Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #751
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I suggest you collect those dimes. You're sure to need them eventually.
Yes ... apparently about 9000 of them
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #752
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
excellent...
does anybody know why the "pocket" in the cover between #1 and #6 in the diagram is there?
I looked and could not find any dimes!

It might just be a blind mill hole to access some other function further in the crank case.

I put my "electrosport" in today. The connectors plugged right in and the grommet fit fine...0ver 40F in the garage.

Success the bike started right up and my cheapie dash mounted 3 color LED voltage monitor turned from red to green. good enough for me

If is warm tomorrow I'll dress up and cable tied the harness back in place... and be ready to hit the road when the salt and sand are off the roads....maybe in march!
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #753
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
Success the bike started right up and my cheapie dash mounted 3 color LED voltage monitor turned from red to green. good enough for me

If is warm tomorrow I'll dress up and cable tied the harness back in place... and be ready to hit the road when the salt and sand are off the roads....maybe in march!
I managed to finish the job on Stephanie's bike today and it started right up, and everything looks good on it too.

We're expecting 10-15 cm of snow tomorrow so it's doubtful we'll be riding anytime soon, but we're now ready when the weather is.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #754
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
I looked and could not find any dimes!

It might just be a blind mill hole to access some other function further in the crank case...
Thanks ... just seems odd that they would cast a matching feature in the side cover (well ... odd to ME)
Maybe it serves some purpose for the engine in some other application.....
Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #755
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,255
It has served it's purpose, it has you intrigued, those engineers are so smart and intuitive
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #756
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
It has served it's purpose, it has you intrigued, those engineers are so smart and intuitive
a few other attributes commonly apply to engineers that ride motorcycles ... but listing them might get me banned ..........
Old 02-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #757
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
a few other attributes commonly apply to engineers that ride motorcycles ... but listing them might get me banned ..........
soooo true!!
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #758
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Wicked air / oil cooling of stator

I kinda spaced out (Yeah big shock ) on one thing I meant to follow...

Back on page 31 of this thread...

1) is some talk of a Buell flywheel modification that allows oil-spray cooling of the stator. Presumably there is some supply passage in the crankshaft that makes this possible ... for those of you that have pulled your flywheel on the twins ... have you noticed if perhaps any such feature exists on the BMW crankshaft?

2) the guy drilled 6 small holes around the perimeter of his flywheel to aid air circulation ... has anyone heard follow up on this?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #759
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,717
Quote:
I kinda spaced out (Yeah big shock ) on one thing I meant to follow...

Back on page 31 of this thread...

1) is some talk of a Buell flywheel modification that allows oil-spray cooling of the stator. Presumably there is some supply passage in the crankshaft that makes this possible ... for those of you that have pulled your flywheel on the twins ... have you noticed if perhaps any such feature exists on the BMW crankshaft?

2) the guy drilled 6 small holes around the perimeter of his flywheel to aid air circulation ... has anyone heard follow up on this?

I'm just a simple country doctor Jim.

Not tryin' to discount your logic so no need to get in my grille.

I don't think many have had up close and personal time with their cranks. Not to that extent anyway. Drill the crank? Too scary for me. Not without the engineering docs that say go for it. It's like when you hot rod a car engine. The tranny blows, you beef up the tranny and the driveshaft blows, then you........ you get it.

Drilling air holes sounds good if you have the time and shop to do it in. Balancing would be an issue since it spins at crank speed. I'd consider that if it could be balanced cheap enough. And the odd prayer that it doesn't grenade.

If I had more money and less time, I'd do the $900 swapout. Since I have more time and less money, I'll buy the $100 stators as necessary. Even if you get 10K kms out of a stator, you're 90K kms into it before you break even. Adjusted for inflation of course. Add a voltmeter to keep an eye out for impending doom.

I dunno. I'd rather ride.

In a missile free area! (loved that idea!)

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #760
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Me no drill crankshaft, not even for many bottles firewater ...

