven't resolved it yet. I took it to a dealer to have them "diagnose without Diagnosing" and they seemed stumped as there was nothing obvious.

I may be bringing it to an alignment specialist in the north bay soon.
FourG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #33
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Orangevale, CA
Oddometer: 1,004
Thumb alignment - DIY

Put it on the center stand. Be sure the tires are fully seated on the rims with proper air pressures. Are your wheel straight and true? Spin and eyeball them to check.

Put a straight 2x4 on edge (2" side against the tire) up next to the tires to align them straight. Do they line up? It may be a bit touchy because the front and rear wheels aren't the same width, but it can be done. You can clamp the 2x4s to the rear wheel and use equal spacers on each side of the front wheel to get it clamped in.

Accurately measure from the ends of the axle back to the foot pegs (assuming the pegs aren't bent) to make sure your front wheel are is in line.

If the wheels are out of alignment or the front wheel/axle measurement isn't the same on each side, loosen and adjust triple clamps to get the measurements equal and the wheel and forks in line.

Leave the wheels clamped straight. Accurately measure from each handle bar end to the front axle end and from the handlebar ends to the foot pegs. It should be the same on each side. Accurately measure from handlebar ends back to the luggage brackets. It should be the same on each side.

If not, the bars are bent.

Still seems to wander off? Put it on the stand on level ground, clamp the wheels again and check vertical alignment of the front wheel with a plumb bob or a level.

Ken Fritz screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 10:52 PM
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #34
MsLizVt
pfft ...
 
MsLizVt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Killington, Vermont
Oddometer: 1,501
Just trying to be helpful ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourG View Post
Unfortunately I haven't resolved it yet. I took it to a dealer to have them "diagnose without Diagnosing" and they seemed stumped as there was nothing obvious.

I may be bringing it to an alignment specialist in the north bay soon.

FourG, hi!

Thank you for the update. It's certainly a curious dilemma.

Just wondering, do you have a friend who you could swap wheels and tires with for a ride? The only reason I ask, is you mention you had put on the new Tourances, and a week later you can feel the pulling more than ever.

Thanks!


Liz
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:34 AM   #35
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe
 
Hay Ewe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: FNQ - AUS
Oddometer: 2,506
Hi!
unusual to see a new thread / topic in the gspot after a while....

anyway, I am going to suggest the driveshaft in the paralever.
Years ago I pulled mine and when re-installing, I didn't aline the UJ's correctly (there are a few other topics in here about that)

The caracteristics of the bike changed some what, would fall in to right hand corners and I had to really work it to turn left.
Whilst you note you haven't done anything to the paralever, I am putting forward that there could be wear in it that is causeing the pull to the right.

I suggest that you check everything else first, start with the simple items and work to the harder. (Its not hard to pull the drive shaft though)

Hay Ewe
__________________
Moments before you die, your life will flash before your eyes - make sure the film is worth watching - my Grandad
I like your logic - its alternative - Ninja Wranga 03-Aug-13
WWBD? -
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #36
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe
 
Hay Ewe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: FNQ - AUS
Oddometer: 2,506
Hi
I was thinking abotu this some more when I rode my 1150GS to work this morming, quick things

Take the panniers off - remove a varible - do a road test
take the windshield off - remove a vaible - do a road test
do the above two one at a time so if there is an effect you know which one it was

Is the direction of rotation of the tires correct? sounds like a silly thing and I dont know whyit might make a difference but some thing has changed and you said that had changed tires - some thing easy to check

I like problems like this, something to think about - thanks Liz for reviving it

Hay Ewe
__________________
Moments before you die, your life will flash before your eyes - make sure the film is worth watching - my Grandad
I like your logic - its alternative - Ninja Wranga 03-Aug-13
WWBD? -
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #37
FourG OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt View Post

FourG, hi!

Thank you for the update. It's certainly a curious dilemma.

