User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,256
What I fucking HATE about the media:

"UPDATE: Neal and Hand were recently spotted in a boat on the river in a remote part of Peru, authorities announced Tuesday."

This comes from a Huggington Post article with the headline "Jamie Neal and Garrett Hand, California Couple, Missing On Peruvian Cycling Trip." The article goes on to allege that travel is dangerous, even though, right at the top, is the update saying that they're safe. Neither smugglers, nor drug dealers, nor gangsters, nor poisonous snakes, nor bandits, nor drunk drivers, nor any of the other horrible dangers...

wtf.

The internet is a fucked up place.

And I wish these two love birds could get lost in peace.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #17
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
a special group like us
Ellen told me I am specials very specials
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Ecuador
thanks. i stand corrected.
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #19
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Quote:
Just saying the aren't ADVers, a special group like us

People are always disappearing, the World is dangerous. Some are looked after more than others
ah! i get it!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #20
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,281
Alledgedly found:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/26/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #21
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:

Bad bloggers!

I would post sporadically when I was traveling and YFF's never said, "wow, we havent heard from Vinny in over a month, I hope he's OK." It was probably more like "I guess Vinny got lost looking for putarias." Even my mother would say, "Oh, youre still alive?" I felt so unloved.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:50 AM   #22
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,399
Good to hear they're OK.

Honestly Peru is one of my favorite places. It has so much diversity and the poeple very hospitable, especially in the places people warm you about like Tingo Maria and Pucallpa.
I could see getting lost there easily for years. The river system is pretty amazing. I spent two weeks riding riverboats last year between Yurimagua, Iquitos and Pucallpa, and there was still so much more to see.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #23
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileGS View Post
They were found and had no idea they were missing.
As usual, always the media. And now their parents want a proof of life jajaja!!. I hope Peru charge them the rescue operation ,because it cost a lot of money, big bucks!!!. Bunch of irresponsible kids.........

Same as the Coast Guard in California. They spent over $400K no a rescue mission operation for a suspected missing yacht . 25 thousand square miles covered and now it looks that it is a Hoax

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #24
Pongo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
This should not be made lite of

Another couple and a sister were badly beaten with rocks by villagers in peru just a while back, another older heavier couple has been missing since january.
Families have good reason to be worried.
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #25
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
Another couple and a sister were badly beaten with rocks by villagers in peru just a while back, another older heavier couple has been missing since january.
Families have good reason to be worried.
Oh, BS. Bad shit happens to tourists everywhere. Tourists are routinely robbed, beaten up, raped, killed, or less extensively taken advantage of all over the world - the US and Canada included - maybe even more routinely. Just because Peru has had two instances in the space of a year doesn't mean they're developing a serious problem, especially considering the huge volume of clueless foreign tourists they get who are obsessively bent on seeing machu pichu.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #26
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Quote:
Oh, BS. Bad shit happens to tourists everywhere. Tourists are routinely robbed, beaten up, raped, killed, or less extensively taken advantage of all over the world - the US and Canada included - maybe even more routinely. Just because Peru has had two instances in the space of a year doesn't mean they're developing a serious problem, especially considering the huge volume of clueless foreign tourists they get who are obsessively bent on seeing machu pichu.
yeah, maybe, but when you're a relatively small country who's 4th largest sector is tourism, it makes sense to protect that sector. it's not all that great for tourism when the media splashes missing persons reports. if countries that depend on tourism simply say, "stupid tourists. they shouldda known better..." word may spread about lack of safety and tourism may just drop, which in peru's case, would mean the fourth largest sector of the economy would be in the shitter.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #27
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
What I fucking HATE about the media:

"UPDATE: Neal and Hand were recently spotted in a boat on the river in a remote part of Peru, authorities announced Tuesday."

This comes from a Huggington Post article with the headline "Jamie Neal and Garrett Hand, California Couple, Missing On Peruvian Cycling Trip." The article goes on to allege that travel is dangerous, even though, right at the top, is the update saying that they're safe. Neither smugglers, nor drug dealers, nor gangsters, nor poisonous snakes, nor bandits, nor drunk drivers, nor any of the other horrible dangers...

wtf.

The internet is a fucked up place.

And I wish these two love birds could get lost in peace.

Mom was worried, mom had a Facebook account, mom went on some Facebook campaign and the media grabbed it.

Facebook, the Internet and knee jerking moms should be hated first, because if the next time it happens for real no one will care.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #28
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Fucking Californians.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #29
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,649
Quote:
Just saying the aren't ADVers, a special group like us

People are always disappearing, the World is dangerous. Some are looked after more than others
I notice the missing kids pictures on the wall in Wally World many times when I shop there & it gives you the creeps to think how many kids are missing. I also have walked the Riverwalk park along the river in downtown NO,LA in the early a.m. & seen the dozens of kids lying around on the grass sleeping/passed out,etc..
Having worked with juveniles in treatment for some yrs I do know that many are the kids nobody wants. Yes, "some are looked after more than others" is so true.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #30
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo View Post
Mom was worried, mom had a Facebook account, mom went on some Facebook campaign and the media grabbed it.

Facebook, the Internet and knee jerking moms should be hated first, because if the next time it happens for real no one will care.
It depends on what the check-in agreement was, right? Like if you're out there and you say, "I'll check in every day. If you don't hear from me for three days, send Blackwater," then Mom better fucking send Blackwater. But if you're out there and you say, "Mom! Leave me alone! I'll check in when I want!!!" and you're over 18, then Mom is SOL... but she's still Mom, and if she wants to pay Blackwater out of her own pocket, then she can, right up to and including having Blackwater grab her kid by the back of the neck and say, "Listen to your mother, asshole."

-says I, a dad of 2 kids who like to do adventures like their dad; two kids who know that if they don't check in on time, either I or a fucking battalion of ex Marines will find them.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote