ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #226
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
I've got two 1.75s and a one gallon Rotopax. I'm thinking the best solution for Newfoundland would be to use the 1.75 on the top rack and the one gallon on the left, which would leave one 1.75 availabe. I recall you're on the stock DRZ tank, which isn't a mileage leader. As long as we're somewhere around 150 miles with a decent reserve, I think things will pan out.
That sounds like a plan. I appreciate it! I was thinking maybe I could make you a passenger peg mounted gas pack carrier to keep the weight lower and more forward on the bike?
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #227
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging
 
Canuman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: The Palace of the People, VT
Oddometer: 4,533
That might work if I had passenger peg mounts, but the E doesn't have 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post
That sounds like a plan. I appreciate it! I was thinking maybe I could make you a passenger peg mounted gas pack carrier to keep the weight lower and more forward on the bike?
__________________
The Rock 2013 RR
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915172
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: http://www.moto-racks.com
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #228
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
That might work if I had passenger peg mounts, but the E doesn't have 'em.
Don't ask me why, but for some strange reason I was thinking you were taking the KLR. If I had one, I probably would.
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #229
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging
 
Canuman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: The Palace of the People, VT
Oddometer: 4,533
It really boils down to which bike I feel is better equipped and prepped just before the trip. The KLR would certainly be more comfortable on the pavement and gravel roads, but the DRZ is the choice for the rough stuff.

My KLR currently has about 7 gallons of fuel capacity anyway, so range isn't a huge issue. I could see real utility in passenger peg fuel mounts on something like the Trans-Taiga and the North Road. With a one gallon Rotopax on each peg mount and a 1.75 on the tail rack, it would bring total capacity up to nearly 11 gallons, or somewhere around 500 miles with a reserve. If I decided to take the Moto-Mule trailer and wanted to go completely psycho, I could add another 3.5 to that.

When I get over to your shop, you might look at whipping up a set of those passenger peg mounts. I think they'd be a good seller for you, and a fairly unique product.

EDIT: The passenger peg idea is a good one, but after a staring session at the bike, I don't think it would work well for the Rotopax cans. It would work better with something like a 1 gallon Blitz can because of the available space. Since the Blitz cans aren't nearly as rugged as the Rotopax, some sort of incorporated crash bar would be a very good idea in the event that bikey took a nap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post
Don't ask me why, but for some strange reason I was thinking you were taking the KLR. If I had one, I probably would.
__________________
The Rock 2013 RR
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915172
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: http://www.moto-racks.com
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 01:46 PM
Canuman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #230
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
It really boils down to which bike I feel is better equipped and prepped just before the trip. The KLR would certainly be more comfortable on the pavement and gravel roads, but the DRZ is the choice for the rough stuff.

My KLR currently has about 7 gallons of fuel capacity anyway, so range isn't a huge issue. I could see real utility in passenger peg fuel mounts on something like the Trans-Taiga and the North Road. With a one gallon Rotopax on each peg mount and a 1.75 on the tail rack, it would bring total capacity up to nearly 11 gallons, or somewhere around 500 miles with a reserve. If I decided to take the Moto-Mule trailer and wanted to go completely psycho, I could add another 3.5 to that.

When I get over to your shop, you might look at whipping up a set of those passenger peg mounts. I think they'd be a good seller for you, and a fairly unique product.

EDIT: The passenger peg idea is a good one, but after a staring session at the bike, I don't think it would work well for the Rotopax cans. It would work better with something like a 1 gallon Blitz can because of the available space. Since the Blitz cans aren't nearly as rugged as the Rotopax, some sort of incorporated crash bar would be a very good idea in the event that bikey took a nap.
How much rough stuff will there be, and can you post some coordinates for the known locations?

You have some excellent ideas for the KLR gas cans. I'm looking forward to you bringing it down soon for a two headed staring session with coffee and doughnuts. We'll make something up that will work the way you want it.
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #231
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging
 
Canuman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: The Palace of the People, VT
Oddometer: 4,533
As much rough stuff as we can find, of course! I have some tentative tracks posted up here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839188

One of my real concerns, strangely, is that significant portions of the route are on the Trailway. As there is a lot of quad traffic, there are a lot of whoops. The DRZ is a much more relaxed bike in the whoops on rail bed because of its better adapted suspension. Miles of whooped-out rail ballast is pounding on a loaded KLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post
How much rough stuff will there be, and can you post some coordinates for the known locations?

You have some excellent ideas for the KLR gas cans. I'm looking forward to you bringing it down soon for a two headed staring session with coffee and doughnuts. We'll make something up that will work the way you want it.
__________________
The Rock 2013 RR
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915172
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: http://www.moto-racks.com
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #232
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
As much rough stuff as we can find, of course! I have some tentative tracks posted up here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839188

One of my real concerns, strangely, is that significant portions of the route are on the Trailway. As there is a lot of quad traffic, there are a lot of whoops. The DRZ is a much more relaxed bike in the whoops on rail bed because of its better adapted suspension. Miles of whooped-out rail ballast is pounding on a loaded KLR.
That should be challenging if it's for hours at a time.
The tracks look good!
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott

jackpiner57 screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 08:01 AM
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #233
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,632
Here's a link to my website: http://www.moto-racks.com/





DRZ 400 S/SM Rear Luggage Rack - Made in the
USA
================================================== =======================

This is a strong, lightweight rack with a large platform to mount a RotopaX fuel or water pack, tail bag, dry bag, multiple bags, etc. New design allows any type of side racks to be used.


* Guaranteed to fit your DR-Z400 S or SM

* Easy bolt on installation with no drilling or hassles.

* Guaranteed against breakage

* Large 14.25" X 14.25" platform

* Light weight


* Large bungee loops allow pass through of various sizes of Fastex type buckles and keep straps captive.

* Threaded mounting plate for quick and easy mount/dismount of a RotopaX Pack Mount. 1 gal. & 1.75 gal. Gas Packs or Water Packs fit this rack.

* Steel Tube Construction

* Satin Black Powder Coat Finish

* Sits flush with top of seat so the rack won't hit you in the lower back if you slide off the back

* Makes a good handle for pulling the bike out of the mud.

* All hardware is included.



P
rice is:


$114.00 plus shipping to:


USA = $14.00
Canada = $38.00
United Kingdom = $58.00
Australia = $58.00

Somewhere else? PM me and I'll provide a shipping quote.




All racks have a mounting plate for the RotopaX Pack Mount.



The flat bar brackets mount to the rear of the sub-frame tabs. This leaves the tab clear for the mounting of all types of side racks.
(Washers provided with bolts.)


Nuts are welded to the underside of the mounting plate. This allows quick mount/dismount of the RotopaX Pack Mount.



Shown with the RotopaX 1 gal. fuel pack attached. The new RotopaX 1.75 gallon fuel pack fits nicely.











DRZ 400 S/SM Side Racks

Side racks are designed to hold the Wolfman Expedition Dry Saddlebags and the bungee loops will accept their metal attachment clips. They'll also accept any other throw over type saddle bags. The extremely light, flexible and well rounded Givi E21N (21 liters) side cases can be mounted using our optional welded on pre-drilled tabs.

Placement of side racks keep most of the weight of luggage well forward of the rear axle.

Easy bolt on installation with all hardware included.

Works with or without the top rack.


Price: $189.00 plus 18.00 shipping

The pre-drilled Givi mounting tabs are an additional $30.00. Just bolt on the Givi hardware and you're ready to go. (Givi hardware not included.)


Picture shows optional mounting tabs welded on for attachment of Givi hardware.


__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott

jackpiner57 screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 07:57 AM
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #234
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Wlfman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: TN/AL
Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Finally got a RotoPax for my rack

1.75 Gallon
Quick update on the 1.75 RotoPax and mount.

After 500 miles of riding, the RotoPax has completely rubbed the paint/powder coating off to bare metal in several places...
__________________
I ride not to add days to my life, but to add life to my days.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #235
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Quick update on the 1.75 RotoPax and mount.

After 500 miles of riding, the RotoPax has completely rubbed the paint/powder coating off to bare metal in several places...
Wlfman, nice fuel pack! The RotopaX tank moves around a bit and with any dirt under there it tends to grind away at the powder coat. A piece of thin foam matting under there would help a lot. http://www.supersoundproofingsales.c...info/09-42719/
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #236
Lat
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Lat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: The Great Republic of Texas
Oddometer: 115
Thanks, Tom!

I just wanted to chime in and thank you, Tom, for the first farkle on my "new to me" '04 S model DR Z400. It even fits with the canister once I changed the canister bracket fastener out for an old battery terminal bolt with a smaller head. Rock solid. Might want to offer your rack with a gooseneck hitch? Yes, I should have done a sticker-ectomy before installation. ~Jeff

__________________
______________
'05 R1200GS
'04 DR Z400S

Ride For Kids
Lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #237
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lat View Post
I just wanted to chime in and thank you, Tom, for the first farkle on my "new to me" '04 S model DR Z400. It even fits with the canister once I changed the canister bracket fastener out for an old battery terminal bolt with a smaller head. Rock solid. Might want to offer your rack with a gooseneck hitch? Yes, I should have done a sticker-ectomy before installation. ~Jeff

Hi Jeff, thank YOU for buying one of my racks! It looks like your '04 is in "like new" condition! Thanks for posting a pic.

I'd love to get more info about your tool tube, like what brand and how it's mounted. Some pics of that would be great. I need one for my DRZ and customers sometimes ask if one will fit in there somewhere.

Gooseneck hitch? Oh no, then I'd have to start making trailers!
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #238
Lat
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Lat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: The Great Republic of Texas
Oddometer: 115
Not a tool tube, Tom.

Sorry for any confusion, Tom! The canister I was speaking of is the charcoal canister just forward of the helmet lock. I would think we could easily mount something in that area. One idea that comes to mind - gut the charcoal canister and come up with a removable lid and there would be room for a tube. ~Jeff
__________________
______________
'05 R1200GS
'04 DR Z400S

Ride For Kids
Lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #239
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lat View Post
Sorry for any confusion, Tom! The canister I was speaking of is the charcoal canister just forward of the helmet lock. I would think we could easily mount something in that area. One idea that comes to mind - gut the charcoal canister and come up with a removable lid and there would be room for a tube. ~Jeff
Jeff, sorry it took so long to respond! That sounds like a good idea!
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #240
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com
 
jackpiner57's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Northeastern Vermont
Oddometer: 1,632
These DRZ-S racks are in stock. Order yours today! http://www.moto-racks.com/Blank.html
__________________
Tom - '07 DR-Z400S, '05 DL650
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: DRZ400, DR650, KLR650, WR250R:
http://www.moto-racks.com

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014