Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #526
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
And to keep this on a Honda vibe, I read a couple of years ago that they were making a clear distinction between utility transport and 'fun' bikes.

Fun bikes, like the Fireblade, or the CBR1000R, or the VFR1200F.

At the time, I was a bit annoyed, like Honda didn't think I could ride. Or, like BMW, they wanted the 'premium' customer.

But fook me, they've kept their word. The bigger Honda bikes, here, require a hefty deposit. The smaller ones, you can practically walk away with by sharing a cigar with the dealership.

Meanwhile, BMW, or MV, or Ducati, or Triumph (much as I love all of them) seem to ask premium customer money with only the slightest hint of premium service. BMW, in particular, have taken advantage of goodwill imho.

Generally it seems like two choices have been made; attract new riders with low deposit/APR, or hook riders who eye 'cost to change' with deals on extras or those deals where they guarantee trade-in value (as long as you don't ride much, and have the bike serviced at the dealership).

I have no value judgement on this, really, I just like bikes..
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond

RaY YreKa screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 08:04 PM
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #527
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
That's gonna get ya in the Basement ya know .
I hope not. I love this place. tp
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #528
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
I hope not. I love this place. tp
Worry not. It's darker, but one can climb back.
IBA #40578

Old 02-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #529
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Worry not. It's darker, but one can climb back.
Bless you, and I agree with you on the comments about the BMW Premium service/price situation.
While my R1200RT is great, the maintenance costs and failure rates for this model alone is rather high and poor, both. A water cooled CX1200 V twin with full plastics would be a great sub for the RT, A Moto Guzzi without its quirks and Honda fit, finish, and reliability would tickle me a bunch...
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #530
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
I didn't mean to be political with that post.

Over here insurance is up 40% in 4 years, similar for gas/electricity in homes.

We're told this will only get worse.

Wages are flat or worse, since 2008.

For many years I defined myself by motorcycle ownership; because I love riding them so much, because I didn't want to become Homer Simpson.

Well, y'know, doh
I was in Hunts (Honda) today checking on the status of my new toy and John (the owner) was telling me he's ordered 22 (the maximum allocation) of the new 500's as he expecting them to be a massive hit. He also said he's selling 5 NC700's a week! The middleweight bikes are definitely making a comeback...
Big scooters are also doing well, he's got deposits on most of the Honda Forza scooters (I think he said 10) that he's getting in early May.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #531
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntec4 View Post
I was in Hunts (Honda) today checking on the status of my new toy and John (the owner) was telling me he's ordered 22 (the maximum allocation) of the new 500's as he expecting them to be a massive hit. He also said he's selling 5 NC700's a week! The middleweight bikes are definitely making a comeback...
Big scooters are also doing well, he's got deposits on most of the Honda Forza scooters (I think he said 10) that he's getting in early May.
Interesting. Did he say if he expected them to go to A2 new licence holders, or existing riders?
IBA #40578

Old 02-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #532
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
He didn't say and I didn't think to ask. I didn't know there was a new system again until you mentioned it. :-)
Old 02-25-2013, 05:30 AM   #533
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntec4 View Post
When I read this, I had to check your location. That's impressive. I had to look up the Forza too. Our Honda scooter offerings Jump from the PCX 150 up to the Silverwing.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #534
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
That's gonna get ya in the Basement ya know .

It's all conjecture.

But if you folks get fuel rises like we have, those 20mpg cars and 30mpg bikes will get old very very fast.

Even bikes made 10 years ago are predicated on a different era.
Fuel price differences between the US and the UK are almost completely due to fuel tax differences. Crude oil and refined petroleum products are global markets for fungible commodities.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #535
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
I cannot comment on BMW, but speaking of service and etc. costs here, in Belgium - I had Hondas, Suzuki, worked for friends on Yamahas and Kwaks and there is absolutely zero service price difference between Triumph I have now and good deal I had on Honda. I really do not know where this opinion comes from, perhaps from way local business takes advantage of "cool" factor behind European makes.
More to it. KTM - not any more expensive to service etc.
Yamaha probably is the most expensive and Kwak is worst on parts supply.
Honda are expensive to service unless you have really good dealer.
Parts not cheap either.
So, I think that making assumptions based on each personal experience into common rule won't work here.

Example? Easy. 130 Euro asked for carbs sync on Honda from my friend and 50 Euros asked from me (because I know exactly what and how they will do it and know dealer guys well) for exactly same job on exactly same bike of exactly same year. This is reality. But in my place.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #536
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
I cannot comment on BMW, but speaking of service and etc. costs here, in Belgium - I had Hondas, Suzuki, worked for friends on Yamahas and Kwaks and there is absolutely zero service price difference between Triumph I have now and good deal I had on Honda. I really do not know where this opinion comes from, perhaps from way local business takes advantage of "cool" factor behind European makes.
More to it. KTM - not any more expensive to service etc.
Yamaha probably is the most expensive and Kwak is worst on parts supply.
Honda are expensive to service unless you have really good dealer.
Parts not cheap either.
So, I think that making assumptions based on each personal experience into common rule won't work here.

Example? Easy. 130 Euro asked for carbs sync on Honda from my friend and 50 Euros asked from me (because I know exactly what and how they will do it and know dealer guys well) for exactly same job on exactly same bike of exactly same year. This is reality. But in my place.
I think Honda, with these CTX and new CBs, are promising low-cost servicing and long intervals (8000-miles?). Of course we'll see how that translates in the real world in a year or two.

Some folks here (UK) will make a buying decision on the bike vs car, or bike vs train, as a ride-to-work option. And that means calculations over an extended period.

BMW, to be fair, have a low priced schedule and good mpg from the f800 series.
IBA #40578

Old 02-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #537
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
On other side low revving motor helps to save oil. Possible.could be. My tiger 800 have 10 000 km oil change intervals and 20 000 km valve adjustment. So, if Honda runs hydraulic lifters and shaft drive it obviously have advantage on chain driven shim over bucket bikes
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #538
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Nobody makes decent dirt bikes now, having switched from 2 stroke to 4 stroke, but you can blame the EPA for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YB_un5Ikj8
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #539
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
Nice. I wonder how they got that passed the epa's sniffers? And if KTM can do it, why can't the Japanese?
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:33 AM   #540
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Nice. I wonder how they got that passed the epa's sniffers? And if KTM can do it, why can't the Japanese?
Past
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote