Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #16
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
Battery-less 12V is the only way to go IMHO if you go the Lifan route. I've put Lifan 110s in 2 CT90s and a C100, and a Lifan 140 in a CT90, all battery-less. It's simple, works great, and no battery to hassle with ever! I run a 35/35 watt sealed beam headlight on the regulated 12V AC side of the system and the tail/stop/horn/GPS off the DC side. The lights are bright but do dim slightly at idle. The 140 engine puts out about 100 watts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoRandy123 View Post
I agree the original 6Vsystem suffers from having no regulator in it. The battery does the regulation. If your battery
goes you start popping lights. It's a very carefully balanced system too so if you change wattage's on lights or fix a
faulty selenium rectifier with a newer silicon one the battery takes more punishment.

You might be able to rectify and regulate the stock stator output to 12V and have the same current but the easiest
way to go is to swap the motor for a Lifan 125 (or similar). That would also allow you to go batteryless. The only
problem might be limited current for lights. Unknown how much is available...
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #17
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
That was my first motorcycle too! In 1968 I bought it for $175. I was 14 years old. A fine machine.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #18
Bladeforger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
A decent pinstriper / sign letterer can duplicate that logo for you. There ought to be some in your neck of the woods.
Keith
"Obsolete doesn't mean a thing isn't any good--it just means they don't make it anymore" Von Dutch, May 1970
Bladeforger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #19
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeforger View Post
A decent pinstriper / sign letterer can duplicate that logo for you. There ought to be some in your neck of the woods.
Keith
If you can scan a logo you can buy laser or inkjet paper to print off you own stickers / logos . If you got a picture of it you can do the same thing. You ll have to google that for sources for it. buck 1.25 per page. Think there even Youtube video how to do it and apply it.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #20
moparren OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Thanks for the ideas on the logo, I'll have to look into that.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #21
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,665
I've got two of those things; a 77 and a 78. They've been sitting up since last summer. Last weekend I charged both batteries, put some gas in them and the 77 started on the first kick; the 78 required six kicks. I had to adjust the points on them and they were good to go. Now I just need to find someone who wants them more than I do. I just don't have the time or inclination to keep them up. They really are tough bikes.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #22
moparren OP
Gnarly Adventurer

quick update

The scoot restoration has been on the back burner for a while, long enough that it is starting to get covered by other stuff, but a new motivation is forming - The wife, who is the amazon of her family at just over 5 feet tall, has started making noises about wanting to learn to ride. I even caught her looking at my latest issue of Motorcyclest the other day.

Perhaps an excuse to dip into the house account for motorcycle parts...

Old 07-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #23
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,012
That's gonna be a sweet ride.Are you keeping everything as close to original as far as suspension and color?I see you are consider 12v update.Do it.You'll never look back.Also,isn't there an upgrade for the ignition that eliminates the points and condenser.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #24
moparren OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep, want to keep it mostly original. I haven't been able to find anything to eliminate the points, but I do have a bad XR500 motor with the ignition parts that I have been eyeing...

And yes, I know a Lifan motor would do all that but sometimes it's all about the messing with stuff to see if you can make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
That's gonna be a sweet ride.Are you keeping everything as close to original as far as suspension and color?I see you are consider 12v update.Do it.You'll never look back.Also,isn't there an upgrade for the ignition that eliminates the points and condenser.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #25
moparren OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Been too long since I've had a chance to work on this... Did some kitchen work, then ripped out carpet and put down new floors and then the oven blew up.

Did manage to get the swing arm off. So far I'm not finding anything worse than surface rust, I was starting to worry about holes when I saw the caked on mud of youth.

Minor surprise - I didn't know this bike did not have swing arm berrings, it has rubber bushings a-la moden car A-arm. Good ol' Honda, way ahead of the times!

2 tars an' a swingarm!

Started soaking some of the more stubborn screws.

That mud is about 20 years old and almost half an inch think in some places.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #26
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,406
Lifan makes decent motors, but my understanding is that you have to modify the frame to make them fit. Then you would not only no longer have the original vintage frame, but could never go back to the original engine. Even if I were going to ride it rather than make a showpiece out of it, leaving it original would be important to me. There is something special about an original vehicle that old, that has not been modified. It just seems wrong to put a Chinese motor in a 1966 Honda.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #27
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
It would be easy to go back to the original engine after the Lifan. There is very minimal modification to the frame (especially on the CT200) which would be almost undetectable. With a modern Lifan engine the bike becomes much more reliable and much more useful to most people because of the added power.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #28
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,012
There's a mount kit for the lifian into the CT bikes.Ask on the Clone group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/h...sations/topics
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #29
wheelbender6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I bought this 1966 S90 to restore a few years back. I had to sell it when we moved to a smaller place. I was able to get a bonded title for it but completed little else before selling.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #30
M-Cat
2 wheeled slacker

Oddometer: 334
It would be cool if you could save the original paint. A good cleaning and some wax does wonders and saves the patina that took years to get.
IMO