Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #121
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,093
About 5cm of up and down movement before I started fiddling. Now about 3cm.

Looks like I've got decent shock bearings now which is good as they cost a shitload.

Also, according to the fiche, it looks like there's not meant to be washers under the heads of the bolts either. Mine has them. Shouldn't be a problem unless it moves the grease paths too far out of whack.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:33 AM   #122
pigeyes
bilge rat

Oddometer: 72
Righto, any of you blokes got a coded wiring diagram for these tt ( and/or XT) things.
currently putting blinkers on 2 of our 350's and the yankee diagram isn't compatible.
So if any one can steer me in the right direction for info.... greatly appreciated, got it almost sussed
but just like to check.Appears to be individual rectifier and regulator so may have to let some of the smoke out to find
where I need to connect things... beaudy eh!
mick
Old 02-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #123
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeyes View Post
Righto, any of you blokes got a coded wiring diagram for these tt ( and/or XT) things.
currently putting blinkers on 2 of our 350's and the yankee diagram isn't compatible.
So if any one can steer me in the right direction for info.... greatly appreciated, got it almost sussed
but just like to check.Appears to be individual rectifier and regulator so may have to let some of the smoke out to find
mick
Little bro has a factory manual, I'll see if it has the appropriate diagram...
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #124
pigeyes
bilge rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Little bro has a factory manual, I'll see if it has the appropriate diagram...
Nordie, that would be real good if it happens and we wont tell him about those bits that went missing from his bike.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #125
Lenz1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeyes View Post
mick
I've got a very basic wiring diagram for a TT350S that has no DC circuits.

The TT350 I've been working on is plated as a 1999 but the VIN number says its a 1994. The magneto leads are the standard white/red and black and brown into the CDI module plus the yellow for the lights. The yellow becomes yellow/red and runs up into the light switch where it is voltage regulated to 12V AC when the lights are switched on - makes sense to keep the bulbs surviving.

The added bonus in my case is the presence of an additional white magneto power lead. This little critter is provided for the DC requirements of horn, indicators, brake and instrument panel lights. The white lead also runs up into the light switch and is not voltage regulated with lights on (Yellow/red is switched in at this time) but is voltage regulated to 12V AC with lights off.

The standard wiring connects the white circuit to a basic rectifier (25mm x 25mm x 6mm thick) with 2 terminals - white one side and red the other. This is the way Yamaha produce a very rough 6V DC on the red circuit for indicators, horn, brake lights and instrument lights PLUS charge a tiny 6V lead acid battery. The low weight of a smaller battery seems to be the only positive result of the 6V option.

The big problem is when the white circuit is unregulated (lights on) there can be more than 20V AC in this circuit which when it is halved by the standard basic rectifier, produces ~ 10 V DC - this is not good for 6V bulbs, indicator senders and very small 6V batteries.

I've ditched the 6V DC setup and used a bridge rectifier to produce DC at a nominal 12V DC. The component is rated to 400V and 35amps and cost the princely sum of $AU 5 from Jaycar (everything electronic store) The rectifier has 4 terminals with white to the AC marked terminal and the second black magneto return lead diagonally opposite. DC positive is marked with DC negative diagonally opposite.

The 12V+ DC circuit now runs the horn, indicators, brake light and tail light. I tried a 12V car horn but it didn't fly so I went back to the original 6V horn and it tolerates the additional voltage - should be adequate for registration purposes.

I initially had a reasonably large 100V DC capacitor wired into the DC circuit but have deleted it - it's just not needed nor is a battery.

There is the issue of the headlight dimming significantly at low revs due to it's AC source off the magneto. It's entirely possible to fix this by converting the yellow/red AC circuit into DC with another bridge rectifier and using a large capacitor to store charge for use at low revs. I've opted to see if I can live with the variations in headlight brightness for the time being - I'm sick of working on the thing - it's time it was ridden.

Lenz1 screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 03:34 PM
Lenz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:47 AM   #126
Lenz1
Gnarly Adventurer

The TT350 I've been breathing new life into has at last had a test run on the road. I'm 95kg, the final drive is 14:50 and the rear shock is at max preload pending maybe a little softening of the rear shock.

The engine has great torque through low and midrange revs. I'm looking forward to fine tuning the carbies in the upper rev range when the wet weather clears.

Tomorrow we're off to get a pre-registration safety certificate then on to get the bike road registered.

I'll post some pics in due course
Old 02-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #127
Lenz1
Gnarly Adventurer

The TT350 is now road registered / "approved".

Given the new rings and honed bore I've done a few intervals of hard acceleration and roll off /slow down then a little run over a mix of sealed and dirt road.

The front end is very stable, responsive and absolutely acceptable.

The rear suspension with the rebuilt original TT350 "De Carbon" rear shock is at maximum pre load and 5 clicks back from max damping. I think there is room for a little reduction in preload and damping which means the rear shock is definitely within operating tolerances.

The engine is the result of 20thou off the head, std head gasket, valves refaced, shim clearances set to mid tolerance range but the big change has been the porting of the cylinder head plus new angled inlet manifolds. The original manifolds and poorly bonded rubber carbie joiners are complete rubbish.

The end result is an engine that pulls without hesitation off a slow idle and produces major power past mid range revs. The gearing is 14:50 (std), the carbies are standard with all standard jetting and I'm 95kg. At 60% - 100% throttle the engine develops hard acceleration. Open the throttle at 100kph in 6th gear and it drives hard immediately - it was pulling VERY HARD at 125kph @14:50 in 6th gear and showing no sign of losing power / accelleration

At 14:52 as with the 2012 450 KTM EXC, this thing will be very interesting in the dirt ..... it lives !
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #128
NordieBoy
Armature speller

I went for 10w oil in the shock and put on a better ext res.
The damping adjuster is in the middle of its settings.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #129
NordieBoy
Armature speller

I think my rings may be a bit shot. 300hrs on the rings and 1st oversize piston so far. It's spitting a bit of oil out the crank case breather.

14/52 is quite nice off road but with an MT43 on the back, you need to run a tooth smaller on the front just to keep the same ratio as the tyre is so tall. Not to mention 2 more links in the chain.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #130
Lenz1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I think my rings may be a bit shot. 300hrs on the rings and 1st oversize piston so far. It's spitting a bit of oil out the crank case breather
He sounds a little tired Nordie - maybe time for a refresh. Maybe a new piston etc etc etc

Trouble is it's like painting one wall in a house - all of a sudden the other walls look "neglected" then it's the room next to it When do you stop
Old 02-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #131
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenz1 View Post
He sounds a little tired Nordie - maybe time for a refresh. Maybe a new piston etc etc etc

Trouble is it's like painting one wall in a house - all of a sudden the other walls look "neglected" then it's the room next to it When do you stop
Just got a Sept '87 Dirt Rider mag.
It's got a multi-page article on the White Bros TT350...

NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:10 AM   #132
Lenz1
Gnarly Adventurer

I've upped the gearing to 15:50 for road use and gone back to the 32mm internal diameter muffler outlet. The bike tops out at around 140kph now by the speedo (felt faster) but I'll calibrate the speedo using GPS as standard soon.

I'm considering going to a 52 rear permanently and just changing between 14 and 15 for the gearbox sprocket with 14:52 for off road and 15:52 for the road.

A permanent 51 rear and changing between 14 and 15 could also be useful - I know it would be OK for the road but only a run in local off road conditions will tell me if 14:51 is low enough for deep dirt. I suspect 14:52 would be just about right for the torque this thing has running a set of knobbies.

I'm still blown away by how hard this little bike goes now from 50% to 100% throttle. A dyno run would be interesting .......
Old 02-26-2013, 02:43 AM   #133
pigeyes
bilge rat

wiring up smokeless.

Thanks for all the info blokes. got it all wired up with no probs and ready for rego.

I'm equally impressed with how well these things go when you open the taps,
it's great.
I like the way the bike settles into a nice idle quickly and responds to big handfuls of throttle from an idling crawl and just bolts as it revs out.

I can feel a motard coming on.

mick.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #134
Ted farkas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Wiring diagram

Hi,

The yamaha australia website has a pdf manual for these old girls (has wiring diag at rear). Currently getting my tt 3fity 91' back to glory - having troule with ideling rough and poping back through carby - assuming its a lean problem carb boots are new and carb has been pulled part and cleaned , any ideas would be help full .

Cheers
Brett
Ted farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #135
Lenz1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted farkas View Post
Hi,

The yamaha australia website has a pdf manual for these old girls (has wiring diag at rear). Currently getting my tt 3fity 91' back to glory - having troule with ideling rough and poping back through carby - assuming its a lean problem carb boots are new and carb has been pulled part and cleaned , any ideas would be help full .

Cheers
Brett
Highly likely to be running lean at the pilot screw on the primary carby. This is the screw downstream of the carby bowl. The manual says 2 and 3/4 turns out from fully screwed in but the real adjustment is whatever it takes to idle when warm and crack off idle without missing. Start the adjustment process at the recommended 2.75 turns out and go out from there.

If it doesn't settle down you've got a leak elsewhere

The Yamaha Australia site would have been the one place I didn't look for a manual before I started the rebuild project. The wiring diagram is helpful from the 1993 manual but the manual I've used successfully is for a 1986 TT350S - bit more comprehensive on the engine and adjustments.

Lenz1 screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 01:33 AM