Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #31
RTinNC
RT to GS in NC

Oddometer: 1,002
Probably repeating what has already been stated but after having owned a R1150GS (standard) for 10 years I sold it to a friend and then began the hunt for a replacement. Considered a Triumph but in the end realized I wanted to stay with BMW. So now to decide standard GS or Adventure. In addition to the better fit of the Adventure to my 6'3' frame I also realized a lot of the Adv features are things I would end up adding to the standard anyway. The full crash bars, the cylinder guards, the bag mounts, the adv windshield with extra support and wind wings, the Adv Bags. And while I really do not NEED a 9 gallon tank the bigger tank also helps with wind blockage. Have had my 2012 GSA since September 29th and LOVE IT! Glad I made the move .... and I did miss my '02 GS for about 2 months. Now I am very happy with my decision. Hope this helps. Oh .. and buying in September I got a killer deal on my 2012.

2006 R1200RT - Granite Gray
2012 R1200GSA - Magma Red!
RTinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #32
swimmonkey
JMS

Oddometer: 54
Number 5

Two 1200gs'
F800gs
and now -
1200GSA

All bikes have their strengths and weaknesses. I have a KTM525. It's like a vintage sports car. Fun but a ton of maintenance. Bought the F800gs used, put 32K miles on it in two and a half years and sold it for $1K less than I bought it for. Test rode a new '12 KTM 990 Adv. but, it didn't really do much for me. I bought a used '11 GSA.
I have ridden my new to me '11 GSA 600 miles and will say that it is a great tarmac bike. I will ride it on some dirt roads this coming weekend. It is a beast but I can say that if it is decent on the dirt, I will be a happy boy!

BTW, when I go out to the garage to get a beer out of the fridge and look at the GSA, it really stirs my soul.
swimmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #33
speedthrills
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I have a 09 GS with nearly all GSA farkles. I like the GS better for only the height and wt. I'm short. My bike is way scuffed up from dropping it where I shouldn't be. I could use the extra gas and lower gear. I got mine for $4k less than a GSA. Rent one of each and get which one you like and can afford. If you're like me they are not the same
speedthrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:07 AM   #34
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
I hate to say this, but.... Unless you've always wanted a GSA, you're probably going to want something else.

If you're using words referring to performance or weight, you'll be disappointed in the GSA. Get the GS, or a KTM or something else 'sporty' if that's an important quality to you, because the GSA is not.

Don't get me wrong. The GSA is quick, and quite nimble for what it is, but you'll never be able to throw it around offroad trails or urban streets like the lighter bikes. I would say that the people who buy GSA (and love it) have always wanted the GSA, they don't care about the weight, the height, the cost, or anything else. They had to have the GSA and nothing else would do. That said, a person would be delusional to say that the GSA is the best bike ever for normal everyday use.

Like many bikes, it has a specific niche in the riding world. I would say it's for two-up (or cargo laden) long range touring, where one might encounter a poor road occasionally, and where fuel is sparse (and the rider is too lazy to deal with fuel bottles).
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:02 AM   #35
RTinNC
RT to GS in NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
I hate to say this, but.... Unless you've always wanted a GSA, you're probably going to want something else.

If you're using words referring to performance or weight, you'll be disappointed in the GSA. Get the GS, or a KTM or something else 'sporty' if that's an important quality to you, because the GSA is not.

Don't get me wrong. The GSA is quick, and quite nimble for what it is, but you'll never be able to throw it around offroad trails or urban streets like the lighter bikes. I would say that the people who buy GSA (and love it) have always wanted the GSA, they don't care about the weight, the height, the cost, or anything else. They had to have the GSA and nothing else would do. That said, a person would be delusional to say that the GSA is the best bike ever for normal everyday use.

Like many bikes, it has a specific niche in the riding world. I would say it's for two-up (or cargo laden) long range touring, where one might encounter a poor road occasionally, and where fuel is sparse (and the rider is too lazy to deal with fuel bottles).
Again just my personal opinion and most things motorcycles are very personal and one size never fits all but .....YES the GSA is a tall bike and that was important to me. I would be buying an aftermarket seat for the standard GS just as I did for my 2002 so the comfort of the GSA was important for me. As far as weight goes it is all relative ... compared to my 2002 standard GS the 2012 GSA is no heavier and feels and handles much lighter. Also, handles better than my R1200RT. And again for ME ... the COST of the GSA was only $2000 or less than standard GS (I did get a great deal) but like I stated the big factor was I'd probably have added a lot of the GSA features to the standard GS. For certain I would have added the ADV shield and set-up along with the Winglets, the crash bars and cylinder guards ..... those alone are probably $1000 or close to it. IMHO the GS or GSA are great do it all bikes. They handle great, can be easily loaded up, are comfortable for long days on twisty roads or highway. When I bought my '02 I did not think I wanted or needed the GSA. I loved the GS and it served me well. I did add adventure bags and mounts, taller shield and seat. When I was shopping for a replacement for ME and again being tall the GSA was hard to beat. But it IS a tall bike and if I were much shorter in the inseam (34") then I'd probably opt for the standard and begin the farlking. If you compare the GSA or GS for that matter to lighter more off road bikes then you are correct the GSA is a big pig but it is truly all relative to what you are comparing.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:08 AM   #36
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,881
I really don't see what all this back and forth is about. Sort of like side loading vs top loading panniers. Both are good choices; it comes down to what works better for you and your style of riding.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #37
RTinNC
RT to GS in NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
I really don't see what all this back and forth is about. Sort of like side loading vs top loading panniers. Both are good choices; it comes down to what works better for you and your style of riding.
Well said! It is all about personal preference and what fits you.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #38
srpuywa
Big 'G'

Oddometer: 417
If I wanted a lighter ride - I'd go on a serious diet too
Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #39
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
I'll add another .02

The big tanks on the GSA are desinged to be a full fairing. Look at them....Look at them more closely. There was much thought that went into air managment on that bike.

The GSA is worlds better as a touring machine than the standard. I personally find the big pig super ugly, but it works. I'm much rather look at my 1150 Adventure, but the 1200 Adventure is a rider.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #40
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
I'll add another .02

The big tanks on the GSA are desinged to be a full fairing. Look at them....Look at them more closely. There was much thought that went into air managment on that bike.

The GSA is worlds better as a touring machine than the standard. I personally find the big pig super ugly, but it works. I'm much rather look at my 1150 Adventure, but the 1200 Adventure is a rider.
I found that the 08 GSA I had was very, very close to the 05 RT I had in rider protection. That being said, it accomplished that in a blunt, crude way and at highway speeds the price paid was in poorer gas mileage and acceleration. The RT would easily smoke the GSA because it had much better aerodynamics.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #41
srpuywa
Big 'G'

Oddometer: 417
the only minor complaint about the bigger GSA tank is that my legs dont fit on the cylinder heads as well when I want to stretch out
Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #42
lanceputnam
Hayden's Dad

Oddometer: 432
I had the same debate last september. I ended up buying the GS Rallye instead of the GSA. I am very glad I went this route. I was able to save a bunch on the initial purchase and set the bike up exactly the way I wanted to with the exact parts I wanted to. The only thing my bike lacks when compared to the GSA is the tank. I carry two- 1.5l supp tanks mounted to my ags so I am getting closer to the fuel range of the GSA. My bike set up exactly how I want it to be and is still a couple thousand under what I would have paid for a stock GSA brand new.

2012 BMW R1200 GS-Rallye
lanceputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #43
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceputnam View Post
I had the same debate last september. I ended up buying the GS Rallye instead of the GSA. I am very glad I went this route. I was able to save a bunch on the initial purchase and set the bike up exactly the way I wanted to with the exact parts I wanted to. The only thing my bike lacks when compared to the GSA is the tank. I carry two- 1.5l supp tanks mounted to my ags so I am getting closer to the fuel range of the GSA. My bike set up exactly how I want it to be and is still a couple thousand under what I would have paid for a stock GSA brand new.

If I was that short, I'd have gone for the GS too.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #44
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,278
This place cracks me up

The OP asked a very specific question, not KTM vs. BMW or any other question, jeez, the opinions one gets on this site.

To me the difference was all about the gas tank capacity and not much else. I love the huge tank and the comfort it gives me knowing I have enough fuel. It changes the way I plan my trips and ride. A great deal of my riding is in Baja where gas availability is always an issue but even in the states its great not having to worry about fuel.

btw- I had a 950 Adv and loved it but it did not accomodate my sweetheart on the back very well. (Note my Avatar, that's her on the back of the 950 somewhere on the beach in Baja). We took a trip to New Zealand and rented a GS, and loved it for that road trip. When we returned home I sold the 950 and bought the GSA. I love that bike.
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #45
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
If I was that short, I'd have gone for the GS too.
That's damn funny. Very nice looking GS btw.
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote