ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #31
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Perhaps. For the price, I am going to try a pair of these as auxiliary lights on mine 990.

To suppliment the HID On my 450, I am adding one flood and one spot of these lights.

I will report back this spring on how well they work. Yes, I am getting what I pay for. However, for $225 I am setting up two different bikes with supplementary dual LED lights with respectable lumen output. I do not plan on doing a lot of night riding, or racing the Baja 1000, so I expect these lights to be adequate for what I need.
Lumen out put really doesn't mean much in todays LED lights.
I certainly understand the allure of less expensive products, Thats why harbor freight is in business. Like tools, sometimes the less expensive (cheaper)product will get you by. In most cases your better off spending slightly more the first time.
I cant and wont give an examples here, but I'm sure many can relate.
I hope the lights work well for you.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #32
Mud Bucket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Why have just one when you can have them all, or most.
I put on the 6" hybrid under the main head light with 2 dual floods on the sides and 2 of the spot dually's on the bars. Great for up close and wider distance for the highway. Lots of possibilities with different configurations.
Great to have the instant on rather than the warm up time with the HID's
Click the link to see
http://s1133.beta.photobucket.com/us...0990R%20lights

Mud Bucket screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 01:58 PM
Mud Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #33
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports View Post
Lumen out put really doesn't mean much in todays LED lights.
I certainly understand the allure of less expensive products, Thats why harbor freight is in business. Like tools, sometimes the less expensive (cheaper)product will get you by. In most cases your better off spending slightly more the first time.
I cant and wont give an examples here, but I'm sure many can relate.
I hope the lights work well for you.
"Slightly more" is where I'm struggling. When I start talking $350/unit, I start to grab my wallet. Even the cheap LEDs are great for increasing visibility.

OTOH, I bought a DRZ and KLR, learned their shortcomings, and have upgraded to KTMs.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #34
Mud Bucket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
"Slightly more" is where I'm struggling. When I start talking $350/unit, I start to grab my wallet. Even the cheap LEDs are great for increasing visibility.

OTOH, I bought a DRZ and KLR, learned their shortcomings, and have upgraded to KTMs.
I tried the cheap route and purchased 2 light for the lower bars. $50 dollars each for 1500 Lumen. 1 lasted 25% of a trip.(road part) and was not working when I really wanted it on the offroad part at night.
The problem is the standard work lights you see for cheap are not designed for extreme vibration. I took apart the light after it failed and looked inside. What I found was a small coil had broken off inside. Lots of parts on the circuit board to vibrate off.
The Rigid light I have also taken apart and found there are no parts to vibrate off. Looks like a real solid design.

And listen to Cyclops, he knows.
Mud Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #35
crushing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Rigid Industries Dually D2

I have the R.I. Dually D2 in a driving pattern mounted to my KTM 950 Adv with a Black Dog Cycle Works triple clamp mount.

PROs: The lights are super bright and great for evening off-road use. For on-road, I used the amber covers to help dim the lights. They're highly visible in traffic. Watertight.

CON: After about 10,000 miles (75% on road), the thin R.I. mounting brackets cracked off (within 100 miles of each other). R.I. was good about replacing the brackets, but didn't replace a lost cover due to the failure.
crushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #36
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Good feedback, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Bucket View Post
I tried the cheap route and purchased 2 light for the lower bars. $50 dollars each for 1500 Lumen. 1 lasted 25% of a trip.(road part) and was not working when I really wanted it on the offroad part at night.
The problem is the standard work lights you see for cheap are not designed for extreme vibration. I took apart the light after it failed and looked inside. What I found was a small coil had broken off inside. Lots of parts on the circuit board to vibrate off.
The Rigid light I have also taken apart and found there are no parts to vibrate off. Looks like a real solid design.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #37
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Bucket View Post

My DDM lights arrived last week. Based on this post, I open them up to check on the quality of construction. There seems to be a decent rubber gasket to keep water out of the circuit board area. The coils and other small components that are likely to vibrate loose, have been glued down with what appears to be a filled epoxy compound. Even though these are listed as a work light, they seem to be a reasonably rugged. I did not remove the circuit board, for fear of disrupting the thermal interface on the back.

I do not plan on using these as my primary lights. Rather, I want to run one or both of them as lights on my 450 for the occasions when I am running a front number plate gas tank for extra range. For rides where I know I will be out after dark, I am going to mount the LED flood light on a ram mount to supplement my HID lighting.

I will be installing the square flood lights on the crash bars of my 990. I have not opened them up yet to see how well they are built. I would be happy to post pictures of the internals if anyone else is interested

Old 03-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #38
Scott Baja
el semental negro

Oddometer: 232
My Rigids mounted

I made the mounts for the lights, and switch
Scott Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #39
Epictetus70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I really like my Baja Designs setup.....you can also buy a set and mount them as additional lights. They are sick bright! I also bought a remote dimmer switch so I can lower the lumen's so I don't blind other drivers. It's also set up to go full bright when I hit my hi-beam switch.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/products/motorcycle-products

Epictetus70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:35 AM   #40
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,553

Just put a set of BD lights on mine. STUPID BRIGHT is the only way to say it. Compare the numbers. I think they are brighter then the LightForce Striker 170 and wont snap off like the LightForce.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #41
CAYMALAM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Today I bought a pair of rigids D2 in driving lights. Just have to say WOW. The perfect brightness.

The only thing ive notice is when the fan is running when i turn it off the fans get more velocity.
Do you recommend to change the oem stator?

KTM 690 Enduro R '12
CAYMALAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #42
MooseBuilt
MoooooooooOOSE!

Oddometer: 147
Called the company

Spoke with Jeff in sales and he wasn't aware of any leaking issues and hasn't seen any come back in a long time...... Yeah I'll keep shopping for a higher quality product. Flip side is we could buy the lights and pot them ourselves with electronics potting compound which would not only make them watertight but help heat dissipation emensly

Any thought folks?

Retired CRF450X TRX450ER Superhawk 996(3) XR650L(2) XR650R(2) CBR900 XR650R Motarded ZX600
MooseBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #43
CAYMALAM
Adventurer

Any recommended waterproof handlebar switch?

KTM 690 Enduro R '12
Old 02-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #44
CAYMALAM
Adventurer

Im using the oem rigid switch but want something with better look and waterproof. I made little box with plastics. Doesnt looks good but is functional for my needs.

KTM 690 Enduro R '12
Old 03-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #45
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAYMALAM View Post
What is the source of those mounts?
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote