Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #211
the kawasaki kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
This thread makes me feel woefully inadequate as a KLR owner... Looking good GG.
the kawasaki kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #212
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,110
Are my pictures still showing up ?
For some reason they are not showing up for me when I view the thread from my phone.
Instead of a picture it shows a blue box with a question mark ?
I don't have access to another computer right now so I can't check from that.
Can you guys still see them ??
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #213
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 773
I see them.
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #214
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
I see them.
Ok, thanks.It must just be my phone then.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #215
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,070
Looks like a good job man... I have a couple KLRs and I love mine... I have done some "UPGRADES" to mine... It looks like you have a few more tools than I do... What tool is that you use to remove the shock spring.?

Here is a few pics of mine...

Screaming Beaver 2011 017 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

and the other... mostly stock...

Charles Karalt trail 1 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

You have entered into an epic journey...
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #216
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Wparkinson-Nice bikes !! I can see your photos.For some reason my phone isn't seeing photobucket pictures though.
That tool is a homemade spring compressor that I quickly threw together with stuff laying around but it still would not get the monster 550 inch lb.Eibach spring off, so I ended up having to use a shop press anyway.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #217
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,341
GG:

Enjoying your project. Got to head over to the shop myself here soon.
Pics show up for me on PC and Droid w/ tapatalk.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #218
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Led running lights

I made up some aluminum brackets and mounted a couple of Led liscence plate bolts facing rearward.

They seem to be super for increased visibility, and together don't even draw a watt.

I hope I don't get any grief from police over them.

With the mobile texters on the road today I am trying to be as visible as possible, not to mention the drunks and medicated.I was hit from behind on a bike years ago.

I also worked on the heated grips and power point wiring.I am running the heated grips through a mini relay so the switch can live a longer life.

I considered eliminating the heated grips because they don't get as hot as I would like but decided to keep them.I powered them up and shot the temp with a laser temp gun and got around a 100-105 surface temp on the grip itself so I guess that is better than nothing when your cold.

Hopefully I don't catch any flak though on the led rear lights, does anyone have any experience with this, as far as issues with the law ?

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 04:38 PM
Old 02-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #219
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
I made up some aluminum brackets and mounted a couple of Led liscence plate bolts facing rearward.
They seem to be super for increased visibility, and together don't even draw a watt.
I hope I don't get any grief from police over them.

With the mobile texters on the road today I am trying to be as visible as possible, not to mention the drunks and medicated.I was hit from behind on a bike years ago.
I also worked on the heated grips and power point wiring.I am running the heated grips through a mini relay so the switch can live a longer life.
I considered eliminating the heated grips because they don't get as hot as I would like but decided to keep them.I powered them up and shot the temp with a laser temp gun and got around a 100-105 surface temp on the grip itself so I guess that is better than nothing when your cold.
Hopefully I don't catch any flak though on the led rear lights, does anyone have any experience with this, as far as issues with the law ?
Don't know about Michigan, but CHP out here are not fond of BLUE lights on back of a bike. Not sure about Green. Probably OK.

Heated grip tips.
I run the typical Dual Star/Symtec kit on my DR650. It's not bad but if temps get below about 32F, can't be felt much... but ALWAYS better than nothing.
Super thick gloves keep you warmer ... but means you may not feel your heated grips much. Compromise.

1. insulate handlebar with elec. tape or ? ... then use a THIN rubber grip over the heating element. Thick grips suck up all the heat.
2. Some Vendors offer "Snow Mobile" heated grips. These are higher output. Use caution if you use a plastic throttle tube. The Snow Mobile grips can MELT the throttle tube. Many buy the Renthal ALU tube so no melting!

Good grounds and clean routing are important. The DR650 only puts out 200W total ... so we have to "budget" elec. output. I run 35W HID light to conserve juice ... which tends to help up the output on the grips a bit. I also run a 77W Gerbing.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #220
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Don't know about Michigan, but CHP out here are not fond of BLUE lights on back of a bike. Not sure about Green. Probably OK.

Heated grip tips.
I run the typical Dual Star/Symtec kit on my DR650. It's not bad but if temps get below about 32F, can't be felt much... but ALWAYS better than nothing.
Super thick gloves keep you warmer ... but means you may not feel your heated grips much. Compromise.

1. insulate handlebar with elec. tape or ? ... then use a THIN rubber grip over the heating element. Thick grips suck up all the heat.
2. Some Vendors offer "Snow Mobile" heated grips. These are higher output. Use caution if you use a plastic throttle tube. The Snow Mobile grips can MELT the throttle tube. Many buy the Renthal ALU tube so no melting!

Good grounds and clean routing are important. The DR650 only puts out 200W total ... so we have to "budget" elec. output. I run 35W HID light to conserve juice ... which tends to help up the output on the grips a bit. I also run a 77W Gerbing.

Yeah,technically everything is illegal nowadays.lol

I am going to run the Green LEDS through a switch so I can turn them off if need be.
I dont have alot more electrical output than you so I also have to conserve where possible.I picked up a adjustable rheostat for my Gerbings so I can dial it down,and installed a voltmeter so I can keep an eye on everything.

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 04:41 PM
Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #221
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Yeah,technically everything is illegal nowadays.lol
I am going to run the Green LEDS through a switch so I can turn them off if need be.
I dont have alot more electrical output than you so I also have to conserve where possible.I picked up a adjustable rheostat for my Gerbings so I can dial it down,and installed a voltmeter so I can keep an eye on everything.
My DDM Tuning, single bulb 35W HID kit ($25) gave me back 20W. Nice. But when I really NEED 100% from the Gerbing and grips, I switch off headlight.

Illegal in CA, but no cop has EVER bothered about it here. At night I use a "real" Heat Troller for Gerbing jacket which is more sophisticated than a typical rheostat. It's some sort of Pulse Wave controller invented by the owner of Warm & Safe (now owned by First Gear). Really saves battery as it continually switches OFF and ON. Keeps jacket fairly warm, gives Stator a chance to charge up Batt. Seems to work well.

For LONG night I have to lower Gerbing down to about 75%, grips set to Low. But if doing only an hour or three ... I can run at 100%, battery OK.

The HID 35W kit seems to help and puts out 3 times the light over stock 55W H-4. Plug and play, $12 replacement bulb. Going on 3 years, still working perfect.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #222
KnowFear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
KLR or Vstrom 650?

This is the best KLR thread I've seen.

I'm trying to decide between a new KLR, or a new 650 VStrom. One is more dirt and one is more road... I know all the major differences.

Does anybody here have some experience with both of them? If so, can I get your thoughts on living with one vs the other?

The older I get, the more I appreciate simplicity. However, I really appreciate quality suspension so it seems that either bike will need suspension work to satisfy me. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #223
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowFear View Post

I'm trying to decide between a new KLR, or a new 650 VStrom. One is more dirt and one is more road... I know all the major differences.

Does anybody here have some experience with both of them? If so, can I get your thoughts on living with one vs the other?

The older I get, the more I appreciate simplicity. However, I really appreciate quality suspension so it seems that either bike will need suspension work to satisfy me. Thanks in advance.
I'm glad you are enjoying the thread.
What are you planning on doing with either bike, or what kind of riding and whats most important to you ?
You really can't go wrong with the wee strom either, unless the klr really speaks to you.
More than likely the wee will do more better of what you want, but it will cost more and be a little heavier.
The wee has always appealed to me.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #224
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowFear View Post

They are very different bikes. Best to test ride both before making a decision. If you ride more than 50% off road I would go with the KLR.
I owned 2 V-Stroms, an '02 and an '06. Both were DL1000's. But I rode with 2 guys on Wee Stroms (pics below) and we swapped bikes frequently.
I know the Wee pretty well.

I loved the Wee on a tight, twisty road ... and with knobbies on, it's better than the 1000 on dirt roads. The Wee has some power and smooth cruising over the KLR, but if you get into mud, deep sand, steep up or down dirt roads on the Wee ... you are in trouble. Trust me on this.

In a strong headwind the Wee runs out of POOP ... and the MPG goes in the toilet. My V-Strom had no such issues. Wee and V stroms get blown around BADLY in gusty cross winds. The KLR is pretty stable, not affected like the Wee is, which can have you changing lanes suddenly. Maybe the "new" adventure version is better in the Wind?

Wee, KLR and my DL1000 in Copper Canyon, 2006

One of three major tours into Baja and Mexico on my Vstrom. 90,000 combined.

My first ride to Copper Canyon (2004) on the Vstrom. Here with friend Andy T who was headed to S. America on his KLR. He made it of course.

On rough dirt roads on a loaded bike the KLR rules over the Wee. More fun, less stressful. The Wee will do it ... but you will work harder as a rider. I'm a retired AMA B enduro rider ... and it stressed me. I loved my Vstrom but was never 100% comfortable riding it off road. Not good in Mud or Deep sand ... but neither is the KLR .. but better than the Wee.

The KLR is underpowered and needs suspension and better brakes. It's a blank canvas ... and you won't believe HOW MUCH BETTER it will get if you do all the right mods. The KLR is a "Slow Down, Smell The Roses" sort of bike. Once you adapt to it's pace and relax ... it's great.

The Wee needs fewer fixes. It's tough as nails. The Wee pictured above was up to 65,000 mi. (with LOTS OF OFF ROAD) before my buddy sold it off.

At about 50,000 miles you need to go through the WEE and replace ALL the bearings on the chassis and linkage arms: Swing Arm, Steering head, Link, and Wheel. It's gets loose and sloppy. The new bearings tighten things up, like a new bike again.

Not sure about the KLR ... and how it ages with time, miles and hard use.
I'm sure it's similar, especially if ridden fully loaded off road.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:08 AM   #225
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Wee and V stroms get blown around BADLY in gusty cross winds. The KLR is pretty stable, not affected like the Wee is, which can have you changing lanes suddenly.
Why is the KLR (gen 1) stable in wind? (I don't mean to hijack the comparison, but hope we can have another parallel discussion.)

There's a question in Trip Planning about riding in wind with top boxes. I was going to respond that it's not usually problem but decided that although I've been out when trees* were being blown over, maybe I just haven't experienced the right winds. I often have a top box on my KLR and only on the KLR.

I also have two 500-lb Honda road bikes. They ought to be similar, right? The CB750 SOHC is stable and planted and precise. The CX500D gets blown around a lot more (the suspension is softer but not as soft as my stock KLR). Both these road bikes use the same soft luggage.

So what gives? Is this a function of rake and trail and sail area at the front wheel? Looking at the KLR I'd immediately conclude: kite. I'd be wrong. Why?

(Is this as bad as a countersteering thread?)

* Fir trees may be stronger than balsa wood, but not by much.

Grinnin screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 05:32 AM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote