Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #76
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,704
"Traffic conditions vary widely from one place to another. Most of us suffer life in the city, most all of which are choked with cars. In Alberta, where Darren and I live, it is a very hostile environment. People drive too fast, they tailgate, and they are very aggressive in how they drive. They don't pay attention. They don't look for motorcycles so they don't see them. Too many of them are just plain incompetent, untrained, unaware of even the basics of how to drive. The licensing requirements for an ordinary car license are so slack they are ludicrous. It's a war zone out there and it is up to ME to keep myself alive. That's the bottom line"

That is EXACTLY how it is in Phoenix, AZ. Most definitely a war zone. Not a good place to learn to ride. Even a lot of veteran riders get run over here. A beginner doesn't have much of a chance under those conditions. I was lucky, and was able to get used to it a little bit at a time, as it happened. I started out when there wasn't much traffic, and no cell phones, and watched it get worse and worse over the years.

As for what you will be missing, the sport of riding is so varied you will always be missing something. I agree that a scooter is a type of motorcycle. But there are many types of motorcycles, cruisers, sport bikes, adventure bikes, dual sport bikes, full on touring bikes, there are even a couple of standards left. And in all those categories, there are a lot of different bikes. Big ones, small ones, fast ones, not so fast ones, red ones, blue ones. I've had 46 so far, and have still missed a lot. There is a lot more to it than just scooters and motorcycles. There is an almost infinite number of different motorcycles. You will never get to try them all. Get what appeals to you the most, and enjoy it. If later on you find something else that appeals to you, and can afford it, try that. Riding is addictive, and very few riders manage to make it through life with only one type of bike.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #77
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
"Traffic conditions vary widely from one place to another. Most of us suffer life in the city, most all of which are choked with cars. In Alberta, where Darren and I live, it is a very hostile environment. People drive too fast, they tailgate, and they are very aggressive in how they drive. They don't pay attention. They don't look for motorcycles so they don't see them. Too many of them are just plain incompetent, untrained, unaware of even the basics of how to drive. The licensing requirements for an ordinary car license are so slack they are ludicrous. It's a war zone out there and it is up to ME to keep myself alive. That's the bottom line"

That is EXACTLY how it is in Phoenix, AZ. Most definitely a war zone. Not a good place to learn to ride. Even a lot of veteran riders get run over here. A beginner doesn't have much of a chance under those conditions. I was lucky, and was able to get used to it a little bit at a time, as it happened. I started out when there wasn't much traffic, and no cell phones, and watched it get worse and worse over the years.

As for what you will be missing, the sport of riding is so varied you will always be missing something. I agree that a scooter is a type of motorcycle. But there are many types of motorcycles, cruisers, sport bikes, adventure bikes, dual sport bikes, full on touring bikes, there are even a couple of standards left. And in all those categories, there are a lot of different bikes. Big ones, small ones, fast ones, not so fast ones, red ones, blue ones. I've had 46 so far, and have still missed a lot. There is a lot more to it than just scooters and motorcycles. There is an almost infinite number of different motorcycles. You will never get to try them all. Get what appeals to you the most, and enjoy it. If later on you find something else that appeals to you, and can afford it, try that. Riding is addictive, and very few riders manage to make it through life with only one type of bike.
Idiots gravitate to larger groups. Avoid the congested, clogged arteries, and find the gold mine of side streets.

Scooter, cruiser, thumper, whatever. There is excellent riding in every town I've been to, if only you leave the masses of asses, behind.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:47 AM   #78
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,635

Unless one's a dentist! Riders in this profession cannot inflict these levels of pain, and still ride a scooter.

Quote:
[ORIN]
I am your dentist

[PATIENT]
Fitting braces

[ORIN]
And I get off on the pain I inflict
Old 02-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #79
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
I took the MSF basic course in October. Very little of it dealt with traffic; a little during the one night class, less during the riding portion. It mostly focussed on balance, turns and stops.
Reading the book Proficient Motorcycling is e very very good idea for anyone new to riding or new to commuting.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #80
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Thx for the advice. I actually did pick that book up before the MSF class; still reread parts of it now and again.
GREY.HOUND is online now   Reply With Quote