ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #16
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundflatout View Post
Anyone have some good ones? In the process of uploading them... here is a teaser:
Nice to meet all you guys. I had a great time learning some new techniques and riding / hanging out. Riding on the sand was a special treat, too. Thanks AltRider and Jimmy for putting such a great event together. I made this video:

Old 02-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #17
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 502
Loved the iPhone mount on that one. Just hoping the camera was not mounted on your head for those shots...you'd have gotten pretty low on the bike in the dunes.
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #18
DA KLIXTER
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
Loved the iPhone mount on that one. Just hoping the camera was not mounted on your head for those shots...you'd have gotten pretty low on the bike in the dunes.
It's OK.That was Nick.That's how he rides.
CK
Old 03-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #19
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,465
How many turned up? Sad that I missed it... looked like an awesome time!
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #20
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
I'll have you know the phone mount worked great.

The camera was mounted on my chinguard--that way it gives a better view of the controls and a better sensation of speed (IMO, as well as less chance of getting knocked off) than typical helmet-top camera mounts.

But yes, in the dunes I was in a full tuck and caning the old DR. I'm looking forward to going for a ride on a bike (or sleeping in a bed) that fits one of these days. Does AltRider make bed extensions? I think I'd go for a 12" version.

nick2ny screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 11:12 AM
nick2ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #21
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Dig the video. I missed your iPhone mount...Can you post some pics of the mount? I'm kind of stupefied as to how you mounted it to your helmet...

Cheers,

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
I'll have you know the phone mount worked great.

The camera was mounted on my chinguard--that way it gives a better view of the controls and a better sensation of speed (IMO, as well as less chance of getting knocked off) than typical helmet-top camera mounts.

But yes, in the dunes I was in a full tuck and caning the old DR. I'm looking forward to going for a ride on a bike (or sleeping in a bed) that fits one of these days. Does AltRider make bed extensions? I think I'd go for a 12" version.
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #22
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundflatout View Post
Dig the video. I missed your iPhone mount...Can you post some pics of the mount? I'm kind of stupefied as to how you mounted it to your helmet...

Cheers,

Jason

Howdy Jason--I think they're referring to the Galaxy Nexus (here's the new version, unlocked and no-contract. Works anywhere in the world) velcroed and ziptied to the DR650's analog speedo. I put a few strips of male velcro on the speedo and a few strips on the back of my phone, before realizing that the velcro would just unsnap the back of the phone. So I added a ziptie to complete the janky setup.

I had a gopro helmet mount wrapped around my helmet with the camera on the front of the chinguard. I think that's my favorite on-bike perspective, unless you're trying to capture opposite lock, then I figure bike-mounted (if you're capturing little bitty baby slides) or body-mounted (if you're capturing colossal, heroic slides), is better.

Edit: I was using Dual Sport Maps for Android (available from the Play store. Review here) and had a 2-Amp USB charger plugged into a cigarette lighter I mounted on the bike. It worked really well.

Dual Sport Maps can download map data ahead of time from satellite, google maps, a bunch of hippy nature maps sites, or something else too. Then your phone's GPS just puts you on the map. It can zoom according to your speed, etc.

The only issue is if you ruin your phone. Apparently they can overheat in sun within an otterbox, or get full of sand or water without one.

nick2ny screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 11:57 AM
nick2ny is offline   Reply With Quote