Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #511
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
I will try and find my letter from when I imported my BMW and post it tonight.
It clearly said on the bottom "No outstanding recall campagins against this vehicle"
It is a factory recall clearance letter, has nothing to do with warranty
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #512
Stewart5533
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Just wondering rather than Fax all the paper work to RIV has anyone local to the Surrey BC office just walked in with there paperwork and got it sorted out there and then.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #513
bmwnewbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
I do believe the report needs to state something like "No Outstanding Recalls" or "All Campaigns Up to Date". The important part is that RIV needs to know that any recalls have been performed prior to allowing the import.
As MacNoob and gumbellion state the notation "NO OPEN CAMPAIGNS" on the report it is usually near the bottom of the report in CAPS.

bmwnewbie
bmwnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #514
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 812
Here are the facts on importing a BMW. A letter from any BMW dealer even if it says "no recalls outstanding" is not accepted for import. The letter must be from BMW Motorrad Canada. When you request and pay for the letter they will automatically send a copy to RIV Canada for clearance. You will receive a copy of the letter which is on BMW Motorrad Canada letterhead and is addressed to whoever is importing the bike(you) It states the year make and model and VIN number.
"This letter is to confirm that the above mentioned motorcycle at the time of production met USA/Canadian emission standards and did comply with US safety standards. There are no outstanding recalls on this motorcycle. Yours sincerely"
Then signed by two different BMW signing officers. Thats it... Hope it helps clarify a few points.

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #515
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Here are the facts from when I imported my BMW. Upon further inspection someone at RIV screwed up and didnt read the information at the top of the dealer printout I have. but regardless its imported and on the road. I think if you are going to be importing a bike why not try the dealer printoff route? Like me there is a chance you can get away with it for free, and worse case scenario it might take 3 more days to get your bike on the road. To me 500 savings vs 3 days is a easy one, especially when you can get a temp plate for the 3 days for 12 bucks
Here is what I submitted to RIV
Sorry for the shit pics.

Bottom

gumbellion screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 04:58 PM
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #516
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 384
some new info

I borrowed this from another post. Its a good read. You really need to pay attention to Para 2 which shows a quote from the RIV website. Its very clear what is acceptable or not. Scare tactics should not keep the informed ( us ) from making a great purchase south of the border.

“As of July 9, 2008 BMW and Mercedes very quietly dropped requirements that made importers pay for and procure admissibility letters from these manufacturers at a cost of $350 per letter. Furthermore, the manufacturers have also indicated to the RIV that recall and final compliance letters do not need to come from the Canadian head office of these manufacturers at a cost of $500 per letter. It seems that the Canadian government or perhaps some litigators finally forced these manufacturers to drop the requirements and allow for federally regulated compliance inspectors at Canadian Tire to review the cars, as has always been the requirement in the past. This means that we can install km/h speedometers and day time running lights at whatever cost and supplier we so choose.”

Dispelling the FUD

Don’t even bother calling BMW Canada or USA to confirm this because they are still spouting the same FUD, even today. The proof that this has changed can be found right on the RIV’s website at http://www.riv.ca/***************.aspx where option 2 states:

“A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database.
This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling their head office and providing them with the dealership’s location. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model, and indicate that there are no outstanding recalls. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication.”

And that's exactly what I did. One of the terms I negotiated was to have the vehicle Warranty Service Inquiry printout sent to me after I made the deposit, but before I signed. When I received the document, I immediately scanned it and emailed it to the RIV who promptly acknowledged receipt. I called an hour later and they confirmed it was acceptable. With the biggest roadblock eliminated, I proceeded to physically import my car, which took less than 40 minutes to pass both borders.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #517
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Sol View Post
ok, i keep meaning to post this info... (this is from my bad memory last month)

importing a BMW

the bike that i bought, the previous seller said that all the recalls were done, i dropped by the dealership that he had the bike serviced at and asked if i could have a copy of vehicle history. and the pic bellow is what her gave me. second sheet listed what was actually done to it. i scanned this copy and sent it in to RIV. even thou it says on the top of this sheet, it says not to be relied on for import. the information in the two red boxes is/was what RIV needed. date can not be older then 30 days, and "No Open Campaigns"

it really was a straight forward process.
- faxed the title, bill of sale, copy of my passport, and lien release to coutts 3 days prior.
- parked the bike at the little marked parking lot, just before the entry point for canada.
- went upstairs to the american customs office, informed them that i had sent the info three days ago, they stamped my paper, that was it.
- back to the bike, drove up to entry for canada
- answered a bunch of his questions, he instructed me to park the bike and enter the building
- approached the officer, he asked first time? then very easily walked me through the process of what info they needed
- paid the customs and left

got home, with the paper that he had gave me, went to RIV website, entered the 4 (different) numbers that the cdn customs guy noted on my white papers that he had given me, paid the RIV price. printed out the form and headed to canadian tire. walked in and they did a test there and then, paid cdn$9.65. took the signed paper home, scanned it and sent it back to RIV. think it was a day later they replied that it was accepted, again, another paper was printed out and off to the registry office...

i was impressed how easy it really was.... and would be doing it again...

hope this helps someone else out

Had friend yesterday who phone RIV and they assured him over the phoned and they gave a ref number that the above posted pic is all RIV ( second option from their website) requires to import bike. Bear in mind that it is date sensitive and must be dated within 30 days of purchase. Outside the 30 days and U may have to resubmit. This could not be easier. Hope this helps all and sorry to all the folks who got stung with 500$ BS from BMW Canada.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #518
blitzkreig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
WOW this thread keeps on ticking.

A couple random thoughts after having imported several cars and bikes back into Canada after having bought them in different States. No two States rules are the same and no two Canadian Provinces are the same. The last purchase I made was from California, where the plates go with the vehicle and are not retained by the Seller.

As I buy private insurance (Alberta) I got my insurance pink slip from my insurance company after I faxed them the bill of sale and they then scanned the pink and emailed to me so I had it on my phone. So I left the California plates on but had Alberta insurance. It must have been legal as I was stopped by a CHIP for having made an illegal left turn and it didn't seem to bother him at all, showed him the insurance pink slip on the phone and the vehicle title which had been signed over to me. Slick as snake shiite. Although I did get a ticket

Once at the border I slapped on an Alberta bike plate from another of my motorcycle in my fleet as we Albertans have 2 weeks to make a registration change after having bought a vehicle ... no need for a temporary anything. Again other Provinces would be different.

Just one note. If you are importing anything else when you are making the crossing, like tires or parts, even if they are for a friend claim they are for personal use. The CBSA gets really snippy if you say you are importing anything for someone else, as they say you need some kind of an import permit(s) or licence and there is a snow storm of paperwork and fees to make that happen and it ain't easy talking around it even for a one-off.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #519
Stewart5533
Gnarly Adventurer

Just got my bike delivered to the border, used a shipper who is also a Adventure rider. The guy is into shipping bikes to fund his next bike trip to Siberia. If your looking for a bike to be shipped I would give him a call Israel Gillette 423 293 2429. This is his blog information from his past trip to Chile www.israelgillette.blogspot.com Really cool guy worth the call.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #520
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart5533 View Post
Just got my bike delivered to the border, used a shipper who is also a Adventure rider. The guy is into shipping bikes to fund his next bike trip to Siberia. If your looking for a bike to be shipped I would give him a call Israel Gillette 423 293 2429. This is his blog information from his past trip to Chile www.israelgillette.blogspot.com Really cool guy worth the call.
Any more info on where he is located? Does he haul with trailer. Insurance? Maybe a few details on your transaction would be helpful. Thanks

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #521
Stewart5533
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick Magger View Post
Any more info on where he is located? Does he haul with trailer. Insurance? Maybe a few details on your transaction would be helpful. Thanks
He is located out of Nashville, goes coast to coast north and south, has a sprint van pulling a 25 foot enclosed trailer I beleive he carrys $100,000 insurance . Bikes are well secured and wrapped in blankets when transported does a really good job, he is a biker himself so he gets it. He is very busy, but if your patient to when you want delivery he can be very good on his price.

I have used him twice, and both times it was great service, am never in a rush for my bikes to be deliverd so price has been very good, Florida to Washington state $500. I actully first made contact with him through u ship, but I notice on other bike forms I hang out at, they talk about him on there also, he moves a lot of bikes.

Stewart5533 screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 04:33 PM
Stewart5533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #522
TorontoAlex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I just checked out KTM and nothing is permitted to import after 2007. What gives? Can't see much difference from US models.
TorontoAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:03 AM   #523
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoAlex View Post
I just checked out KTM and nothing is permitted to import after 2007. What gives? Can't see much difference from US models.
it's protectionism and price fixing. NAFTA works well for big business, the little guy? gets this Ducati has done the same thing on newer models. They want to continue to be able to charge Canadians more for the same bike. It's the "Canada premium" because it costs more to do business in canada, so they have to charge more.. that's the b.s. line anyway.

For all the complaints about the $500 rip off letter from BMW (which can easily be by-passed), at least bmw canada honors the warranty on bikes purchased in the US if they were under warranty there. Honda and Yamaha don't; there's no warranty in Canada on US bikes.

Kawasaki goes as far as penalizing the selling dealer if a bike is exported to canada, to the tune of 1 or 1.5% of the value of the bike. I was looking to purchase a new Kawasaki and the dealer told me Kawasaki obtains a list if VIN from US Customs on all Kawi vehicles (bikes, quads, etc) exported to Canada. If they were sold directly to Canadians, and never registered in the US first, that dealer is charged a penalty. So at the time, the dealer I was talking to told me he'd have to charge me that %, unless I registered the bike at my US address, and then subsequently exported it.

Suzuki doesn't care where you buy it, as long as you do.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #524
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
I just imported an RZ 350 into BC today. One thing I did not have that Canada Customs asked for was the original Craigslist add.

I think it would be wise to print any ads to verify what you paid for the bike.

Cheers
Old 04-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #525
bmwnewbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
I just imported an RZ 350 into BC today. One thing I did not have that Canada Customs asked for was the original Craigslist add.

I think it would be wise to print any ads to verify what you paid for the bike.

Cheers
What I also do is bring along a copy of the Wire Transfer or Bank Draft that you used to pay for the bike.

Customs still try's to play games and ask how and what down payment you gave to the seller. and of course all of the questions what did you have done to the bike after you bought it etc. etc.

bmwnewbie
bmwnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote