User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #16
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
shipping times

Shipping from the east coast it may only 2 weeks, but from the west coast or inland, it's a lot more - like twice as long each way. That's 2 mos. without your bike while it's in transit. That makes renting more viable.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #17
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fritz View Post
Shipping from the east coast it may only 2 weeks, but from the west coast or inland, it's a lot more - like twice as long each way. That's 2 mos. without your bike while it's in transit. That makes renting more viable.
If time is short, then you have the option to send by air, too. That doesn´t take long. But there are many variables involved in every shipping, so it´s hard to say exactly, what it is gonna cost you (unless you use the readymade services offered by some companies, but they´re usually on the expensive side, though they naturally make the whole process easy for you).

Generally I´d say by air is better, if the distance is relatively short (across the Atlantic is not very short, but it´s not very long either like, say, US east coast to Australia would be). And by air is usually more straightforward and faster to clear the vehicle at the destination. Seaports can be a pain, as they handle a huge volume of freight, and they do not necessarily load your bike into the ship last, or pick it up first after arrival. Loading and unloading a whole cargo ship can take a long time.

Also when there are delays, which can always happen, when you send by sea, it easily means days or weeks of extra waiting. By air, possible delays are normally only a few hours, or maximum few days (which is actually rare, when using airfreight).
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #18
IanJ
Criminal Mastermind

Oddometer: 27
+1 on renting for a 2 week trip. I'm looking to do the same thing for a 5 week trip, and will most likely be buying a bike via fellow inmate Wheatwhacker. For a 2 week trip, I would definitely rent. I'd actually love to ship my bike there and back, but from Seattle, the charges are just too high. I think 3-4 weeks is the break-even point for renting vs. buying and selling.
1973 Honda CL175 (the little bike) - for sale $1k
PM for details on for-sale bikes
IanJ is offline   Reply With Quote