Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 12:22 AM   #46
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
Sorry I can't answer that one as I let my mechanic to worry about all that detail :) Service intervals are a bit frequent at every 3,000km, in common with other SYM scooters... although I think I read somewhere SYM recently extended them across their whole range. It seems to me recommended service interval is really an almost completely arbitrary number and if you were doing your own work you could probably get away with less frequent services.
Then again if you don't ride much this might not be a major issue for you.
My Citycom has 21000 km on it and the valves need to be checked now. I know from experience that a small single will run and idle erratically with a tight valve, mine runs fine but it is starting to get a little noisy. Now that the bike is well run in I will probably get them checked every 25000 km when I replace the CVT belt. My mechanic suggested every 20,000 km was reasonable for a 250 class machine, SYM or Vespa.

If I was flogging the bike WFO frequently for long distance it would be different. I don't take it over 7000 ever and redline is Nine.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #47
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,219
I like it...

I had a chance to look an HD200 and an RV200 over today. I liked what I saw. The fit and finish looked good. The RV model caught my fancy. It fit me well and I came away with the conclusion it might be a neat scoot to put in the stable. I wish a test ride could have been taken, but the balance and feel of the scooter there in the showroom felt right. The performance of the engine, proven by the HD200, should provide a decent level of git up and go. Thinking there might be a lot of grins in that package. Considering the changes occuring in my riding habits, it looks like the RV would fill my future two wheel needs.
When the Majesty and Vulcan sell there will be some cash burning a hole in my pocket and I may go shopping.

On another note, the shop owner and I had a frank discussion about the "SYM situation". He felt good about the efforts of Alliance, the new distributor, and feels like they will continue making progress in developing support and parts availability.
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"

driller screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 06:27 PM
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #48
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,550
I also rode 120 miles to look at the HD200, and found out about the RV200. No contest for me, if I were to buy a SYM, it would definitely be the RV200. The HD200 just has that Kymco People/Honda SH150i big wheeled look about it that I don't like in scooters. Part of my definition of a scooter is "small wheels"
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 AM   #49
Dabears OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Rv200

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1L10C3VfGg

Nice Video. Impressive looks, and I really like the windscreen.

This is still carburated, right? (not that this is a bad thing)...

How's the seating position compared to the HD200? Appears to be cruiser style (which my lower back can't handle), but that may just be visual due to the way the front seat drops down.

Be great to hear real world owners start chiming in over the coming months!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #50
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,219
The RV200 fit me well. I'm 5;10" with a 30" inseam. The sit position is a bit more "cruiser" like than the HD. The "foot forward" position you see on the video felt very comfortable. Much like my Majesty. Actually there was a bit more room to move my feet around on the flat floor. The rise in the seat would keep a longer legged rider from stretching out as much.
If things fall into place, I may be able to give a real life report.
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #51
=retread=
more MPG

Oddometer: 124
h'mmmm, rv almost 50lbs. more than the hd. alittle heavy for 171cc's.
=retread= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #52
chau
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Just seeing this so not sure if it still matters to OP. bought a new hd200 in 2007. Have almost 10k on it. Short answer is go for it.

When time comes, I would definitely get another one. Reliable, very low maintenance and so utilitarian and practical, especially with a givi case. Enough power for two up around town and the bigger wheels over a vespa are much more comfortable especially for streets of NYC. Not to mention, it's been knocked over in which case, no worries. Just some scratches. If it was a Vespa, it would probably would have been dented...steel vs hard plastic. Build quality is good. Haven't had issues about parts because other than general stuff which is pretty standard for scoots e.g. Filters, brake pads, etc the bike has been pretty reliable so there hasn't been any need. One of the reasons I picked the sym over the scarabeo was concern for reliability after reading some reviews

I also ride a GS and a Triumph Bonneville but for getting around locally, the sym is my go to. So all in all, I highly redo the sym depending on your needs. Good luck and feel free to PM with questions
chau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #53
Dabears OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chau View Post
Just seeing this so not sure if it still matters to OP. bought a new hd200 in 2007. Have almost 10k on it. Short answer is go for it.

When time comes, I would definitely get another one. Reliable, very low maintenance and so utilitarian and practical, especially with a givi case. Enough power for two up around town and the bigger wheels over a vespa are much more comfortable especially for streets of NYC. Not to mention, it's been knocked over in which case, no worries. Just some scratches. If it was a Vespa, it would probably would have been dented...steel vs hard plastic. Build quality is good. Haven't had issues about parts because other than general stuff which is pretty standard for scoots e.g. Filters, brake pads, etc the bike has been pretty reliable so there hasn't been any need. One of the reasons I picked the sym over the scarabeo was concern for reliability after reading some reviews

I also ride a GS and a Triumph Bonneville but for getting around locally, the sym is my go to. So all in all, I highly redo the sym depending on your needs. Good luck and feel free to PM with questions
Thanks for the comments. Yes, I have no concerns about the SYM product, have read enough to know they are bullet proof. My view of the local dealer network, however, is not so optimistic. If they're able to gain a decent following and have dealers start to invest in some product to sell then I see a brighter future for them. I'm speaking only of the Atlanta area where I live; I don't know about dealer availability and inventory across the US, so please don't flame me. Kymco seems to be winning the dealer game by a wide margin...

As for me the primary reason I started this thread was to look for a powerful yet light scooter to carry on my RV. At this point I think I'll keep my old Vespa, sell my BMW R1200GS and pick up a small car to tow (like a Honda Fit). If I go for another scooter I'm going to be hard pressed to pass up the BV350 for all around scooting- too heavy to hitch carry though...Thanks for your input.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Old 03-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #54
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
I've been riding motorcycles all my life. Current ride is a 2012 DR650SE. As I'm 5'8" I've had to lower it (close friend is a DR enduro rider and knew exactly how to do it) and I also bought the factory gel seat (1" lower than stock seat). However, it's still a bit of a reach. As most of my riding is around town (Bisbee, AZ) with an occasional trip to nearby towns (no interstates), I am coming to the conclusion that a SYM 200 HD EVO might be just the ticket.

I'm going to look at a red 2012 Tuesday. It's nearby and the price is firm at $2295, which seems reasonable considering the original price. It has just a few thousand miles on it. I like the idea of being able to just step into it and sit down. Maintenance seems like a no-brainer. And, out here in the high desert a liquid-cooled engine isn't a bad idea.
blugg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #55
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,564
You'll be surprised how a twist and go scooter, especially one with a great engine like the HD200, will get with the program off the line. I am a big fan of this scooter. Across town or across the state, it'll do the job unruffled.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #56
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Rode the red one today. I was initially surprised by the quick (in comparison to a DR650) steering but soon figured it out and relaxed. Goes right on down the road at an easy 65mph and obviously would go faster, but this road is 55mph and the Arizona Highway Patrol uses Highway 92 apparently as a training area for newbies. Beautiful red paint and flawless fit and finish. I like the 16" wheels, much more pothole friendly than Vespa sized wheels. Also, my old Shoei R200 full face helmet fit under the seat! But I'd not put it there as I've never heard of anyone stealing a helmet down here. Rather use it for storage. I'm going to make him a cash offer tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #57
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,564
It really is a great scooter. There is also a good SYM forum you could google. And a website with maintenance info called Fire Drake, here:

http://www.jeffs-hotsauces.com/firedrakehome.htm
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #58
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

I bought the red SYM HD 200 EVO yesterday morning from a man who had meticulously maintained it. Hereford is about 25 miles from Bisbee, where I live, and Highway 92 is a fine, smooth two-lane road and I found myself cruising along at 75mph several times without realizing it. Never felt as though I were pushing it.

Unlike an earlier poster who didn't like the larger 16" wheels, I chose the SYM precisely for that reason. The larger wheels seem to add stability and they are not as affected by chuck holes. As far as aesthetics go, it's a very handsome machine.

Birdmove, thanks. I joined the SYM forum. If you read there, I bought gitsum's HD 200.

blugg1 screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 06:49 PM
Old 03-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #59
Dabears OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg1 View Post
I bought the red SYM HD 200 EVO yesterday morning from a man who had meticulously maintained it. Hereford is about 25 miles from Bisbee, where I live, and Highway 92 is a fine, smooth two-lane road and I found myself cruising along at 75mph several times without realizing it. Never felt as though I were pushing it.

Unlike an earlier poster who didn't like the larger 16" wheels, I chose the SYM precisely for that reason. The larger wheels seem to add stability and they are not as affected by chuck holes. As far as aesthetics go, it's a very handsome machine.

Birdmove, thanks. I joined the SYM forum. If you read there, I bought gitsum's HD 200.
I followed Gitsum's ownership almost from day one. He took good care of that HD and made a number of good mods to it. I think he bought a bigger scooter. You got yourself a good one. Enjoy.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Old 03-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #60
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
As for me the primary reason I started this thread was to look for a powerful yet light scooter to carry on my RV. At this point I think I'll keep my old Vespa, sell my BMW R1200GS and pick up a small car to tow (like a Honda Fit). If I go for another scooter I'm going to be hard pressed to pass up the BV350 for all around scooting- too heavy to hitch carry though...Thanks for your input.
I saw something like this one in front of me on my way back from California to Texas on the Sports City last week. (without the car just the bike and rv)
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote