Oddometer: 858
Great thread! Very well equipped bike.
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #167
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,501
Here's a tip for you... I ended up replacing the stock locks on my Happy Trails panniers with the Southco locks below. The advantage is that you don't have to keep track of the padlocks and these locks don't bang on the boxes as you ride.

I used the PN# K4-2833-07 IIRC

http://www.southco.com/en-us/k2-k3-k...=false&filters=

Great build so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.

SOLO LOBO screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 04:13 PM
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #168
oldschoolsk8ter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Wow!!! This build came out amazing!!

No expense spared, my DR is jealous!!!

How has it felt offroad? Track well?

For proper frame stiffening a great resource is here. Tony is a great guy and very smart.

http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/Fr...d/KawaMods.htm

Again well done!
oldschoolsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #169
motodavid2000 OP
MotoDavid

Oddometer: 228
Keyed Pannier Latches

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
Here's a tip for you... I ended up replacing the stock locks on my Happy Trails panniers with the Southco locks below. The advantage is that you don't have to keep track of the padlocks and these locks don't bang on the boxes as you ride. I used the PN# K4-2833-07 IIRC

Great build so far!
Solo Lobo -

Thank you very much for the tip on the Southco latches. I found a local distributor that carried the Southco product line, and ordered a set of identically keyed latches for all the panniers and I have installed them. I used stainless steel machine screws and red Loctite on the keyed latch vs. the stock rivet setup. The latches are one hell of alot better than the padlocks; and faster to open & close with the single keyed set of locks / latches.

Here are a couple of pics of my finished panniers with the new keyed latches:

Side keyed latch on the extra large topbox:

Riding my DR650 on the Tail of the Dragon...with the old pannier padlocks flapping in the breeze:

DR650 Adventure Bike Build: Click Here

motodavid2000 screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 06:11 PM
motodavid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #170
bustedsprocket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
wire harness

I have been looking through the pictures posted on your build and was curious how you relocated the wire harness from behind the stock headlight. If you have any pictures or details it would be great. I have the same headlight on my dr650 and the wire cluster is held in place above the headlight plug. It would be nice to clean this area up.

Thanks-
bustedsprocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #171
motodavid2000 OP
MotoDavid

Front wiring harness relocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedsprocket View Post
I have been looking through the pictures posted on your build and was curious how you relocated the wire harness from behind the stock headlight. If you have any pictures or details it would be great. I have the same headlight on my dr650 and the wire cluster is held in place above the headlight plug. It would be nice to clean this area up.

Thanks-
Unfortunately I don't have any in-progress photos of how we disassembled the front wiring harness for the headlight and turn signals, which included circuits for the handlebar mounted switchgear.

We unwrapped the entire stock wiring harness and then bundled the circuits according to final location and then "re-packaged" and re-wrapped them on either side of the main frame spar and behind the headstock primary gusset - location as shown below in the disassembly photo of the area where we ultimately relocated the majority of the bulky (& ugly) front wiring harness.

The larger plastic IMS fuel tank also provided a little more space between the tank and the frame than the stock tank IIRC.

Hope that helps - Dave

Old 10-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #172
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 557
Wiring

A lesson learned the hard way.

If you are going to work with your wiring harness anyway on a DR650 move the wiring and clutch cable to the left hand side of the steering head. This makes things much easier for inspectors at border crossings and less chance of errors which can really bite you at the next crossing. Wasted about 1/2 hour the last time I was leaving Mexico due to the fact that the inspector couldn't get a clear photo of my vin number.

TravelGuy
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #173
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
A lesson learned the hard way.

If you are going to work with your wiring harness anyway on a DR650 move the wiring and clutch cable to the left hand side of the steering head. This makes things much easier for inspectors at border crossings and less chance of errors which can really bite you at the next crossing. Wasted about 1/2 hour the last time I was leaving Mexico due to the fact that the inspector couldn't get a clear photo of my vin number.

TravelGuy
I hear you on that , also give it less chance of rubbing through I took some old black garden hose that secured with a self tapping screw and used it as a loom guide after cutting a slice down one side and leaving a flap that the screw passed through. I then angled it up and through the LH side of my steering head. Sorry for the lack of pics as I am attending School on the mainland

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #174
Tukata
ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer: 1,416
Updates????

Tukata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #175
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by motodavid2000 View Post
Tom -

Good to hear from you. Hope that you are enjoying Costa Rica.

No, you are not under any misconception. From my classes back at Purdue University so many years ago, the head pressure of the fuel is the delta in fluid levels. The issue becomes flow rates to the carb from the tank, combined with dropping fluid (fuel) levels and reduced head pressure.

Without spending time calculating some theoretical point, I am sure that the carb can be "starved" of fuel when a combination of low head pressure (low fuel levels) and high flow rate (fuel draw) causes insufficient fuel delivery to the carb based upon engine needs. I think that this would be experienced at very low fuel levels and higher loads & revs on the engine; perhaps exagerated with high altitude operation.

My general take is that the carb should not be starved of fuel when it is at least 25% or more full of fuel, operating at any reasonable engine load.

My fuel line loop below the carb inlet would cause a loss of a small amount of fuel not being available for the engine, and possibly an air bubble to form. This would be an extreme case, and the engine would / may be starved of fuel before that time with low head pressure and higher engine loads.

I don't think that the engine would starve at idle until the fuel reached the level of the fuel tank petcock intake.
Take care - Dave
1st Great read and info.

Shouldn't the siphoning(as mentioned before) of fuel by motor running negate most of the prob created by low fuel/pressure.
It has always bothered me to see when the fuel line drops below inlet but have seen many bikes (DR especially) running that way with no prob.

Really enjoying this build
RIDE SAFE
May as well Laugh
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #176
motodavid2000 OP
MotoDavid

Wintering in the south

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukata View Post
Updates????

Tukata -

Thanks for following the thread and for asking about the status of the build and the testing. The DR650 is slumbering comfortably during the cold & snowy winter up north in a garage while I am wintering in the south.

Unfortunately I am also awaiting knee surgery in the May time-frame to repair / remove torn cartilage, so my moto days are limited due to this fairly recent, but rather miserable, problem.

Seems like the Grim Reaper is lurking around & getting impatient.....!

Dave

Old 02-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #177
BenS
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodavid2000 View Post

Unfortunately I am also awaiting knee surgery in the May time-frame to repair / remove torn cartilage, so my moto days are limited due to this fairly recent, but rather miserable, problem.

Seems like the Grim Reaper is lurking around & getting impatient.....!

Dave
I appreciate the extra time and attention you have put into documenting your project for us. Despite my trepidation, I'm inspired to overcome my fears and perfectionism and dig in to my long neglected DR. Her problems are ridiculously trivial, but intimidating to me, nonetheless.

Best of luck with your surgery!

I'm a fellow Ohioan (Ashland), keeping the faith that spring is on its way.
BenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #178
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,126
Quote :I'm a fellow Ohioan (Ashland), keeping the faith that spring is on its way. unquote

I'll yell when it is coming up I-70. lol

Sent using Tapatalk 2
RIDE SAFE
May as well Laugh
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:59 AM   #179
motodavid2000 OP
MotoDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenS View Post
I appreciate the extra time and attention you have put into documenting your project for us. Despite my trepidation, I'm inspired to overcome my fears and perfectionism and dig in to my long neglected DR. Her problems are ridiculously trivial, but intimidating to me, nonetheless.

Best of luck with your surgery!

I'm a fellow Ohioan (Ashland), keeping the faith that spring is on its way.
Hi Ben -

The good thing about the DR650 is that it is a relatively simple motorcycle, and almost any mistake can be fixed by copious amounts of money and additional work time in the shop....

Good luck & dive right in - Dave

ps - I see yet another snow event is en route to Ohio.....

Old 06-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #180
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,333
OUTSTANDING BUILD! I'm looking to add a DR650 to the garage and really enjoyed your build. Thanks and stay safe.