User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #391
El Explorador
Radical Explorer

Oddometer: 269
Felicitaciones amigos!

So glad to see you made it amigos. Love the report and happy to see that even when the road ends the adventure doesn't - that's the spirit I liked about you guys!

p.s. When they ask me how much it costs, I laugh, say "mas de cinco dollares", and quickly ask them a question to change the subject. I like your story better though!
El Explorador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #392
eSTes1300
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
The Bike

Can you summarize the bike's performance. How many Km did you start and finish with? What modifications? Problems along the way? Average fuel consumption? Great report and I like your spirit. Thank you.
eSTes1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:10 AM   #393
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Hi guys,

we are back on the radar, after 10 days of complete rupture with all technology :) It was interesting but now we are starting to plan our way back home.

So our journey is quite far of being over... as we have more than 5000 kilometers to go and a little under 1 month until our embarkation point for Europe.
Also, in this month we have to sort out the way we are going to send our motorcycle back to Europe. I figure from Montevideo or from Buenos Aires. But we haven't found yet a solid deal...

eSTes1300: very valid points. I will try to make a summary about all of them but I would like to get home first, so we have a clear overall picture :)

@Blake: haha, your answer is good as well. But be aware, some of them might be ready to "pay" that amount to get your bike :P Eh, just good old fun on the road :) I wish you safe travels!
Old 02-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #394
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

As I've noticed quite a lot of mistakes in my report I got a little bit horrified and promised myself a "re-read" and a proper cleaning up once we will get home. In order for this to function properly I need to have access in a centralized place to all the "text and lyrics".

So from this post onwards I intend to post here the first 2-3 pictures from the story and then provide a link to Micadu website for the rest. I figure it shouldn't be more difficult to read, and you can most definitely go on with the comments here, on this thread, as it is more easy read by everybody than on our website :)

Here we go...

Still trying to get out of Bolivia with the stories. But somehow we are delayed again. This time with a good reason: Salar de Uyuni!

Salar de Uyuni: 12-14 of January
We had plans to take a detour, starting from La Paz, into the Amazon basin on the (in)famous Death Road. But since we couldn’t find the inter strength to stop in the capital, we find ourselves now on our way to the next “landmark” that we would like to see: Salar de Uyuni. But to get there we first need to head towards Potosi.
Then, using a newly asphalted highway (just finished in december 2012), we make our way through beautiful landscape.

We have around 200 kilometers to go and we are really enjoying ourselves. This is what motorcycles are made for!

Open roads, bright colors, blue skyes! Uhuuu!

The continuation of the story, on micadu, right here!

AnjinSan screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 09:02 AM
AnjinSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #395
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

One day in Argentina: 15-16 January 2013
Leaving Uyuni is not that easy as we have to sneak through the line of cars waiting for their turn at the only gas station in the area. We didn’t manage to figure out if the line was that long because there was no gas at the pump or because the whole village wanted to fuel up at the same hour of the morning.

We don’t have to join them in line as we have our spare gas canister that will take us out of here, to the next, hopefully uncrowded, gas station. We are heading back the same way we got to Uyuni just that this time it seems drowned in a summer day’s laziness. We get to a small village where we were supposed to find gas. Hmmm… Some other times maybe. Now everyone is enjoying their siesta….

Read the rest on micadu, right here.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #396
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 637
Niagara Falls

Wow! Those falls are absolutely amazing and it's now entered into my bucket list. Those photos are great and gives a person the idea of what it's really like there. It's something that I've thought about doing for many years but at times others say that "it's too commercialized, etc." I just want to see the water going over and that's about all! Thanks for taking the time to do this for the rest of us.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:20 AM   #397
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Wow! Those falls are absolutely amazing and it's now entered into my bucket list. Those photos are great and gives a person the idea of what it's really like there. It's something that I've thought about doing for many years but at times others say that "it's too commercialized, etc." I just want to see the water going over and that's about all! Thanks for taking the time to do this for the rest of us.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Hi Gary,
the falls are a little bit over commercialized but so are a lot of other beautiful places in the work. If you want to see them, I would say, try and go for it. I believe that anyone can go and pick the things and activities he likes to do and make the most of a place.

Cheers from Rio Grande, Tierra del Fuego
Old 02-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #398
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnjinSan View Post
Dear friends, we've made it. End of the road, but for sure we hope not end of the trip! So stick around!

It only seems like a few weeks ago that we met that night on the campground in Tok, Alaska ...and now you are at the other end of the continent .
Glad to see that you made it all the way down and that you keep on smiling
Old 02-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #399
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Current state: "not the best day for science"

- high winds in Tierra del Fuego make motorcycle travel unsafe
- Andreea has a cold
- from all the shipping agents contacted in order to sort out the shipping of Gunnar back to Europe, only one replied and with a prohibitive price. That won't work... :(

Hopping tomorrow will be a better day!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #400
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
It only seems like a few weeks ago that we met that night on the campground in Tok, Alaska ...and now you are at the other end of the continent .
Glad to see that you made it all the way down and that you keep on smiling
Yeah you are perfectly right! I feel that it passed so little time since that night in Tok :) Makes me want to get back to that place. But unfortunately we will have to go back home soon.

How's Guatemala? Figured out where are you going next?

Saludos!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #401
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The New World IV.16 - Atacama

We’ve been in Argentina for only one day and here we are, already going for a heist escape towards Chilean border, across the Jama mountain pass.

This is not because we were not enjoying Argentina but just because we decided to save it for later and try to see how Atacama desert in Chile is. I must admit I was a little bit anxious to cross Atacama desert, one of the driest places on Earth (annual rain is 1 millimeter).

Read it further on Micadu, here.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #402
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
still following your journey, I am enjoying the ride! photos of the canoe shortly
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:42 AM   #403
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcaddy View Post
still following your journey, I am enjoying the ride! photos of the canoe shortly
Thank you :) And I am looking forward for the canoe photos. In about 3 weeks I should be home so just in time to use them :)
Old 02-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #404
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

On our journey, we crossed paths with many other travelers, using all kinds of transportation means. From the simple hitchhiking to bicycles, tricycles, motorcycles and all the way up to caravans. Different people on different journeys. But all of them had something in common: they were smiling!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:52 AM   #405
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

With the pace I am uploading this I think I will lose any hoe of ever getting back to correct mistakes. So please forgive any misspellings.

The day we’ve visited the Desert Hand in Atacama, was the last day we had our Nikon D3000 photo camera in proper working conditions. Sometime after that stop a stone must have hit it in the display, something that we’ve noticed much later during a stop. The bad news was that that the display was cracked and un-usable anymore. The good news was that the camera retained it’s main function: to take pictures. So let’s be happy about that. We will have to make it without the nice shiny colors
What we didn’t know at that time is that this incident was to be only the first of a quite long string of “accidents” happening to our electronics. But for now, the worries were far away, and we were enjoying the fresh cold morning air. The road mingled sinuously between desert rocks and the ocean and everything was so quiet in this morning. Our only companions were the fishing boats, docked in natural harbors.
Before leaving Romania a friend asked us if we could bring him back home pebbles from the more special places we will encounter. Well, since Atacama left us with a quite strong impression, Andreea decided to take a hmm “small” pebble for him. First try… major fail!
OK, shall we try again with something more appropiate. Here we go.
A little bit more South we see police in the street. They wave us down as well. We were not doing anything unlawful so I was thinking Oh, come on guys, we are enjoying Chile, please don’t change that. And just when I was about to forget all my Spanish and all my English and getting ready to have a conversation in Romanian, here are the police guys just telling us that we should be careful as Dakar Rally stage is ending here and there will be a lot of people around. Oh yes?? Bam, suddenly I remember again to speak in Spanish and the sky is bright again. So where is the Dakar? Well on that off-road there. But you cannot go with the motorcycle, the road is closed for public use. OK, but I can walk and take some pictures? Sure, go ahead. Goody!
Unfortunatelywe could not advance too much so only pics after the checkpoint so no pics from the “heat” of the action, just the finale and the relaxed waves of the ones who did managed to finish the stage. That works good enough!
It is hot, it is dusty and it is full of people. In the second one of the motorcycles stops, the rider is surrounded by spectators, all wanting to take a picture with the moto, or to shake his hand or to talk to him. It is really impressive to see the show! And a lot of these guys are local heroes.
We exit back on the main highway and it gets better! Turns out that those who finish the special stage on the insane terrain, get a “bonus” of extra 120 miles on tarmac up to La Serena. That means a lot of race cars, trucks and bikes just sharing the 2 lanes road with us. Uhuuuu!
For the next 2 and a half hours we feel right in the middle of this awesome event. The guys who finished are naturaly in a happy mood so there is a lot of passing by happening, waving around and posing for pictures. We have fun! And we see a lot of “monsters”. From the 2 wheeled ones

Up to some a little bigger… (and with more wheels on them )
We are so engorged into the ride that we neglect to fill up when we had the chance. This was because I was only 150 km into the tank and I felt “safe” with so many people around. It didn’t felt like desert anymore. But guess what. IT was! Soon enough we are down to using our extra gas from the plastic recipient. Too soon after that (windy) the light blinks again. The city was still 100 kms away. Great job Alex! How cool it would be to remain without gas in the middle of the Dakar Rally guys! I already see myself waving down some of them for some spare gas. That would have made an interesting story! Luckily in the next village we find a grampa who sells gas from plastic bottles. Naturally, special price for the stranded ones…
And the old guy knows his business. Dakar or no Dakar he doesn’t drop an inch of his price. Fine, give me 5 liters of your finest! Err…
So with our wallet shaken down but with our pride saved, we can rejoin the show
On the sides of the road, lots of people, all trying to find that special spot for that special shot. Some of them have chairs with them, or blankets, they wave flags and smile. They wave to us as well which makes us feel very bad as we feel that unintentionally we are deceiving them. They came here to see the Dakar and we are not part of the Dakar. We are just two travelers. They keep waving us and I feel like stopping and say sorry sorry guys we are not what you think. Of course that is not possible so we just wave back and hope they are not too disappointed when they don’t see any “racing number” on our windshield.
And yet… even when we ride very slow and it is clear that the people realize we are not from Dakar, we are 2 up and with luggage, they still wave to us and take pictures. Even when we stop (finally) at a gas station this happens. So maybe it is just that these people are really passionate about 2 wheels? Good for them.
We reach Serena in the middle of the racers and… 5PM traffic. All on one lane going into the city. Nice. At least we have nice posters!
I know, here on the street these guys might look a little bit silly all dressed up with fancy moto suits riding their colorful machines. But it is enough to see them in action for a few minutes and you will get the idea, you would understand what is all the hype about. OK, normally I don’t have YT links but this time…
After you see all this, I think you are ready to get out of the door and take the first plane to South America Hmm wait we are not even back home yet. So let’s enjoy South America!
We make camp further South from La Serena in a small place near the ocean. Tenting near the water was a nice way to spend the last nigyeht close to the Pacific. Next morning we say good bye to its blue waters. It was to be the last time we will see them in this trip. Until next time! Please don’t get too dirty in the mean time!
Next was Santiago which totally surprised us. We usually avoid the big cities but here we plunged in and it turned out to be very good times. We meet wonderful Chilean people which since then become our friends (thank you Sandra, you have a wonderful family!)
We discovered a hot and lazy city, quite empty as a lot of the people were out on holidays – strange sensation walking almost all alone between high concrete buildings, with no cars passing by. Where is the crowded capital?
We also met a very cool Suzuki dealer. He let us work in his courtyard and even provided an oil pan to use without asking for a penny. Thank you! Then we spent a slow day in the city. We strolled the streets and our slow pace seemed very alert compared to others…
In the same day we encoutnered the Dakar again. This time at the last day, finish day! Just in time to see some more race cars. No race emotions today, just the parade today.
The road South will be quiet and filled with tranquility, nice views and nice people. We stay with CouchSurfing hosts (thanks guys) and discover the very pitoresque part of Chile. But we were looking at the map and despite we had covered some serious ground, we were still closer to Santiago than to Ushuaia. It was time to get back to Argentina and meet Patagonia. We were anctious to enter the last stage of the journey South. Sometimes we wish we could fly to be faster. But riding a motorcycle is as good as it gets Argentina, here we come! Again.