ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #13501
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
I changed mine before I left. For $200 on a 12 yr old motorcycle it seemed like a no brainer. Easy job too
Dang, I hate to be called stupid!

I carry a spare FD bearing and seal, a spare clutch and gas cables. But you never know what is going to fail. I have five motos and ride 40,000 to 50,000 miles per year, much of it in less than pristine conditions. If I replaced and improved every part that is recommended on the various forums, plus carried all of the spares, I would have to sell a couple of motos and go back to work! AND, I ain't doing that! hahahahahaha I guess I have the most importand tool, my Debit Card!

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 06:39 PM
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #13502
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,205

Beastly Adventurer



Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Clarksdale, MS
Oddometer: 10,572


I am going to order the parts from Guatemala BMW. It is about $115 higher than Beemer Boneyard and includes a new cup instead of a used one. Plus that difference does not take into account shipping cost.

Now I need to find out more about gluing that cup to the pulley!

BTW, a $10 part took out a $300 plus part!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #13503
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
I feel for you Donnie. This is one of those few times when I wish that I or someone else had hit the Lotto. Send the private plane to your location with parts, money, and likker.

Hang in there!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #13504
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I feel for you Donnie. This is one of those few times when I wish that I or someone else had hit the Lotto. Send the private plane to your location with parts, money, and likker.

Hang in there!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the concern, but I am doing just fine! I have a passenger on this trip, so the waiting is no problem at all. I hate that I may not get to Panama this trip, but the trip is not over yet, much less the year!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #13505
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 659
Mexican cops rape Italian in Playa del Carmen (QR)

I guess everyone has seen this by now. Didn't see it mentioned here.

Just bad acting Mexican cops?

Http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/02...-who-lives-in/

Two Mexican policemen charged with raping an Italian woman in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo.
__________________
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good.”

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #13506
acejones
Beastly Adventurer
 
acejones's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: MS. Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 4,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Beemer Boneyard will only ship USPS, they would not even tell me the cost. Told me to order on line and the shipping cost would be computed during the order process. Not a lot of assistance to a return customer that is broken down in a foreign country!
Gotta say I'm surprised at the lack of support from Beemerboneyard. Thats disappointing.
__________________
I got tired of being here, so now I'm there
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #13507
tedder
irregular
 
tedder's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles (ktown)
Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
Hmmm. That's the first time I've seen somebody RIDE out of Juanita's. We PUSH the bikes out to avoid filling her living room with exhaust fumes.
I posted my vid of me riding out of there. Kinda hard to push out alone with the steps.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #13508
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer
 
rockymountainoyster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Back in the San Juan Mountains
Oddometer: 981
Name Dropping

Hey Trice,

I used to practice yoga with Raquel Welch, Carol Lynley, Kareem, Quincy Jones and...and...and... have had dinner with Carrol O'Connor and lifted a few at his pub back in the day... had a date with Cheryl Jean Stoppelmoor... but she broke it when she got back together with her bf David Ladd... I also worked for Ellsworth Bunker, sort of, back in the day... I was "employed" by The US Army but worked under Ambassador Bunker's command. All in a day's work Colonel.

I am reveling in MikeMike's masterful photography. He really has a good eye. I am loathe to put some of my humble attempts up but will do so when I get them loaded up to SmugMug... it is all so tedious. Like riding 500 miles in Mexico in one day.
__________________
The Way South http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849812
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #13509
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Hey Trice,

I used to practice yoga with Raquel Welch, Carol Lynley, Kareem, Quincy Jones and...and...and... have had dinner with Carrol O'Connor and lifted a few at his pub back in the day... had a date with Cheryl Jean Stoppelmoor... but she broke it when she got back together with her bf David Ladd... I also worked for Ellsworth Bunker, sort of, back in the day... I was "employed" by The US Army but worked under Ambassador Bunker's command. All in a day's work Colonel.

I am reveling in MikeMike's masterful photography. He really has a good eye. I am loathe to put some of my humble attempts up but will do so when I get them loaded up to SmugMug... it is all so tedious. Like riding 500 miles in Mexico in one day.
Excellent!

Too bad that this app doesn't have a like button ;)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #13510
chilejack
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Albuquerque
Oddometer: 3
Banamichi Sonora

Just a big thanks to Turkeycreek for good hospitality and great ride suggestions. I highly recommend Hotel Los Arcos as, a kick-off point for your Sonora ride. Tom and Lynn are a treasure of info on the area. Visit the Hotel Los Arcos or Turkey Creek websites for more info. Oneyedjack and I had a great Mexico ride the past couple of weeks. Started at Naco then to Banamichi, Moctezuma, Sahuaripa, Alamos. Then to Topolobampo and across to La Paz. Swung down through Cabo and then the length of Baja. All great riding.. Lots of really nice local folks and fun desert mountain roads.
chilejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #13511
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer
 
rockymountainoyster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Back in the San Juan Mountains
Oddometer: 981
Karma in Veracruz

One of the worst of many bads that my generation perpetrated was a half baked understanding of karma. Karma is simply action, it is an expression of the law of cause and effect... Newtonian physics of the non-physical realm... translated simply to motorcycles if you stop your bike and don't put your foot down you will fall over... you can work to balance yourself for awhile but eventually you run out of balance karma and unless you employ foot on the ground karma (action) you fall over and then have to engage in getting off the ground karma... see how simple it is? Everything you do is karma, even not doing is karma.

So... back in January, when I was studying Spanish in San Miguel de Allende, my teacher was robbed by a couple of street punks. One of the posters here suggested that we all kick into a Doņa Sara fund. In very short order a number of you contributed money and we were able to restore Doņa Sara's funds. Collective karma. Then the heavy hand of the mod came lightly down and scolded me/us for doing such a thing. Karma.

On Saturday, while I was out riding with MikeMike, the camarista took it upon herself to go through my things. She was able to find the emergency funds in US dollars that I had so cleverly hidden and rather then just leaving them be helped herself to them. I reported this to the management and following an investigation the young lady was let go. Without getting into detail, In management's view she had clearly "done the crime". Karma.

Normally I would take more careful measures to protect my property but this is not a New York City Hotel and I felt that my belongings and cash were very safe just as I had left them. The cash was very well hidden. The thief just had the time and the opportunity to defeat my best measures. Shit happens.

This afternoon the manager handed me a small brown envelope that contained full restitution of my lost funds. Karma. Thank you Doņa Sara and the Virgen de Guadalupe.
__________________
The Way South http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849812
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #13512
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
One of the worst of many bads that my generation perpetrated was a half baked understanding of karma. Karma is simply action, it is an expression of the law of cause and effect... Newtonian physics of the non-physical realm... translated simply to motorcycles if you stop your bike and don't put your foot down you will fall over... you can work to balance yourself for awhile but eventually you run out of balance karma and unless you employ foot on the ground karma (action) you fall over and then have to engage in getting off the ground karma... see how simple it is? Everything you do is karma, even not doing is karma.

So... back in January, when I was studying Spanish in San Miguel de Allende, my teacher was robbed by a couple of street punks. One of the posters here suggested that we all kick into a Doņa Sara fund. In very short order a number of you contributed money and we were able to restore Doņa Sara's funds. Collective karma. Then the heavy hand of the mod came lightly down and scolded me/us for doing such a thing. Karma.

On Saturday, while I was out riding with MikeMike, the camarista took it upon herself to go through my things. She was able to find the emergency funds in US dollars that I had so cleverly hidden and rather then just leaving them be helped herself to them. I reported this to the management and following an investigation the young lady was let go. Without getting into detail, In management's view she had clearly "done the crime". Karma.

Normally I would take more careful measures to protect my property but this is not a New York City Hotel and I felt that my belongings and cash were very safe just as I had left them. The cash was very well hidden. The thief just had the time and the opportunity to defeat my best measures. Shit happens.

This afternoon the manager handed me a small brown envelope that contained full restitution of my lost funds. Karma. Thank you Doņa Sara and the Virgen de Guadalupe.
Excellent!




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #13513
Craneguy
British Hooligan
 
Craneguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Riyadh, KSA, Cuernavaca, Mx, Houston, Tx
Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Craneguy, glad you got the compass back! Wonder what Hawking would say about a compass that returns from a black hole?
What the black hole giveth the trail taketh away. The damn thing shook itself apart and fell off within 2 km!

I left it where it fell as an offering to the dirt gods. It must have worked. I haven't fallen off since!
__________________
Young enough to think I can. Old enough to know I shouldn't. Stupid enough to do it anyway
'13 Duc Multi GT, '10 Vstrom 1k, '10 705cc KLR
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #13514
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
I haven't fallen off since!
Wagon or bike?
Either way, we can fix that! LOL!

I read that Belgian was in the crane business, was in the papers today.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #13515
acejones
Beastly Adventurer
 
acejones's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: MS. Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 4,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Wagon or bike?
Either way, we can fix that! LOL!

I read that Belgian was in the crane business, was in the papers today.
I suspect that the Belgian was in another kind of business also.
__________________
I got tired of being here, so now I'm there
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014