User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 91 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #916
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Get a lighter bike like a EX500 or something beef up the gangplank... Commute inland.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #917
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Yeah ... I had a sailboat for awhile. One of my few disappointments in life is that I am a lousy sailor. The boat rolls, and that gets my vertigo going big time.

I have fantasized about getting a catamaran sailboat and "garaging" something like an F650 and making the bike largely water resistant along the same lines of the way that the US and Brit Marines use special trucks.

But that's a fantasy. I don't see realistically doing that unless I win the Lotto. I asked about licensing a motorcycle in the Bahamas once and most of those islands want 50% of the documented value of the vehicle in taxes before they will let you operate it.

Sailing and living in The Island though ... Nice fantasy! And the space in a cat sailboat is comparable to a tiny house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #918
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post

I have a good book on pole barn construction. Have probably had it for at least 20 years. Alas, it's in my storage in Florida at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm glad you don't live in my neighborhood

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #919
PirateJohn
Banned

Isn't my place Dude. Mutual feelings and all that.

But this thread is about simplifying. The photo illustrates a simple pole barn structure. Very common in this climate.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #920
PirateJohn
Banned

Pole barns (in this case a Butler steel building) don't have to be ugly. But then again this is getting away from simplifying and a tiny house.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #921
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Isn't my place Dude. Mutual feelings and all that.

But this thread is about simplifying. The photo illustrates a simple pole barn structure. Very common in this climate.

They are common here too (Alabama and all) but not in my neighborhood

I totally understand the small house concept but would NOT want to live out in the middle of nowhere in substandard housing.

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #922
PirateJohn
Banned

I have lived in Cincinnati, Lexington, KY, various places in North Carolina and Florida, and owned two places that were in the suburbs and within sight of salt water.

And I have traveled and lived as an RVer. Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Memphis, you name it.

You couldn't pay me to move to your part of Alabama. Too backwards for my tastes from what I have seen.

So with that said there is nothing "substandard" with what we are discussing.

I do agree that the particular location where I am staying is too rural for my tastes. Deer in the yard in the morning is neat. 45 mile trips to a WalMart gets old. Hence the reason why I am not looking for property here. I don't think your sense of geography is very good.

However, the Texas Hill Country is a primo place for riders. If you rode more you might understand.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #923
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Small houses are awesome. Two guys endlessly comparing whose dick is smaller isn't awesome. Be the bigger person and let it drop.

This place is way bigger than I'd want, but I really like the colors and textures. You could easily borrow from this to make a very liveable and striking smaller house. Thanks for posting the picture, neat stuff.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #924
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinfish View Post
Small houses are awesome. Two guys endlessly comparing whose dick is smaller isn't awesome. Be the bigger person and let it drop.

This place is way bigger than I'd want, but I really like the colors and textures. You could easily borrow from this to make a very liveable and striking smaller house. Thanks for posting the picture, neat stuff.
I hear ya Amigo.

The architect is Adam Kalkin. His site is at http://www.architectureandhygiene.com/main.html

He has several designs for container homes including some simpler stuff. I was pretty interested in container homes at one time but for various reasons have moved away from them. Still ...

Old 02-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #925
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
@PirateJohn: I was born and raised (18 years) in Lexington! Sometimes I miss that place.

Back on topic -- the petition link posted earlier linked to Cavco (link). Apparently they build semi-attractive pre-fabs. Not quite "tiny" (unless you go look at some of the cabin floor plans), but most of them seem pretty small. Might have to go check out their factory when I get back to Phoenix...
cab591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #926
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
@PirateJohn: I was born and raised (18 years) in Lexington! Sometimes I miss that place.

Back on topic -- the petition link posted earlier linked to Cavco (link). Apparently they build semi-attractive pre-fabs. Not quite "tiny" (unless you go look at some of the cabin floor plans), but most of them seem pretty small. Might have to go check out their factory when I get back to Phoenix...
I was born in Danville. My day's office in Frankfort was literally above the Guv'ner's office. I have fond memories of KY but it's not where I wanted to spend the rest of my life.

Cavco builds those evil park model trailers and pre-fab homes on basically the same assembly lines as far as I understand it. I don't generally like their designs and frankly didn't realize the petition went there (I saw it on the Tiny Home Blog site) but it makes sense.

Thanks!

PirateJohn screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 08:39 PM
Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #927
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591;20811144Back on topic -- the petition link posted earlier linked to [URL="http://cavco.com/default.asp"
Cavco (link)[/URL]. Apparently they build semi-attractive pre-fabs. Not quite "tiny" (unless you go look at some of the cabin floor plans), but most of them seem pretty small. Might have to go check out their factory when I get back to Phoenix...
Pre-fab certainly does not automatically mean junk.

When we discuss 'smaller' homes, I wonder if it would be useful to have a common lexicon about relative size?

Tiny: 300 SF and smaller. Often but not always, a trailer.

Micro: 300 to 600 SF

Small: 600 to 900 SF

Old School: 900 to 1,200 SF sort of the original suburbia sized single family home.

Now having had more than a year under the belt with our small house, I've learned a lot about how to manage. A shed is a must just for storage - since we don't have a garage.

Otherwise, I don't buy many things that take up bulk, at least not if I can possibly avoid it. If I buy clothes, I have to pitch something to make room for the new stuff.

Works well at controlling my buying and hoarding tendencies.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #928
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
I know it's not a tiny house, but it goes along with PirateJohn's land quest:

Tell me no!

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12...18608943_zpid/

3 acres of rural Colorado. It's got a small foundation dug half into the hillside, close to the road (with opening / views facing away from the road). I know pretty much EXACTLY what I'd do with that property. The land is going for just under $50k, and I'd build about $100k worth of small house and garage. Going back to an earlier post -- I'd like to see one of the cottage plans from Tumbleweed Houses on that land.

Only downside I see is the lack of ANYTHING within an hour's drive. Nice for some, but I still need some form of employment.

Oh well, I can always dream...
cab591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #929
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
I know it's not a tiny house, but it goes along with PirateJohn's land quest:

Tell me no!

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12...18608943_zpid/
"Make your move now, selling below cost for a quick sale!" and it's been on the ,market for 256 days. Ha!
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #930
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Pre-fab certainly does not automatically mean junk.

My dad invested in some pre- fab houses back in the 70's. if you hadn't seen them come into town on trailers you would never have know that they weren't stick built.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: