ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #31
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off
 
fullmetalscooter's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: BC
Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD View Post
Only mental pictures from the thread so far, but that's a giggle!

One more mental picture......

A bloke 6ft1, race-stickered aero full-face helmet, Dianese race leathers, sitting on 90kph on an isolated country highway on a bright green 125 scooter.
Oh, I forgot. Waving happily at the trucks as they roll by.......

Gotta love scoots!
How about a 6.6 guy outfitted all the way to leat neck brace riding a scooter ? Thats me if I wasn't lazy and had fix my helix .
__________________
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting WHAT A RUSH, WHAT A RIDE.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." Charlie Chaplin
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #32
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer
 
Süsser Tod's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Mexico City, Mexico
Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
Small bikes with a carb tend to suffer the most at altitude because there is no reserve of power to lose. With a conventional carb the higher you go the more power you lose. The engine will run rich with a black sooty exhaust and will run poorly.

A bike in the 250-300 class with FI would be alot more useful and fun. A bike with modern FI can automatically adjust and run more efficiently at higher altitudes than a carbed bike and the greater torque (pulling power)of the bigger motor makes starting quickly on hills easy work.

You would still lose some power at altitude compared to sealevel, but it would be much less and much less noticeable than with the small bike.
Not really, with the way new bikes are setup from the factory they are extremely lean at sea level, but about perfect up here at 7,200 feet. The last carbed bikes I've had all ran perfect and had amazing looking tan spark plugs here.

It's just that a scooter with "supposedly" 9.5hp will lose about 24% of it's rated hp up here, so that 9.5hp scooter is only making 7.2hp. It has nothing to to with the fuel delivery, it's just that less dense air means there will be less oxygen to burn, FI can compensate and deliver less fuel, which is not the problem, it's the lack of oxygen.

Then, the CVT doesn't seem to be really THAT efficient, in fact, it sucks the life out of the poor little motor! Instead of holding the rpms high when going uphill, it would keep the rpms down. In every hill other courier bikes, 125cc same rated hp, would leave me behind easily.

For a moment I did consider splurging money and getting a Vespa GT300...

But it has only 22hp and it is 145kg? That won't work.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #33
noitallal
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 7
I think you guys are thinking too much.

I think you guys are thinking too much.

I haven't encountered any of this stuff and I've been riding scooters and motorcycles for many years. I'm a short fat guy. I weigh 240lbs and I'm 5'9",
I look even fatter in my winter attire which consists of a full snowmobile suit.

I cant' say that I'm completely impervious to what others think but overall, I don't put to much thought into what other people think of my bikes or what I look like riding them.

I really think most of it is in your own minds. Relax and try not to be concerned with people may or may not be thinking.
noitallal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:59 AM   #34
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay
 
vortexau's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Just off the Warrego, S.E. Queensland
Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromper View Post
Amen there..I can't count the number of people who seem to be all mad that they can't get ahead of me on a curvy road. Doesn't matter if I'm on a bike or in the eternally sporty & curve hugging Scion XB I have when I need four wheels. Four lanes, two lanes, so many folks have no idea how to handle a curve in even the most basic way.
So, we give them a Roundabout in another country:

YouTube-
European Vacation - Roundabout



"Look kids . . ."
"We know, there's Big Ben!"


That really cuts them down to size.
__________________
'77 BMW R100RS with Ural chair
'08 Suzuki AN650A Burgman (and trailer)
vortexau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #35
windburn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: A Corn Field in Enon. Ohio
Oddometer: 1,169
An evolving ridicule

I'm big and I ride a Honda Silver wing and I have been restoring to service a Honda Trail 90. I'm 65 and I live close to a large Airforce Base. Last year a soldier in uniform with three other in a compact car began pointing and laughing at me from the next lane. To their credit three of the soldiers tried to get him to stop, I'm sure they where embarrassed. The light changed and I was gone. Some where in this country we have lost civility.
I have been riding that Silver Wing since 2008 and have over 36,000 miles. I've had people on the freeway just stare at me. That I understand as it is not often one sees a scooter passing them on the freeway.
Frankly what they think is non of my business. I will continue to ride.

windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #36
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 274
94 Helix

I've put 65698 miles on my Helix which I haven't ridden in the last 7 years.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #37
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer
 
DudeClone's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: here, there, everywhere
Oddometer: 1,321
^^U.S. soldiers should conduct themselves in a more polite manner when in uniform. And out imo. That applies for non-soldiers, too. But especially for those in uniform. Good for the other three that tried to set him straight, I suppose

Plus the SW is a BIG scooter. You're a big guy. I see no difference in you riding that and a big guy riding one of those cruisers you are next to

A cager laughing at a rider for any reason is stupid. That makes me laugh at them. I mean, they're in a car

a car

And sometimes in the backseat!
__________________
bikes
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #38
Chindog
Old Guy
 
Chindog's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas, GA
Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
I've put 65698 miles on my Helix which I haven't ridden in the last 7 years.
Wow, that's a lot of pushing!

__________________
Mike Hopkins
2009 Aprilia Scarabeo 200 with a large Givi windscreen
I ride it to work every day I can. And some days I shouldn't.
Chindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #39
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: West coast British Columbia
Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Not really, with the way new bikes are setup from the factory they are extremely lean at sea level, but about perfect up here at 7,200 feet. The last carbed bikes I've had all ran perfect and had amazing looking tan spark plugs here.

It's just that a scooter with "supposedly" 9.5hp will lose about 24% of it's rated hp up here, so that 9.5hp scooter is only making 7.2hp. It has nothing to to with the fuel delivery, it's just that less dense air means there will be less oxygen to burn, FI can compensate and deliver less fuel, which is not the problem, it's the lack of oxygen.

Then, the CVT doesn't seem to be really THAT efficient, in fact, it sucks the life out of the poor little motor! Instead of holding the rpms high when going uphill, it would keep the rpms down. In every hill other courier bikes, 125cc same rated hp, would leave me behind easily.

For a moment I did consider splurging money and getting a Vespa GT300...

But it has only 22hp and it is 145kg? That won't work.
You have a point. The last carbed bike I had was my 02 Intruder 1400 and although it had stock jetting I drilled the plugs and adjusted the carbs properly. The bike was very hard to start and would barely run the way it came from Suzuki. Properly adjusted the bike ran pretty good but I did notice as you say, that the higher I went up to 8000 ft It actually ran stronger.

I don't know if EPA jetting would be an issue in Mexico.

That 22 HP Vespa would do a lot better that you might think. I have a friend who has a Vespa 250, he's an old fart like me. He blows me off at every stoplight and he say's he's not even trying. Once I wind the Citycom up it catches up but those Vespas have lots of lowend dig. Just what the doctor ordered.

On my bike I find that the CVT works way better on hills now that the bike has 21000 km on it than it did when the bike was new. RPM's are not an issue on hills now.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #40
hexnut
just cruising
 
hexnut's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: middle Tennessee
Oddometer: 1,259
__________________
Kymco People S 250
2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #41
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DarthJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Hell Paso
Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by windburn View Post
I'm big and I ride a Honda Silver wing and I have been restoring to service a Honda Trail 90. I'm 65 and I live close to a large Airforce Base. Last year a soldier in uniform with three other in a compact car began pointing and laughing at me from the next lane. To their credit three of the soldiers tried to get him to stop, I'm sure they where embarrassed. The light changed and I was gone. Some where in this country we have lost civility.
I have been riding that Silver Wing since 2008 and have over 36,000 miles. I've had people on the freeway just stare at me. That I understand as it is not often one sees a scooter passing them on the freeway.
Frankly what they think is non of my business. I will continue to ride.

Nice ride. He wouldn't be laughing for long if it was a senior NCO getting off the bike. We got an Army MSG here who rides a Silverwing.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014