Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #541
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Yeah, I looked last night. I will have to pull the fender to get the brand or get any pics. I will do that this weekend.
Thanks for the effort! I know it takes your time, and i appreciate it.

DD
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #542
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,070
I had this one on my SE, but it does not tuck the lights in as much as the one you have. Unless you modified this one to fit your needs.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #543
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,570
The one I have is similar... but as you noted... tucks the lights in more. I know it was originally designed for an Adventure with the low fender. I will pull the front fender this weekend and take more pics.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #544
WHYNOWTHEN
where are the pedals?

Oddometer: 562
Travelfrog, I will save you taking apart your bike.
The guy that made that bracket is dustjunkie.
Here is a LINKY to his thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509266
I don't know if he still makes them.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #545
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYNOWTHEN View Post
Travelfrog, I will save you taking apart your bike.
The guy that made that bracket is dustjunkie.
Here is a LINKY to his thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509266
I don't know if he still makes them.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #546
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post

Is that a mount you made or bought? I like it.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #547
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
1X Squadron or 2X SII?

I am planning on replacing the rectangular H4 headlight/HID retrofit with LEDs. This '00 KTM LC4E is used frequently on the road in traffic. I'm very pleased with the light I get from my Double Stryk so I've got some idea what to expect. I use that light for night bicycle rides and mount it to my motorcycle helmet for off road dirt bike rides. I love having a light shining where ever I point my head.

I have a few questions so I can figure out what to get. What would work best for on and off road riding:
  • A Squadron connected to a dimmer for hi/low beam, or
  • Two SIIs with one aimed low for low beam with the second that comes on for high beam aimed straight ahead.
I can fabricate a mount for either so that's not a concern. The additional cost of the dimmer makes up for the difference between one Squadron and two SIIs so cost doesn't drive the answer. I'm more interested in the quality of the light pattern on both high and low beam and what would be less offensive to oncoming traffic.

The BD website doesn't provide any useful information that I could find regarding the different patterns for the Squadron spot/driving/flood/cornering or SII spot/driving/flood beams. The Squadron data sheet shows the spot pattern gives both a wider beam and longer reach than the driving light. Must be some magic at work there.

Questions:
Both data sheets mention the lights are available in a combo pattern but the table only shows spot, driving, and flood. Is driving the same as combo, meaning a mix of spot and flood lenses?

Is the "wide/cornering" pattern on the Squadron oval shaped or is it just a wide round pattern similar to the flood?

If the wide/cornering pattern is oval shaped, is it available on the SII? It could make a good low beam.

What are the approximate beam angles for the different patterns? How do they compare to the Double Stryk?

Do you have a reccomendations between using two stacked SIIs or a single dimmable Squadron for street use?

What beam patterns would you suggest?

Thanks.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #548
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,823
I can't comment on the patterns as all of my Squadrons are driving.

I use the Squadron with the dimmer set at 20% as my low beam. It's not great as a low beam light (output about equal to stock) but I don't get flashed by oncoming drivers. Might be nice to have the adjust-ability of two lamps but I think you'll still need the dimmer unless you point the "low beam" downward so much as to be useless. Being a really small point source of light, the LEDs have a huge glare factor when directly looked at.

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #549
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,081
This might help some, I have a spot and wide cornering Squadron and then an Sll for a helmet light, the video toggles though them at some point. They're not adjusted well and I'm not going that fast, I just tore my ACL that afternoon.

The Sll is a spot, but has a different lens on it then a stock spot, so not apples to apples.

The wide cornering is great for on road since you can aim it lower for traffic, not sure what it would look like w/dimmer.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #550
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
It seems the thread on ThumperTalk for the SII has sort of died:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/100...#entry10705530

So perhaps I could ask my question here. Is there any reason why my SII would just stop working? Is it possible to blow or burn out these lights? Do they have a specific polarity?
So far I have only done some testing with my SII with my 12 v battery, not in a running bike. It worked great a few tomes and then when testing with my ignition switch it just quit. I tried connecting it right to the battery leads but no go, its dead. Is there such a thing as the light not working if the battery voltage drops too low? I think my battery reads 12.something volts at the moment.

Thanks for any help.
Greg
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #551
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,823
Typically, the voltage range for an led is fairly wide. I don't think 12.0 volts would be to low to drive these. Only think that might kill it would be to connect it with reverse polarity.

BD has a lifetime warranty, why don't you call them?

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #552
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
It seems the thread on ThumperTalk for the SII has sort of died:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/100...#entry10705530

So perhaps I could ask my question here. Is there any reason why my SII would just stop working? Is it possible to blow or burn out these lights? Do they have a specific polarity?
So far I have only done some testing with my SII with my 12 v battery, not in a running bike. It worked great a few tomes and then when testing with my ignition switch it just quit. I tried connecting it right to the battery leads but no go, its dead. Is there such a thing as the light not working if the battery voltage drops too low? I think my battery reads 12.something volts at the moment.

Thanks for any help.
Greg
Yes could have been incorrect polarity give us a call and we'll take care of you!
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #553
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
Yes could have been incorrect polarity give us a call and we'll take care of you!
I bet thats what it was. There are no markings on the plug for polarity. I will give you a call tomorrow to see what can be done. Thanks.

EDIT:
Everything appears to be ok now. I reversed the polarity and it works just fine. All I will have to do is switch my red and black wire leads on the plug. Thanks for the insight.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #554
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 839
Talked with BD a few minutes ago - had my card out and was ready to pull the trigger. Deal breaker was lack of an orange headlight shell (they have seemingly every color but orange). My bike has all orange plastic so a black or white shell would stand out in a bad way.

DoesPolisport make an orange shell that is the same design/shape/fitment as the BD Squadron shell? If so can someone link me up?
Old 04-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #555
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
Talked with BD a few minutes ago - had my card out and was ready to pull the trigger. Deal breaker was lack of an orange headlight shell (they have seemingly every color but orange). My bike has all orange plastic so a black or white shell would stand out in a bad way.

DoesPolisport make an orange shell that is the same design/shape/fitment as the BD Squadron shell? If so can someone link me up?
You can paint the shell....I had mine painted Lava Orange to match the factory BMW color. Yes, I have a KTM headlight shell with a Squadron on my BMW.

This is the output of one Sqaudron without a dimmer.
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote