Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2007, 07:44 AM   #31
HUSKYraceteam
smedley

Oddometer: 31
Pit crews can be had for as little as $125.00 for the Baja 500. If I were doing the Baja 1000 for the very first time, I'd either, A- Race the Baja 500 first for experience or if not that B- Race the Vegas to Reno for experience in day and night racing or C- race a lot of desert races to train for 100+ mile stints in the saddle. Those of us lucky to be living on the border can take rides more often into Mexico, both day and night.

Plan pre running into your vacation plans for the Baja races. Even if you only see the course once, it will be better than not at all. Contingency day, you can always pre run ther start out to 30 miles or so. Motorcycle/quad contingency consists of three sponsor's that I'm aware of? That and sign up and tech should take you all of 1 hour and your day is over.

For guys racing the night sections, the day time and night time looks way different. But seeing it at least once during the day will allow you to pick out reference marks so you dont get lost OR stop in the middle of the night and have to wait for the next bike/quad/buggy/truck to come by to reassure you are on the course. Baja is pitch black out at night during the 1000. That's step into your closet, close the door and turn out the light dark.

You enter the Pro Classes, you start that much further ahead of the TT and Class 1 buggies. Start in the Sportsman classes, you start much closer to the TT's and Class 1 buggies. It just depends on your comfort level. The farther up to the front you start, the less dust you will ultimately eat too. I think Score still allows up to eight guys on a team. For each person over 4, you pay $50.00 extra per. A 500 mile race with 8 guys relates to 60 miles per racer. For the Baja 1000, that comes down to 125 miles per racer. Just food for thought if you are looking to cut down costs involved with doing the whole thing yourselves.

Remember, at race end, someone owns that bike. Whether it be you or several of you, or someone else, the bike is yours to repair. Most Baja bikes need a top end job after race end (B1k). One little mistake (such as not screwing on the air cleaner correctly or tightly enough say at night) can cause you to suck enough silt to warrant a top end and possibly lower end job when the race is over. Race someones elses bike, they handle the pits and take that respnsibility. All food for thought is all that is. I raced a Baja 1000 back in the 90's and our bike came to the finish line with a rip in the air cleaner the next morning. One of us five guys was in a hurry and poked the mounting screw thru the element and not the mounting hole. End result, we all paid for a new top end, crank and shaft at race end.

Just another part of racing.

HUSKYraceteam screwed with this post 01-30-2007 at 09:15 AM
HUSKYraceteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:11 PM   #32
mikekay
toiling midget

Oddometer: 228
If you want to gain insight into what it would take to race Dakar, consider coming over and racing Ironman in the Vegas to Reno. Its in many ways similar to day 3 or day 4 at Dakar.

Vegas to Reno is cheaper, easy to chase/self-pit, and much easier to access for most than Baja.

I've had european racer buds come over in late May, race the Baja 500, sleep on the couch for a few weeks and then do Vegas to Reno. More bang for the airfare. Just an idea.

Lots of guys will set up a standard XR650r for Baja. Chris Haines has been doing in the longest. Rob Barnum does it as well. For a KTM ride talk to Scott Harden. BajaHusky or Uptite Racing will rent ya a Husqvarna. Trail Boss would probably set ya up on a Yamaha 450. In a pinch we could probably get you a Sherco....That said--personally i've always found that building the bike was an important part of the total experience.

Bikes can be airfreighted from Europe for 1000 euros or so. Pick up trucks can be rented in the US for 50 euros a day. My favorites were the Israili bike team at the Vegas to Reno a couple years back. They used a U Haul box van, sleeping with the bike. Just some ideas.
mikekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #33
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,784
From my race report: Link

I spent a little more than $4k to do the race solo. That was with generous contributions from advriders for pit support, already owning the bike, and sleeping on the ground a fair amount.

Tim's package at $8k is a bargain, IMHO- I happened to luck out, but his expertise and connections will make luck for you.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #34
Randy Babcock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Team Big Sky

We ran it last year! Just four guys...two raced and the other two did pit service and ran riders around. Pre ride and it become obvious where to switch riders. Use a pit service (Baja pits for us were great!) We finished..barely, but had the time of our lives. We bought a used XR650R, ran our personal bikes on the pre ride and used an extra XR650R that one of us owned for spares. Nice to have tires already mounted to use for spares. We rented a house and cooked all our meals and made lunches for the pre ride...initial costs were a bit high after buying a race bike and trailer and learning our way...this year we have it covered! nothing like experience! If we can come all the way from Montana to race, anyone can! Hard to imagine anyting that's more fun!
Randy Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:37 PM   #35
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,369
I came across this site http://www.chrishaines.com/youracebaja.htm

Toll Free Phone: (866) 262-8635
Learn from our experience!

* Full race Honda XR 650 R
* Race lights
* Spare wheels
* Tires
* Misc. spares
* Equipment available for rent or sale
* Rental trucks
* Drivers and mechanics
* Honda pit support
* Hotel reservations
* Pre run
* Charter aircraft
* Call for pricing and details
* You Race Baja is fully customized to your abilities and skill level
* Learn from our experience

Check out our Photo Gallery to see our Equipment and Supported Race Teams. Call for prices and availability.

BAJA RACE SCHEDULE 2006

March 10 - 12 Score San Felipe 250
June 2 - 4 Score Baja 500
November 15 - 18 Score Baja 1000
Old 02-15-2007, 11:59 AM   #36
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,343
$?

Haven't actually added it up yet. We will have pit support from a Mexican team that my father-in-law (Peruvian living in Bajamar) has hooked us up w/. He has actually set-up our whole schedule for pre-running and racing. They have been kind enough to pre-run w/ us and share thier 20+ years of 500 expereince. I have been going to Baja and riding for many years and my father-in-law and I have always wanted to do this race. In my mid 30's now, I finally have enough dough to pull it off. we'll let you know how it shakes out............
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:57 AM   #37
GnarlyKarle
aka: ici_moto

Oddometer: 1,264
Hey Guys,

I might of missed this but any idea on the cost to rent/buy a (transponder) tracker.

Thanks.

-dk
GnarlyKarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:13 PM   #38
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
If you mean tracker as in an Iritrack, I dunno, I'd bet it aint cheap (or needed imo). This is the chingis that does almost live tracking online.
If you mean the required RallyTrack thing it's like $200 after getting your deposit back when it's returned undamaged. This unit only stores info, does not "send" info, and is post-race downloaded by the company that owns them and the info inside (where you went and your speeds) is not public record (unfortunately).
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:13 PM   #39
GnarlyKarle
aka: ici_moto

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaboundmoto
If you mean tracker as in an Iritrack, I dunno, I'd bet it aint cheap (or needed imo). This is the chingis that does almost live tracking online.
If you mean the required RallyTrack thing it's like $200 after getting your deposit back when it's returned undamaged. This unit only stores info, does not "send" info, and is post-race downloaded by the company that owns them and the info inside (where you went and your speeds) is not public record (unfortunately).

Cool, thanks.

I was referring to the RallyTrack. I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal to print out the race info after you pay 200 bucks to rent the thing.

-dk
GnarlyKarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:44 PM   #40
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ici_moto
Cool, thanks.

I was referring to the RallyTrack. I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal to print out the race info after you pay 200 bucks to rent the thing.

-dk
If you are talking about the one SCORE makes you rent, good luck on getting your data from them. I tried after the 500 last year and they gave me the run around the finally quit responding to my emails
johnson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #41
HUSKYraceteam
smedley

Oddometer: 31
Thumb

You can lease Hondas, Huskys or race your own bike for the Score series Baja races. The key word here is race. Come on down and do this race. If you like it, come back for the 1000 in November. If time and money are a problem in June, race the V2R race in Nevada with BITD. But the Baja 500 is too much fun to skip altogether. Get 4-8 guys together and split the costs. It will be a lot cheaper then whether you lease or race your own bikes.
HUSKYraceteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #42
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
bumping an old thread... I know... shame on me!

Anyways... anybody around here have an updated budget?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #43
AngryShawn
Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
bumping an old thread... I know... shame on me!

Anyways... anybody around here have an updated budget?
Too many variables to put it in the ballpark...
It all depends on how well supported you want to be (multiple chase trucks or a pit service), you bike (is it prepped or not), your spares (do you have any), how you like to travel (hotels or sleeping in the back of the truck).

Entry fees for sportsman are around $875 and with gas, food and lodging, you are already over a grand, it all adds up...
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #44
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryShawn View Post
Too many variables to put it in the ballpark...
It all depends on how well supported you want to be (multiple chase trucks or a pit service), you bike (is it prepped or not), your spares (do you have any), how you like to travel (hotels or sleeping in the back of the truck).

Entry fees for sportsman are around $875 and with gas, food and lodging, you are already over a grand, it all adds up...
Is one chase vehicle enough? Bike is prepped... as for spares.... I feel I should be adequate on spares. I actually prefer camping over hotels.

My "plan" would be to pre run the course with a buddy and do a lot of camping. Then a few days later race the course.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #45
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaboundmoto View Post
You can rent complete packages for the Baja 500 that includes support trucks with drivers, pre-run bikes, new Honda race bike, Honda Pits (the best), hotels, etc... for around $8000.
All you have to do is fly in, pay attention, have a clue what you're getting into, and be safe.

For 1st time Baja racers who are new to Baja (even local) renting is a great way to learn and be walked thru it.
For teams located a great distance away it's a fantastic way to get it done.

But what would I know.....

(thanks PackMule and WONB2K!)
I 2nd, 3rd, and 4th this motion. This is how we did Baja the first couple times we did it......it truley is priceless, it is as close as mere mortals are going to get to feeling like a factory racer. Plus it gives you more time to take everything in and actually enjoy yourself knowing all your logistics are taken care of, right down to the best fish taco stand Actually going back to baja for the MEX1K and still using Bajabound, they are great!
johnson357 is offline   Reply With Quote