Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #6271
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Leaders of the Pack

Kicking back on day "last".
Loading one image at a time from SmugMug might just put me in the loony-bin.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #6272
McDOPE
Adventurer

Dingweeds/Dingweedette/Dr.Rock & LDF do Denver

That's better....
Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #6273
McDOPE
Adventurer

Dinner in Denver

No Shrimp on the barbie this far inland.

David dubbed these Walmart-achokes...He had to go there to get some "braces"

Nuttin' but bones

Camera man with his "big gun"

And a fine "single" courtesy of the Rock.

Thanks for the vicarious M10 experience. There are five inches of snow on the ground at our house today...Starting M11 in Tucson was the right choice.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #6274
Buzzworm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Top Ten?

Doc - Been lurking about on the ADV forms for a while now and ran across the Mobius RR during the middle of stage 4 and have been hooked ever since. Now that you have Mobius 10 under your belt I was wondering if you had a “Top Ten” list yet. Excluding folks that rode with you because I’m sure they were all awesome. So limit it to places, critters, trails, scenery, food, people you ran into along the way, epiphanies, etc, etc
A few of my personal favorites…The not quite dead guy, Towing LDF’s bike for miles on the freeway in the dark and Fun with Scala. I still laugh when you say “She can hear me but I can’t hear her. Maybe that’s not such a bad thing.” That sense of humor is plainly evident in your posts and video updates and contributes greatly to the overall reading enjoyment of this epic RR.
The last few days of the trip LDF showed a lot of guts riding something that mechanically didn't inspire a lot of confidence. That has to detract from any enjoyment if you are wondering when things are going to break… hats off to her.
Buzzworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #6275
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,704
Laugh As usual AWESOME stuff...

looking forward to M11.
Been following since M1, does that make me a stalker?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #6276
BSTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
thanks for taking us along M 10

that was obviously a relaxed ending of M 10.
Thanks to all of you for posting, it was a great time here on the sofa following you around!!
Ciao Gero
BSTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #6277
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
Doc - Been lurking about on the ADV forms for a while now and ran across the Mobius RR during the middle of stage 4 and have been hooked ever since. Now that you have Mobius 10 under your belt I was wondering if you had a “Top Ten” list yet. Excluding folks that rode with you because I’m sure they were all awesome. So limit it to places, critters, trails, scenery, food, people you ran into along the way, epiphanies, etc, etc
A few of my personal favorites…The not quite dead guy, Towing LDF’s bike for miles on the freeway in the dark and Fun with Scala. I still laugh when you say “She can hear me but I can’t hear her. Maybe that’s not such a bad thing.” That sense of humor is plainly evident in your posts and video updates and contributes greatly to the overall reading enjoyment of this epic RR.
The last few days of the trip LDF showed a lot of guts riding something that mechanically didn't inspire a lot of confidence. That has to detract from any enjoyment if you are wondering when things are going to break… hats off to her.
The moments you've identified are certainly among the great ones, and you're absolutely correct in recognizing that the interactions we've had and the people we've met (Suicide Pass lady notwithstanding), have been universally excellent. If you go back to the Index on the very first post of this thread, you will find that I've kept it updated. Many of the links are to episodes that I'm always going back to, maybe I'm talking to a friend, and telling the story, and I say, hold on a second, let me pull up the photos -- and I'll use the index to go straight to that part of the trip.

I think many of my favorites are the "firsts"... cowboy camping, surviving a thunderstorm, figuring out a re-route, fixing a flat, many things which now for us are routine, and don't give us too much stress. I sometimes have opportunity to follow along some of the "TAT preparation" threads and I want to say -- "hey, don't worry so much, you'll figure it out, just enjoy yourselves" but then I realize that I, in fact, sweated the small stuff, made sure we were as prepared as possible, and that's probably a big reason why we've had such a great time on these trips.

Other top ten memories would include: riding through the tallgrass prairie preserve, riding in snow near Taos, seeing the topography of the US change as we traveled west, the white rim trail, cowboy camping at the abandoned mine, herding cattle, getting ankle-bit by sagebrush, all the great smells, the bear on the shelf road, getting trapped on telkwa pass, grizzly sightings, glaciers, just how surreal being that far north is, the sockeye salmon, the car crash in BC, the beauty of the Canadian Rockies, all the hard, technical riding like Bruneau canyon and most of M9, buckarooing, Bonneville salt flats, Dunn ridge, and I'm sure I've left out plenty.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #6278
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Other top ten memories would include: riding through the tallgrass prairie preserve,.
That one is a vivid memory of mine too Doc.

Great M10 trip and RR Enjoyed it thoroughly.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #6279
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 833
Next best thing to reading about a Mobius ride??

Participating in a Mobius ride!!

M10 looked tremendous!
DRRambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #6280
McDOPE
Adventurer

One More..Really the Last

Check out these crazy glass! A TOAST to DR. ROCK, LDF and M11 come spring.

When The Mobius 10 leg came to and end in Denver my wife Lyn missed the fun. She was away in Dallas nursing her sister after bypass surgery. Lyn had gotten a rough diagnosis herself which came up in the conversations with Dr. Rock and LDF. A few weeks after they returned to NYC a box arrived in the mail with a wonderful "Thank-you" gift and the best ever wishes for Lyn's full recovery following mastectomy. Lyn and I, my son and his fiancé used these brilliant glasses to toast the generosity of spirit that drives the Mobius duo to ever greater adventures. Lyn is doing great....no small thanks to these glasses which you may notice are always "half full"

Just another example of how these wonderful characters ROLL.
We can't thank you enough for your contributions to our vicarious enjoyment of moto adventures...and foodie fanaticism.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #6281
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 662
Well I have watched this RR for some time now, lurking in the shadows from time to time when I get a chance to catch up. Of course the trip is awesome, everyman's dream to cover the country like that. We have tried to do something similar, although limiting ourselves to pretty much pavement while in the lower 48.

My biggest take-away is not so much the details of the trip but how you are able, Doc, to harness your apparently-driven-type-A-personality (and all the quirks that come with that) and plan a trip that turns out to be so much fun for everyone else. Almost an oxymoron. I can't seem to pull that off. I have learned much about how to handle my wife's riding idiosyncrasies from watching you interact with LDF. For that I wish to thank you. We share a medical background, sounds like, and we tend not to be the most patient tolerant people. Well done.

I look forward to the next leg of your trip. Wish we could join you. If you ever decide to take another run up North it would be a delight to meet the two of you. Dick

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #6282
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,229
Wonderful trip, wonderful read for dull ride-less winter days. Thank you so much for taking us along. As always, I really enjoyed going along.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #6283
biosci
Tumbleweed54473

Oddometer: 197
Mobius Adventures

Hey, Thanks Dr.R & LDF for allowing us into your riding world.

Really appreciate all the work put into your RR's, and for updating the index.

The Mobius Trips are as important as morning coffee.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #6284
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,648
Sand Riding

Well it appears the Mobius 11 is going to be riding in quite a bit of sand.
Feet on the pegs---throttle wide open----hanging off the rear of the seat.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #6285
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,447
lol. I think I'll leave the 800 at home then.
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote