User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #46
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,275
Baja pits

ATTENTION ALL SAN FELIPE 250 RACERS. HERE ARE THE BAJA PIT LOCATIONS FOR SAN FELIPE: BAJA PIT #1 @ RM 38, BAJA PIT # 2 @ RM 90.4, BAJA PIT # 3 @ 144, BAJA PIT # 4 @ RM 182, BAJA PIT # 5 @ RM 223. WE ARE WORKING ON THE BAJA PITS RACE MAP. IT WILL BE DONE ON 2/27/13. BAJA PITS FREE PRE-RUN PIT AGAIN THIS FRIDAY THRU RACE DAY AT RACE MILE 90.4.

That whole race gas thing is a bitch especially for bikes... they should be excluded
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #47
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
I might have to go pre-run this next week. I should be crossing into baja sunday morning. Maybe i'll ride it monday...
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #48
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

I think I'm going to give this a try, but I have a couple questions:

1) Is it going to be disruptive to the real competitors if I take a couple tourists out on the course on Monday the 4th? If we're going to be in the way, I want to skip it.

2) Can anyone identify the "more interesting" segments? We're departing from Rancho Sky Mike in the AM and expecting to be at Alfonsina's that night, so we can't do the whole thing... Is there a particular fun 150mi segment that has truck access at either end?

Thanks!

EDIT: Looking at the map, it looks like it would be pretty easy to do mile 10 - 142 or 142 to the finish. Any suggestions on which is more fun?
Old 02-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #49
AngryShawn OP
Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post

1) Is it going to be disruptive to the real competitors if I take a couple tourists out on the course on Monday the 4th? If we're going to be in the way, I want to skip it.

2) Can anyone identify the "more interesting" segments? We're departing from Rancho Sky Mike in the AM and expecting to be at Alfonsina's that night, so we can't do the whole thing... Is there a particular fun 150mi segment that has truck access at either end?

Thanks!

EDIT: Looking at the map, it looks like it would be pretty easy to do mile 10 - 142 or 142 to the finish. Any suggestions on which is more fun?
When pre-running, everyone is a tourist, just watch out for the yahoos who think its race day
Northern section looks more interesting, but I'd defer to the more experienced baja riders to give an accurate assessment.
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #50
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:

Thanks!

I would expect a rough track, deep silt, and A LOT of whoops. If your "tourists" are novice (or better) dirt guys on mx bikes that are prepped well, I think they will be fine. If they are dual-sport guys on KLR, DRZ, ect. on 50/50 dot tires and tubes it will likely turn into a multi-day torture-fest. YMMV

I can't say with certainty that what I'm seeing on the map is stuff that I have personally been on, but I have been on a decent amount of terrain in that area and I don't remember any of it being easy (except for the lake bed).
cross-country is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #51
KZJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
I would expect a rough track, deep silt, and A LOT of whoops. If your "tourists" are novice (or better) dirt guys on mx bikes that are prepped well, I think they will be fine. If they are dual-sport guys on KLR, DRZ, ect. on 50/50 dot tires and tubes it will likely turn into a multi-day torture-fest. YMMV

I can't say with certainty that what I'm seeing on the map is stuff that I have personally been on, but I have been on a decent amount of terrain in that area and I don't remember any of it being easy (except for the lake bed).
Don't think that because its "only" 250 miles that it is easy. The whoops will take their toll on both body and equipment. Don't like sand whoops, that's ok there are rocky whoops, don't like rocky whoops, we got rocky sand whoops for you.
Truck access to this course is good. Try to talk a 4 wheel team into letting you see their BFG book, it has all the info you could ever want about the course and local areas.
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #52
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys, we're going to give it a try. Just to be conservative, I think we'll try start at RM 144, since that leads into the lake, which as you guys said, isn't technical and then if anyone is feeling over-matched, we can take the sportsman cut off at RM 185 and rejoin at RM 235.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #53
AngryShawn OP
Punchbowl Pooper

Quote:
Thanks guys, we're going to give it a try. Just to be conservative, I think we'll try start at RM 144, since that leads into the lake, which as you guys said, isn't technical and then if anyone is feeling over-matched, we can take the sportsman cut off at RM 185 and rejoin at RM 235.
If you haven't already, look at the course notes from SCORE:
http://score-international.com/gps/1...21113%20jd.xls
If they are going to note 'giant whoops' @ 203.68 you know they've got to be monsters
Old 02-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #54
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
DO NOT RIDE ON THE RACE COURSE ON RACE DAY!!!!!!!!

Besides the super soft stuff before you get to the dry lake, if you try to get down Morelia road you will be on the race course. You do not want to be riding on the race course from around race mile 148 all the way down to race mile 185. And once you do get down that far the only way back out is to go backwards on the race course unless you wish to continue south on the race course and go out one of more technical washes in all of Baja.

You would be much better off watching near Borrego where north of the Hwy has more technical stuff to watch. I would then go down below San Flippy on the old Puertecitos road (dirt) and work your way over to the race course as it runs along the base of the mountains.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #55
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf;20808212[B
][/B]That whole race gas thing is a bitch especially for bikes... they should be excluded
Apparently Roger Norman has back peddled on the gas issue with the threat of several big name teams (including one who is a title sponsor) pulling out of SCORE for good. They have also decided that the sportsman bike will not be doing the northern shortcut, only the southern one. WAFJ.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #56
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Easy, buddy. I'm talking about Monday the 4th, not race day. I'm not new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
DO NOT RIDE ON THE RACE COURSE ON RACE DAY!!!!!!!!

Besides the super soft stuff before you get to the dry lake, if you try to get down Morelia road you will be on the race course. You do not want to be riding on the race course from around race mile 148 all the way down to race mile 185. And once you do get down that far the only way back out is to go backwards on the race course unless you wish to continue south on the race course and go out one of more technical washes in all of Baja.

You would be much better off watching near Borrego where north of the Hwy has more technical stuff to watch. I would then go down below San Flippy on the old Puertecitos road (dirt) and work your way over to the race course as it runs along the base of the mountains.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #57
AngryShawn OP
Punchbowl Pooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
They have also decided that the sportsman bike will not be doing the northern shortcut, only the southern one. WAFJ.
Care to share your source?
gps files on the SCORE site were updated yesterday and still show both sportsman bypasses...
Old 02-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #58
SP's Dad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
they mentioned it last night on DirtLive.
SP's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #59
AngryShawn OP
Punchbowl Pooper

aha, couldn't catch the show last night, thanks...
now lets see if they actually update the website
Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #60
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryShawn View Post
aha, couldn't catch the show last night, thanks...
now lets see if they actually update the website
You'll get more information off of Roger's fuck'n face book than from the SCORE site. Real professional stuff there.