Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
roadracer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Split a track with 8000 track points into 16 tracks? Garmin 60csx

Hi,
Does anyone know if there is a good way to split a track in a .gpx file that has 8000 track points into 16 tracks so they track points don't get truncated when I upload them to my Garmin 60csx?

I tried searching, but couldn't find anything in this forum. If I missed it, happy to read the other thread.

Thanks!
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Try this LINK it might help you. I found it on fellow members site Link
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,701
I don't think it's too difficult using Garmin's supplied software--either Basecamp or Mapsource. I only know BC, Mac version, here's what I do

-Import the gpx file
-Open the track by double clicking
-Click on track point 500
-In the track window, lower left corner is a little gear-looking icon; click that and you'll see an option for "splitting track at selected point"

That should do it. You'll have to name them, etc.

You should then be able to copy the 500 point tracks to your 60 just fine.

I'm sure Mapsource has a similar function, look for help files to explain how to do it.

I don't know whether the software will balk at an 8000 point track though...never tried one that big

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
roadracer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Awesome thanks!
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Save the original file (someday you may own a GPS which can handle big track logs) and the 500 point each version, then as an experiment try filtering (with MapSource or BaseCamp) all or part of the big track and see how it looks.
The 8k points may be overkill and the filtering is quite effective in reducing the number of track points while retaining good detail. Depending on the original, filtering from 8,000 to 800 does not equate to 10% of the detail, it's more like 90% of the original.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #6
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
Save the original file (someday you may own a GPS which can handle big track logs) and the 500 point each version, then as an experiment try filtering (with MapSource or BaseCamp) all or part of the big track and see how it looks.
The 8k points may be overkill and the filtering is quite effective in reducing the number of track points while retaining good detail. Depending on the original, filtering from 8,000 to 800 does not equate to 10% of the detail, it's more like 90% of the original.

Bruce
As Bruce suggests, unless you are going cross country, 8000 points is probably a bit of overkill. Sounds like you got a track from a prior ride.

In Mapsource, if you open the track, there is a Filter button that will trim it down to what you choose.

The other easy way is to right click on the menu bar area and enable the track edit tool. You can then use the Track Cut icon and just go along clipping it into as many pieces as you want.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
Does anyone know if there is a good way to split a track in a .gpx file that has 8000 track points into 16 tracks so they track points don't get truncated when I upload them to my Garmin 60csx?
Like all above said very with Mapsource or Basecamp. Like Dave poionted out you don't need actual active log to follow a track. My rule of thumb for the many dual Sport rides I promote is 500 track pionts for each gas to gas of 100-140 miles gives plenty of resolution to follow al but the most non-obvious ways. I occasionally use a special track for crossing some open thing like meadow or sand dune with no visibal trail.