User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,243
Will We See a GTS350?

Will Vespa produce a GTS350 based on the new 350cc engine? If so, will it boast 13" or 14" wheels?
Comments?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
I hoped so...

and presented the same question on Modern Vespa. This was right around EICMA time when new and future models are being introduced. No news regarding a 350cc Vespa.

The 350cc powerplant is too sweet to use just in one model of scooter and Piaggio typically uses the same power plant in as many models as possible to maximize development costs. To-date the BV-350 is the only Piaggio using this engines series. I gotta think thats temporary.

I think ultimately we will see one, it will have to be physically larger than the present GTS series, and of course more costly. It would definitely need larger wheels which many say would make it un-Vespa like. I disagree. So, my guess is that there will be one, but 2-3 years out...and at what cost? Pushing $7K would be my guess.

Right now the BV-350 lists for 5699.-- here in the US, less freight and fees. A Vespa GTS300 has an MSRP of 6199.-- less freight.

I consider the BV-350 is one of the best values out there and likely Piaggio's best scooter. We just bought 2, and are loving the smoother, large wheeled ride, silky smooth power delivery (thanks to the wet-clutch) and italian panache. Our 2 Vespas are languishing in the garage wondering if they'll ever get ridden again, and so am I.

If they produced a 350cc Vespa tomorrow Im certain it would sell, but the price would be a stumbling block for many...for me I think I'm a convert to the larger wheeled scooter. I've been riding scooters for years and this is my first large wheeler and my back appreciates it immensely.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
To-date the BV-350 is the only Piaggio using this engines series.
Not really.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
The X10 doesn't appear to be available in the US though I've heard a few good things about them from some Brits on the Modern Vespa forum.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Speaking from a NA market point of view. The X10 has nothing to do with anything for those of us living in this market.

So yeah, but no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Not really.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:56 AM   #6
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,744
I was replying to "To-date the BV-350 is the only Piaggio using this engines series." not discussing market availability.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I was replying to "To-date the BV-350 is the only Piaggio using this engines series." not discussing market availability.

Yup, and I was replying to another customer in the NA market where we see no other scooters with this powerplant. Sorry if I wasnt specific enough but the OP is in TX.

I guess I didnt choose my wording carefully enough to suit...everyone.

SOMEONE got my point since you're the only one who "corrected" me and showed me how little I really know.

Thank you for that, I am humbled.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,337
Sometimes we forget just how small the US scooter market really is. And that this is an international forum.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
If they produced a 350cc Vespa tomorrow Im certain it would sell, but the price would be a stumbling block for many...for me I think I'm a convert to the larger wheeled scooter. I've been riding scooters for years and this is my first large wheeler and my back appreciates it immensely.
I would like to think that Vespa would produce a 350cc with larger wheels than the 12" wheels currently found on the GTS. Some touring scooters like the Majesty sport a 13" on the back. I think Vespa could make it work with 13" wheels. There are some really good tires available in that size. 12" and under is just too small now.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
Sometimes we forget just how small the US scooter market really is. And that this is an international forum.

Thats true Hexnut.

Thats why its helpful to keep the context of the conversation, and the points of reference of the responders in mind when replying. Kind of like the UN
Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
I would like to think that Vespa would produce a 350cc with larger wheels than the 12" wheels currently found on the GTS. Some touring scooters like the Majesty sport a 13" on the back. I think Vespa could make it work with 13" wheels. There are some really good tires available in that size. 12" and under is just too small now.
I agree 100%. And can only reiterate that this guys 53 y/o spine is enjoying the larger wheels and (somewhat) more compliant suspension of the BV-350.

(I wonder if the traditional single-sided Vespa steering could be made to work with larger, heavier rolling stock. That suspension is an iconic part of Vespa scooters......)