Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #31
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,465
All 5 flats I ve lucked out . 4 happen 3 or min after I stopped doing hwy speeds and end up in town doing 35 or so. Last time was close Patch gave out 4 seconds after I exited hwy was going 75 Mph hauling to get a fairy 20 seconds before that. Was doing 40 MPh and off throdel. Just road it off into the grass in the conner of the exit and pushed to the gas station 1 block away and fixed it. The first time I was run off the road in my first year of riding 25 years ago I had trouble for 3 days driving my bike. 1 st day was the worst came to tight coners and just froze up.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #32
mr. matteeanne OP
Barned

Oddometer: 14,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I do not now have it, but I will. I think TPM is one of the best pieces of mind you can get on a bike. This is especially true when you are tired and not 100% on your game!

Jim
I am adding a tpm as soon as the boss lets me. I see one for $199? Any advice?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #33
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,555
Last year I borrowed a friends Paul Smart Ducati and got a flat on the rear while on the highway. I was fortunate to get the bike stopped without throwing it down.

What spooked me was how fast I was riding it prior to the tire going flat.....
Badge320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #34
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
I assume 'rode it out' means 'came to halt without falling off'...

Which I managed to do last time I had a riding flat. 80+mph in heavy traffic at dusk - poor visibility - on the M4 past Reading. I was in the outside lane on my tube-tyred Transalp when the rear tyre went down. First I knew of it was when the bike wouldn't steer crisply; seconds later, the back tyre began to swish and I had a real job to get the bike to steer across the inside two lanes to the safety of the hard shoulder, still at 70mph, while not getting squashed by a truck.

Fitted a new tube by the side of the road (sheltered by a Highways Agency vehicle that turned up after I started removing the wheel) and was on my way. I'll admit to a big sigh of relief on reaching the hard shoulder, but whilst trying to get there all my attention was focused on retaining control.

It did make me think about the wisdom of riding tubed tyres with a pillion but this was my only riding flat with a tubed tyre. I have had a couple with tubeless, which IMO gives a lot more warning of imminent deflation.

I have had innumerable flats while cycling and a high-speed flat when riding wired-on tyres can be very dangerous. Not only do you quickly lose directional control but, if the tyre comes off, it can wrap around and lock the wheel. And riding on the bare rim is not funny.
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #35
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,771
My wife and I helped a guy load up his bike after a getting a flat at 55 mph Friday.

He was on a newer Suzuki Boulevard (the big one) and got a big gash in the tire on one of the few straightaways along that lonely stretch of road. His buddy came to rescue him with a 2WD pickup and a ramp. The rear tire kept sliding sideways (because he was leaning it slightly toward himself for balance) so we had a tough time lining it up with the ramp.

Finally, we started from the middle of the traffic lane, and it slid into position. Once the front tire was on the tailgate, it took 5 of us to pull it up the ramp. We didn't dare use the engine power, since the rear was already sitting at the edge of the ramp.

Once the bike was in the truck on its side stand, the poor guy began to hyper-ventilate. He had inherited the bike from his deceased grandfather, and was terrified he was going to have to abandon it on the side of the road overnight (couldn't afford the tow bill). I'm just glad the blowout didn't cause him to crash, because he was wearing t-shirt, tennis shoes, and a half shell helmet. No gloves.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #36
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,578
The controllability of a flat is definitely dependent on the bike and type of tire involved. I had one once on a bike with stiff sidewalled, low-profile sport tires where I picked up a nail in my rear tire in the morning and then at the end of the day noticed that the tread on the tire had evaporated and the tire was toast. All that day I was riding quickly through twisty roads and hitting high speeds on long, empty stretches of central Idaho highway. I never suspected I had a flat the whole time.

Now, I check tire pressures a bit more often. A TPMS wouldn't be a terrible investment, though. I was already pretty good about checking tire pressures, and had checked my pressures that morning before starting the ride. A TPMS would have let me know and I would have been able to patch the hole and not have had to buy a new tire so soon.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #37
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
I just posted about RideOn in another thread - I think it works well as a balance tool, but the real reason I use it is for SOME protection against catastrophic deflation. I know it's not as effective in tube tires, but I figure every bit helps.
Luckily, have not tested it yet
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #38
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 546
I once hit a pothole on a left-turning interstate mixing bowl that gave me two instant flats. More of a crater than a pothole, it destroyed both rims while I had her leaned over. It wasn't until after I sat back down and tried to continue turning that I realized I had two flats.

Must have had angels on the handlebars holding the bike up.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote