User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
slidefighter OP
Gather it up, keep on...

Oddometer: 257
KTM 690 Tank Bolts

I am a new owner of a 2012 690. Read the original "KTM 690 Tank Bolts" thread end to end. The last entry was in 2011; the thread appears to have died there. At the time the "word" was to get Mudguts upper tank bolts and Partsmaker's aluminum lower tank bushings and Delrin upper bushings. I see now that Rally Raid makes something they call "Tank Mount Bolts" ($89.95) and a "Lower Tank Mount Kit" for $55.50 for the 690. Are they serious?

Can anyone fill me in on what the deal is now? Mudguts and Partsmaker not making theirs any more? Is the Rally Raid design better or something? Has KTM fixed the problem on more recent 690's?

I appreciate the info.

Regards,

Lee...

"Never adopt an ideology that masks a lack of courage"
slidefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,628
looking as well....
Old 02-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
melt757
Mel757

Oddometer: 1
I came up with the same as Slidefighter. I assume the KTM bushings are better now.

Limited experience with the sight. It might be my search technique.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks, Mel
melt757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 221
Tank bolts

I can't attest to members on his forum making the upper and lower tank bolts, but I did just receive my Rally Raid upper and lower tank bolts today. Nice looking pieces.
The one bit of advice I can give you is order them straight from Rally Raid. https://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk .

Even with overseas shipping they were still $30 per set cheaper than ordering from KTMtwins.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:54 AM   #5
Perun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidefighter View Post
I am a new owner of a 2012 690. Read the original "KTM 690 Tank Bolts" thread end to end. The last entry was in 2011; the thread appears to have died there. At the time the "word" was to get Mudguts upper tank bolts and Partsmaker's aluminum lower tank bushings and Delrin upper bushings. I see now that Rally Raid makes something they call "Tank Mount Bolts" ($89.95) and a "Lower Tank Mount Kit" for $55.50 for the 690. Are they serious?

Can anyone fill me in on what the deal is now? Mudguts and Partsmaker not making theirs any more? Is the Rally Raid design better or something? Has KTM fixed the problem on more recent 690's?

I appreciate the info.

Regards,

Lee...
Well, I wasn't planning to post this yet, but...

I bought '08 690 Enduro few months ago so I was after improved tank bolts, upper and lower.

Mudguts is not replying on his thread and he is offering only upper bolts. RR solution is great, but to expensive and I didn't like a thing or two on it.

I have all resources needed for this kind of work available - machines, materials and staff, so I made complete set for my self (upper tank bolt caps + bolts, lower tank sleeve and bolt and PET lower bushings). I made it to be much stronger then it needs to be, just in case (AISI 4140 steel, heat treated then zink coated - strong as 10.9 bolts, etc). There are few other improvements, but I will bring some details and pictures in few days when I get back home.

Beside that one for myself, I made 6 sets for sale. Complete set will be available for 55 Euros shipped to Europe and 60 Euros (82 USD) shipped to USA.

I will make a thread about it in few days, with all details.
Perun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perun View Post
Well, I wasn't planning to post this yet, but...

I bought '08 690 Enduro few months ago so I was after improved tank bolts, upper and lower.

Mudguts is not replying on his thread and he is offering only upper bolts. RR solution is great, but to expensive and I didn't like a thing or two on it.

I have all resources needed for this kind of work available - machines, materials and staff, so I made complete set for my self (upper tank bolt caps + bolts, lower tank sleeve and bolt and PET lower bushings). I made it to be much stronger then it needs to be, just in case (AISI 4140 steel, heat treated then zink coated - strong as 10.9 bolts, etc). There are few other improvements, but I will bring some details and pictures in few days when I get back home.

Beside that one for myself, I made 6 sets for sale. Complete set will be available for 55 Euros shipped to Europe and 60 Euros (82 USD) shipped to USA.

I will make a thread about it in few days, with all details.
Well damn....I guess I should have waited

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #7
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 1,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidefighter View Post

I appreciate the info.

Regards,

Lee...
I bout my 2010 with 193 miles on it and broke the upper bolts in less than 500 miles of semi-hard off road riding. Replaced with the factory bolts, not wanting to pay the RR price, and broke the second set in about 300 miles.

So, I ordered the RR upper and lower bolts, as of now with over 5k on the clock, no issues.

It sucks when they break... Order the RR and forget about them.

Hope this helps. Good luck, Eric.

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:10 AM   #8
Perun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954935
Perun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:48 AM   #9
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-E View Post
I bout my 2010 with 193 miles on it and broke the upper bolts in less than 500 miles of semi-hard off road riding. Replaced with the factory bolts, not wanting to pay the RR price, and broke the second set in about 300 miles.

So, I ordered the RR upper and lower bolts, as of now with over 5k on the clock, no issues.

It sucks when they break... Order the RR and forget about them.

Hope this helps. Good luck, Eric.

the biggest issue is that the stock bolts are soft and poor material so they break easily.

my upper tank bolts broke after a weekends trail ride - I just replaced them with an 8.8 or 10.2 bolt - cant remember which, and didn't have any problems again.

Though if Perun is making a complete kit upper and lower for 45% less than RR for EU customers and 37% for US then he is onto a nice market, im not even adding the additional purchase cost of the bushings! 55 and 60 euro for the full kit is a bargain!
fluff34567 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
rudk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethro303 View Post
I can't attest to members on his forum making the upper and lower tank bolts, but I did just receive my Rally Raid upper and lower tank bolts today. Nice looking pieces.
The one bit of advice I can give you is order them straight from Rally Raid. https://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk .

Even with overseas shipping they were still $30 per set cheaper than ordering from KTMtwins.
To tighten the male counter screw into the bare metal of the frame without the use of any washer like they do it on the Rally Raid vid on YT - even if that threaded frame spacer might be forged - doesn't look that smart to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOBVgYVZJw4
rudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #11
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
the biggest issue is that the stock bolts are soft and poor material so they break easily.

my upper tank bolts broke after a weekends trail ride - I just replaced them with an 8.8 or 10.2 bolt - cant remember which, and didn't have any problems again.

Though if Perun is making a complete kit upper and lower for 45% less than RR for EU customers and 37% for US then he is onto a nice market, im not even adding the additional purchase cost of the bushings! 55 and 60 euro for the full kit is a bargain!
I have an '08 690e with just over 10k miles, most recently 2300 miles from Yuma to LaPaz and back with a Gen 1 Wolfman rack and soft luggage. I replaced my upper tank bolts when I bought the bike with hardened bolts that I shimmed into place with Delron to mimic the shoulder bolt design of the originals. You can use aluminum sleeves to achieve the same effect. The problem with the original shoulder bolts is so obvious when you pull them, they machine the thread down to the shoulder and that is the weak point that they shear. A solid hardened bolt doesn't have that problem and the sleeve fulfills the shoulder function. The RR design is robust but difficult to access and stupidly expensive, I spent less than $10 at my local fastener outlet. YMMV
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote