Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #46
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson357 View Post
I 2nd, 3rd, and 4th this motion. This is how we did Baja the first couple times we did it......it truley is priceless, it is as close as mere mortals are going to get to feeling like a factory racer. Plus it gives you more time to take everything in and actually enjoy yourself knowing all your logistics are taken care of, right down to the best fish taco stand Actually going back to baja for the MEX1K and still using Bajabound, they are great!
that pricing is 5 years old.

This is off the top of my head

Drive out from TN, Bring Your bike and spares in the back of your chase truck.* 2 People *
10 days in Baja ( Pre-run then Race )
if you camp 80% of the time
Hotel rooms ( 2 Nights, 1-day before the race & Race day/Night )
Ride Sportsman with Baja Pits Rough Budget $ 5000
and that could go up depending on your Bike Prep and spares.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #47
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
that pricing is 5 years old.

This is off the top of my head

Drive out from TN, Bring Your bike and spares in the back of your chase truck.* 2 People *
10 days in Baja ( Pre-run then Race )
if you camp 80% of the time
Hotel rooms ( 2 Nights, 1-day before the race & Race day/Night )
Ride Sportsman with Baja Pits Rough Budget $ 5000
and that could go up depending on your Bike Prep and spares.
I assume that is $5k for two people or $5k each?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #48
AngryShawn
Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer: 393
I would not advise running a race like this with only two people, get at least one, non riding person to come along.
Imagine getting off the bike after a section then having to drive chase to the next one....
Mexican highways can be sketchy enough at times, why tempt fate?
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #49
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryShawn View Post
I would not advise running a race like this with only two people, get at least one, non riding person to come along.
Imagine getting off the bike after a section then having to drive chase to the next one....
I think he is planing on riding SOLO.
if not : Then YES you will need a Chase truck driver.
( try to get someone from out here who knows Baja )
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #50
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
Is one chase vehicle enough? Bike is prepped...
For what it's worth...I've done the 500 with 1 chase vehicle before, it was fairly easy with the exception of making prerunning more challenging. It was me and one teamate, his buddy came along to drive. We had a decent amount of luck and both of us had a good amount of experience racing in Baja. We won our class (easy class to win) and did it on a bone stock bike that was pulled out of the crate a week before we left. At the time there wasn't an aftermarket tank available for the model so we raced with the stock sx-f tank (1.9 gallon).

It wouldn't be my choice now, but it is possible, and it was fairly cheap.

We got the race bike for free, and gave it back to the dealership after the race.
Entry was around $1000
Pit lease was around $500
Hotels were around $500
Gas ~ $500
Tires/bibs $300

One thing we didn't skimp on was tires, wheels, and bibs (or in this case we used tireballs installed in the hotel parking lot, iirc)
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #51
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryShawn View Post

I may Solo it or have another teammate...

As for a driver... I would DEFINITELY have a dedicated chase driver... more than likely it would be another mother-son team like our RTW trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
I think he is planing on riding SOLO.
if not : Then YES you will need a Chase truck driver.
( try to get someone from out here who knows Baja )
Again... working on that part... HOPING LostRider joins me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
For what it's worth...I've done the 500 with 1 chase vehicle before, it was fairly easy with the exception of making prerunning more challenging. It was me and one teamate, his buddy came along to drive. We had a decent amount of luck and both of us had a good amount of experience racing in Baja. We won our class (easy class to win) and did it on a bone stock bike that was pulled out of the crate a week before we left. At the time there wasn't an aftermarket tank available for the model so we raced with the stock sx-f tank (1.9 gallon).

It wouldn't be my choice now, but it is possible, and it was fairly cheap.

GOOD TO HEAR!!!

We got the race bike for free, and gave it back to the dealership after the race.
Entry was around $1000
Pit lease was around $500
Hotels were around $500
Gas ~ $500
Tires/bibs $300

One thing we didn't skimp on was tires, wheels, and bibs (or in this case we used tireballs installed in the hotel parking lot, iirc)
I will be using bib mousse and plan to have an extra wheel set to swap midway through the race along with have plenty of tires for pre running.

Working at a dealership tires is going to be my easiest thing to justify spending money on - I plan to use PLENTY of rubbers!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #52
cross-country

Quote:

I will be using bib mousse and plan to have an extra wheel set to swap midway through the race along with have plenty of tires for pre running.

Working at a dealership tires is going to be my easiest thing to justify spending money on - I plan to use PLENTY of rubbers!

I think that if you Solo you would be ok starting and finishing on the same set of tires (if we are just talking wear), assuming you are soloing. My experience has been that our rear tire is completely toast for the last 50 or so miles. That is on a team with a fresh riders pushing fairly hard all day long.

You would be amiss to go down with out spare wheelsets setup and ready to go. What bike are you riding?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #53
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
I think that if you Solo you would be ok starting and finishing on the same set of tires (if we are just talking wear), assuming you are soloing. My experience has been that our rear tire is completely toast for the last 50 or so miles. That is on a team with a fresh riders pushing fairly hard all day long.

You would be amiss to go down with out spare wheelsets setup and ready to go. What bike are you riding?

I will be riding a KTM 525
Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #54
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,953
How do you chase both sides (Pacific and Gulf) with one chase truck? Using last year's course as an example, half way was around San Matais. There is no way you could do a rider change at San Matias/Mike's Sky Rancho Road and see the rider again before the final hwy 3 road crossing the other side of Ojos.

Here is how you do it: Send Chase 1 to where they cross the hwy at Ojos. Chase 2 goes to where they come out to the road @ Cerro Colorado. Chase 1 goes from Ojos on down to the base of the summit at Santa Catarina. Chase 2 turns around at Cerro Colorado and goes all the way around to Llano Colorado on the Pacific side. After Llano Colorado, Chase 2 catches the rider again at Santo Thos. The Chase 1 goes on to Borrego and follows back towards Trinidad doing the rider change somewhere between the two. After the rider change, Chase 1 goes to the Hwy 3 road crossing the other side of Ojos.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #55
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
How do you chase both sides (Pacific and Gulf) with one chase truck? Using last year's course as an example, half way was around San Matais. There is no way you could do a rider change at San Matias/Mike's Sky Rancho Road and see the rider again before the final hwy 3 road crossing the other side of Ojos.

Here is how you do it: Send Chase 1 to where they cross the hwy at Ojos. Chase 2 goes to where they come out to the road @ Cerro Colorado. Chase 1 goes from Ojos on down to the base of the summit at Santa Catarina. Chase 2 turns around at Cerro Colorado and goes all the way around to Llano Colorado on the Pacific side. After Llano Colorado, Chase 2 catches the rider again at Santo Thos. The Chase 1 goes on to Borrego and follows back towards Trinidad doing the rider change somewhere between the two. After the rider change, Chase 1 goes to the Hwy 3 road crossing the other side of Ojos.

Adding another chase adds so much more money to the equation... in that case I'll just do it solo...
Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #56
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Adding another chase adds so much more money to the equation... in that case I'll just do it solo...

You only need 1 chase truck !!!!!!
I have done it many times.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #57
cross-country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post

This ^^^ is what I normally do with some small exceptions. We usually have more than 2 chase vehicles and are able to move around less, keeping the crew a bit safer.

How I did it with a single chase vehicle;
I started and road to Cerro Colorado.
Rider2 took the bike to VdT.
I got back on the bike and took it to the finish, I did not see the chase until the Ojos crossing.

Edit; one thing we did to mitigate risk was drop off spare wheelsets at several of the remote pits.