The way it apparently works on the Buell is that there is a "concealed" oil port on the tapered part of the end of the crankshaft and all that is required is to drill an angled hole in the flywheel (at precise alignment & diameter, etc) so that it meters a small amount of oil into the interior cavity of the flywheel cooling the stator ... you send the guy your flywheel he mods it and sends it back and you are supposed to be good to go ... no dinking with the crank. Since the metal being removed is so close to centerline of flywheel and not much material maybe balance is not affected, or maybe the Buell guy re-balances ...

So question I that I was trying to ask but didn't phrase real well was:

Q: For any twin owners that have had the flywheel off the end of the crank, have you SEEN an existing oil hole along the tapered section where the flywheel mounts? I really doubt it exists on our bikes, but if it did ... that would be way cool............. for the stator... and a cheap fix for us....

I've got the voltage monitor ... and hope stator would fail slowly, giving me time to plan repairs ... but am planning long trip for this summer and don't want to lug along a spare stator nor get caught 100 miles from civilization with dead battery ... just kinda annoying... for trail riding the RAT may not be a match for my skills... and pac-man may not like the terrain... I may be back to the bike-generator......

I'll see if I can at least get us each a rocket!

Well... it's 5PM EST .......

JRWooden screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 03:19 PM
Old 03-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #761
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,717
I think what we really ought to do, as team players, is to stock stators, fuel pump controllers etc. at home and post our general location. Then we can be unburdened and free to travel all of NA and know that spares aren't too far away. Pay it forward. For the Capitalists, maybe offer an optional AOG service like the aviation industry. Take the cost of the part x 10 and deliver it for free, anywhere. K, maybe 5x for bikes but we could negotiate.

I hate the thought of all the spares and emergency fix tools we have to carry on long trips. Need room for the cans of water.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #762
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Why doesnt anyone contact Buell and ask re drilling / balancing the old flywheels, amongst the crew there are a number of them sitting on the shelf and you have the pic's of old and new. Even a small machine shop could do the work but Buell would have more knowledge re the engine type and design aspects
Old 03-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #763
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
I think what we really ought to do, as team players, is to stock stators, fuel pump controllers etc. at home and post our general location. Then we can be unburdened and free to travel all of NA and know that spares aren't too far away. Pay it forward. For the Capitalists, maybe offer an optional AOG service like the aviation industry. Take the cost of the part x 10 and deliver it for free, anywhere. K, maybe 5x for bikes but we could negotiate.

I hate the thought of all the spares and emergency fix tools we have to carry on long trips. Need room for the cans of water.
I'd be happy to help people coming through this area. We now have the stator we took out of Stephanie's bike that we could use in an emergency, and $99 stators are only a day away from here, from RMStator.com, and we have all the tools and a garage if anyone needs the help. We also have a 2 bike trailer so we could collect a bike if needed.

We keep some spares around, as well for the GS and the Suzuki DR650. More so for the DR, in fact.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #764
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Wayne:
In my (admittedly feeble ) mind, we've first got to figure out if the crankshaft of the twins can support this modification to the flywheel...
If there is no oil gallery in the crankshaft to match, then flywheel modification is not gonna help ... well the oiling modification won't help... the "holes drilled in the periphery" modification might help ...

Emmbeedee:
Thanks that's very kind!
Do the RMStators come with the correct plug to fit the harness, or is it a "field operation" to move the connector to the replacement RMStator?

I always take my laptop on trips, and you can bet your last dollar that if I get taken out, I'll be posting a "help me" thread, and if I see anybody else that is down close to me, I'll do the same!.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #765
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

JR, we could have how feeble is my brain competition, instead of how big is my ...., I reckon at the moment I may win hands down

But more seriously, BMW have added air circulation holes and showing/explaining the problem and an old flywheel to a decent engineer/designer like Buell they could answer pretty quickly if it was feasible, it could save a lot of people money and grief but without showing them old/new we are only crystal ball gazing.