User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
ShawnWorks OP
Rock on!!!

Oddometer: 243
One World. One R 1200 GS. My "AWESOME" journey thru the US of A!

Hey Fellow Adventurers,

So, after returning fresh off the BMW R 1200GS Press Launch in South Africa (Quite possibly one of the coolest things I’ve ever done… You can read about it Here), I have found myself at home, returning to the life of a typical Adventure Riding enthusiast… You know, scuffing skid plates and fixing flats and whatnot. After all, I had done what I was asked to do: Ride the new liquid-cooled BMW R 1200 GS, write about the bike, and in general just share the love experienced at the Launch. Good stuff.

So it came as a bit of a surprise when ANOTHER call from BMW came in to discuss ANOTHER event… The One World, One R 1200 GS Tour.

Of course, I knew a thing or two about this tour. Late last year, BMW had held a contest to put 5 lucky riders on a new, 2013 Water-Cooled R 1200 GS… Each contestant would get to ride the bike through one of 5 parts of the world: Asia, New Zealand, Africa, the USA, and Europe. After each leg of the tour, the R 1200 GS would be shipped to the next leg, where another winner would be put aboard and led through the host country. The whole event would be photographed, videoed, and written up for the world to enjoy (You can read more about the tour Here. Nice!).

Like many aspiring adventurers, I entered the contest; but wasn’t chosen to ride. No worries, I didn’t really expect to be. There are so many awesome candidates out there, after all. And with the trip to South Africa in my pocket, I felt I had more than my share of good times at the behest of BMW Motorrad.

But BMW had other plans.
“We want your assistance in choosing a route for the US leg of our tour. And, if you’re available, we would like you to join the tour on one of our new 2013 R 1200 GS’s… Basically as a guide and ambassador to the GS and your country. What do you think?”
Whoa. Dude.
“Hmmm. So let me get this straight… You want me to help plan a tour, then ride around on a new R 1200 GS with one of your contest winners?"

“Yes.”

“For how long?”

“About a week.”

“…”

“…Hello?”
And so, my next adventure on the new GS is about to begin… On Wednesday, March 6th, I will join a small contingent of riders and media folks, beginning our trek from Southern California on a multi-day tour through parts of the Good ol’ USA..! Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

And like before, I want to write about the experience and share it with my adventure brethren… So stay tuned as the adventure unfolds… Rock on!

- Rosalia de Castro
ShawnWorks is offline   Reply With Quote