User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
81cr450 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
How old is old

I'm just curious what you all are considering " OLD " 2-stroke wise. I was born in 76 so the bikes from my early teens are what I see as old. A 20+ year old 2-stroke has been through a rebuild or 2. But I realize bikes were some of the very first replacements for the horse & buggy. Seems like there's a bit of division on here with the olds cool 2 stroke thread & if it aint old you should be in the thumper section YOUNG MAN
I think of a thumper as an xr500r my cousin had, so it just doesnt seem to fit in my mind as wicked give you the shakes throttle response of a 2 stroke bike.
Not trying to make anyone I just want to understand the division or sell by date to know if a build I'm working on is old enough to fit in olds cool

81cr450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81cr450 View Post
I'm just curious what you all are considering " OLD " 2-stroke wise...
I suppose "old" is in the eye of the beholder (beer-holder?). I grew up riding the 2-srtokes in the late sixties to the late seventies, and in to the early eighties. I bought a brand new Suzook 125 from the dealer in '72; I was 15 years old and I was a MOTOCROSSER (or so I imagined). Over the years I progressed to an '83 Suzook RM250. Still have an '80 YZ50 that I restored for my son way back in the early 90's. Since that last RM250 (which I never should have sold - it was perfect) I have had and still have lots of 4-strokes. My YZ400 project is the first 2-stoke I have owned in 10 years. Again, how old is old? Are there any rules? By today's standards, if a bike is over 10 years old it is "obsolete" (subjective, I know). If it is over 20 years old it is an ANTIQUE!
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 03:52 AM
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
Motorrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81cr450 View Post
I'm just curious what you all are considering " OLD " 2-stroke wise. I was born in 76 so the bikes from my early teens are what I see as old. A 20+ year old 2-stroke has been through a rebuild or 2. But I realize bikes were some of the very first replacements for the horse & buggy. Seems like there's a bit of division on here with the olds cool 2 stroke thread & if it aint old you should be in the thumper section YOUNG MAN
I think of a thumper as an xr500r my cousin had, so it just doesnt seem to fit in my mind as wicked give you the shakes throttle response of a 2 stroke bike.
Not trying to make anyone I just want to understand the division or sell by date to know if a build I'm working on is old enough to fit in olds cool

Your mom is old..

To me.. 1975 and older on 2T

1971 and older on 4T

oh. and I was born in 82 so age has nothing to do with it.
Motorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:01 AM   #4
Donzzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Mainly because this sits in my office window, this is what I consider old. It's a 1901 Steffey motor unit in a 1901 Columbia Chainless frame.

GARAGE-ISSUE-#18
Donzzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:02 AM   #5
Donzzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzzilla View Post
Mainly because this sits in my office window, this is what I consider old. It's a 1901 Steffey motor unit in a 1901 Columbia Chainless frame.

GARAGE-ISSUE-#18
And it is a 2 stroke
Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Motorrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzzilla View Post
And it is a 2 stroke

Id make a comment about 2 strokes. but this isnt JM...
Motorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Donzzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorrad View Post
Id make a comment about 2 strokes. but this isnt JM...
I'm confused?? Is this satire about the girl or you do't believe the motor is not a 2 stroke?

Ha, Ha if it's about the girl It is however true the motor is a 2 stroke.

Zilla!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
81cr450 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I dont care how old the bike is, she can stroke me twice, or even 4 times, anytime. I know I belong in the basement, err, garage

Nice old bike too, that would have been light with those bicycle tires

"Your mom is old.."
Hey 85 year old guys think she's young & HOT

But back to seriousness , I think the over 5 years & its outdated really fits the dirtbike "old" spectrum. By then your replacing plastics , if you drop it alot like I do anyway, its time for some internal work, probably change a tweaked rim.... The new is clean gone & its time to get to work on it. Ten years & its obsolete is just time to think about converting to newer suspension & EFI.
81cr450 is offline   Reply With Quote