Just wondering, do you have a friend who you could swap wheels and tires with for a ride? The only reason I ask, is you mention you had put on the new Tourances, and a week later you can feel the pulling more than ever.

Thanks!


Liz
I don't unfortunately. That would be an interesting test.
FourG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #38
FourG OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
Hi
I was thinking abotu this some more when I rode my 1150GS to work this morming, quick things

Take the panniers off - remove a varible - do a road test
take the windshield off - remove a vaible - do a road test
do the above two one at a time so if there is an effect you know which one it was

Is the direction of rotation of the tires correct? sounds like a silly thing and I dont know whyit might make a difference but some thing has changed and you said that had changed tires - some thing easy to check

I like problems like this, something to think about - thanks Liz for reviving it

Hay Ewe
Unfortunately I tried the following this past weekend with the same issue.
FourG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #39
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer
 
roger 04 rt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Oddometer: 2,034
Most of the reason for pull is a side to side weight imbalance. As little as five pounds can keep you from hands free riding. To counteract this there is often a rear wheel offset on the R1150, each 2.5mm of rear wheel offset counteracts about 5 lbs. of side to side weight imbalance. Try adding 5 lbs, at a time to the side opposite the pull and see how much it takes. Here is where I ended up on my 1150RT.

roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #40
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur
 
DRONE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA-ish
Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourG View Post
So I've taken both wheels off again and tried to straighten the front forks, all with no luck.

While I was toying with the rear wheel I noticed it has a tiny bit of play. I'm wondering if this is causing the issue I'm feeling.

I also, somewhat unscientifically, tried to figure out the direction of the rear wheel with string. It seems the wheel is pointing slightly to the right side of the bike.

Paralever bearings?
Not an expert by any means, and you said the dealer is stumped, but if the rear wheel has play doesn't that immediately point a finger at the final drive tapered wheel bearing? I'm not sure if you mentioned the mileage on the bike, or previous FD maintenance, but 1150 FD's have a tendency to self destruct somewhere between 50K and 100k miles. Could post several linkys here, but here's the most obvious one. Did you eliminate this as a possible cause?
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #41
FourG OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Not an expert by any means, and you said the dealer is stumped, but if the rear wheel has play doesn't that immediately point a finger at the final drive tapered wheel bearing? I'm not sure if you mentioned the mileage on the bike, or previous FD maintenance, but 1150 FD's have a tendency to self destruct somewhere between 50K and 100k miles. Could post several linkys here, but here's the most obvious one. Did you eliminate this as a possible cause?
To be honest, I think I'm just being lazy. I think I will try to do the bearings soon as I'm now planning a 10k ride through Alaska for August... Better be safe than sorry. We'll see if it kills 2 birds with the one bearing.

Thanks all for your input.
FourG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #42
the_menno
Forever Noob
 
the_menno's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: The Peg
Oddometer: 174
My vote is for gyroscopic procession.
__________________
Questions are a danger to you....... and a burden to others.
Mr. Krabs

the_menno screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 01:05 PM
the_menno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #43
FourG OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_menno View Post
My vote is for gyroscopic procession.
Due to? New Tires?
FourG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #44
the_menno
Forever Noob
 
the_menno's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: The Peg
Oddometer: 174
Due to a rotating crankshaft along a longitudinal plane, is my answer.

Like member Bemiiten said: 'Heavy crankshaft spinning along the bikes axis causes a torque effect. They all do it'.

I have to agree.
__________________
Questions are a danger to you....... and a burden to others.
Mr. Krabs
the_menno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #45
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer
 
roger 04 rt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Oddometer: 2,034
Weight imbalance side to side, which is the same as rear wheel offset errors as I mentioned earlier.

The crankshaft rotating along the longitudinal axis only produces a short term force due to changes in angular momentum caused by changes in rpm. Once the engine is steady, no more force.

Try adding 5lbs. at a time in either side case and see what happens.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014