User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
lalispeed OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Question ktm 950 ignition weird problem

I bought this bike a month ago with 14 .000 miles.Last sunday On a 250 miles trip after a few stops we made a long one, and when I want to start the bike ,the stator(starter) made a loose noise , like it is not attached to the flywheel if this bike have a flywheel??( sorry about my ignorance .This bike is is totally different to my that the other bikes I owned or own before. WE push the bike on 4TH gear and she start. And I drove for one our nonstop.After that no more problems.
Some friend said could be the battery but I don't think so >So i read a couple of threads about starter issues on this bike, but my question is could the battery do that?
Any idea?
Attached Images

lalispeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
sounds like the starter clutch is free-wheeling. Can be caused by a weak battery not firmly grabbing the rotor clutch surface...

look at HOW http://www.ktm950.info/how/ktm_950_issues.html about starter torque limiter for a start.
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
lalispeed OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post
sounds like the starter clutch is free-wheeling. Can be caused by a weak battery not firmly grabbing the rotor clutch surface...

look at HOW http://www.ktm950.info/how/ktm_950_issues.html about starter torque limiter for a start.
thanks i don't know if work on that or not , because i start the bike severall time an it looks fine now . I'm afraid to that happ again.I don't want to do labor or expend money on that .So could be just a weak batt?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,720
I had my starter spining properly

But the engine was not turning, giving a hisssing noise. If that is your problem then could be the "sprag" is toast. There is a mechanism that grabs the flyweel, using a "ring" with some specially formed wedges, held together with a circular spring. These wedges wear and stop operating properly. The remedy is to replace the wedges from a new sprag from a 640 since it costs around $89.54 while the proper replacement for the Adventure includes the flyweel (not needed really) that costs $575.32 have a look in here http://www.munnracing.com/

Cheers
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post

If you have an early bike, you don't have a torque limiter, but you could have the problem of the freewheel bolts backing out into the stator. Go to the above link, and scroll down to "Freewheel Bolts."

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
lalispeed OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
If you have an early bike, you don't have a torque limiter, but you could have the problem of the freewheel bolts backing out into the stator. Go to the above link, and scroll down to "Freewheel Bolts."
after few trips and more than 3 k miles no problems at a all, the new batt solve the problem so far..thanks for all the tips.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
blackness
more riding

Oddometer: 94
Hi all

Yesterday I had a similar issue with my 2005 KTM adventure S in which it did not start and made a weird noise from the dash.

The bike had been ridden for about 15 minutes. I had shut it off to open the garage door. I turned the key to the on position, a faint electronic hum came from the dash and nothing happened when I pressed the start button. The bike did not start it was like having the kill switch turned on.

I turned the key to the off position and then turned it back to the on position. I was then able to start the bike.

can anybody help me diagnose the problem?

Thanks
blackness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Blackbert
Factory Rambler

Oddometer: 1,055
I would start by checking the wires from the ignition/key. It's happened before, one of those coming loose or breaking, giving random starting problems.

want to save on Smugmug? use this code (VoUO8M1ukmnMY)

Blackbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackness View Post
... a faint electronic hum came from the dash and nothing happened when I pressed the start button.
The starting system has two relays, the big one down near the battery, and a smaller one inside the dash. Maybe the small one is going bad. The manual has instructions on how to test it.

Two relays just alike are mounted in this position in the dash. I don't know which one is for the starter, so just test them both.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
blackness
more riding

Thanks Guys

Will go have a hunt in these two areas.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
blackness
more riding

Cleaning The Ignition Switch seems to have fixed it

Cleaning the ignition switch seems to have fixed my erratic starting. It got worse over last weekend after riding a reasonable depth of muddy water on a forestry trail.

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Electrica...h_cleanup.html