User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
EddieMac OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Motorcycling the F out of Switzerland

I'm planning a trip to Switzerland for summer 2013 and I'm interested in renting a bike for 3 or 4 days. I've motorcycled before and I've been to Switzerland before. Now I plan to combine the two to create the most awesome vacation ever. I'll most likely be based out of Lauterbrunnen.

I have never rented a bike out of the USA before and I'd appreciate your advice. I have found some websites with rentals but nothing that rates them. Who is a reputable vendor?

Is it worth it bring my own helmet and jacket or just rent them?

What are the don't-miss roads?

What other things amd I not considering?

Danke.
EddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
I'm planning a trip to Switzerland for summer 2013 and I'm interested in renting a bike for 3 or 4 days. I've motorcycled before and I've been to Switzerland before. Now I plan to combine the two to create the most awesome vacation ever. I'll most likely be based out of Lauterbrunnen.

I have never rented a bike out of the USA before and I'd appreciate your advice. I have found some websites with rentals but nothing that rates them. Who is a reputable vendor?

Danke.

best bring your own kit but sure you can rent also but may not fit properly.......

nearly every bike shop does rentals. as you are in lauterbrunnen have a look in grindlewald or interlaken. lot of helpful hints a few posts down about bike rental inCH inc a nationwide search tool for rentals.

remember that a lot of the passes are still closed early summer, when they open up and are fine for cars but for bikes still expect snow and ice on the road at the top.
fluff34567 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Twawsi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I'll echo what fluff said, a lot of passes are closed until mid June. With that said, for a place to go....hit Andermatt, and ride the four circuitous routes from there. You wont be disappointed.
2012 Bucci 150 Cross
Twawsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
CourtFisher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:

Danke.
As others have said, many Swiss bike dealers rent.
One dealer (happens to be BMW) very close to Lauterbrunnen that I know is reputable rental source is
http://www.moto-center.ch/mc_thun/index.html

For route planning, you can't do better than
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Jou...dp/1884313701/
which includes several recommended rides centered around Andermatt
(and)
pick up a Michelin national or regional Switzerland map, e.g.
http://www.amazon.com/Switzerland-So...dp/2067175106/
and follow the green scenic routes

bitte
CourtFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
Twawsi
Adventurer

+1 ^ Courtfisher,

That book is awesome! I have it in my tank bag right now and shared it with our bike club here in Italy. We've voted on buying 50 copies so that all members will have a copy. I've currently highlighted about 40% of the passes listed in the back of the book. My goal is to hit at least another 40% this year.
2012 Bucci 150 Cross
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
EddieMac OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Wow, great resources! Thanks!
EddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
I'm using these guys based in Frankfurt, but they are expanding to Munich and will have my rental Multistrada waiting when I fly over for 10 days in August to trek around the Alps. http://www.motorradvermietung.de/en/

So far their communication is excellent. Really, just read reviews of places. I rented from a small place in Costa Rica 2 years ago, also no issues and they had been around a while.

http://www.motorbikeeurope.com/en/routes-category/top100
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtFisher View Post
For route planning, you can't do better than
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Jou...dp/1884313701/
+1 0n that - I'm on my 3rd copy (different editions) and I don't leave home without it. I remember seeing a copy (in English) in Ange's gift shop in Andermatt across from the Monopol a few years ago.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #9
babilon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I will ask a Friend this weekend. He lives in Thun and I'm sure he know something about the area and dealers ;-)
[KTM 990 Adv N 2006]

[KTM 990 Adv N/S 2007]
babilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
I've rented 6 times - 4 from BiancoBlu in Milano (a bit far for you) and twice from Moto Mader in Oberentfelden (about 40kms west of Zurich). ALL of my experiences have been positive. I've heard good things about the Moto Centers (Bern & Thun) - the Thun shop (actually in Steffisburg) is very close to the Interlaken/Lautennbrunnen area - about 20kms straight line. I stopped off there a few years ago to check out the shop - very nice. All motorcycle shops should have an on-site bar

Quote:
I have never rented a bike out of the USA before and I'd appreciate your advice.
For a short ride, it's the only way to go. You show up, sign some papers and off you go. Renting from a reputable shop will guarantee a late model bike in good repair - so yo don't have to worry about tires, brakes or any of that sort of thing.

Quote:
I'd bring my own kit - you know what fits and what works. It's a bit bulky, but better that than being at 2,000 meters in a cold rainstorm and discovering that your rental gear isn't quite what you would have preferred.

Quote:
Just about all of them.

The Lautenbrunnen valley and the side trip to Grindlewald to see the Eiger, of course.

One good loop is to start from Interlaken and head east to Innertkirchen - take the road on the north side of the Brienzersee instead of the Autobahn on the south side. Meiringen is a neat little (if touristy) town with the waterfall where Sherlock Holmes fell to his (fictional) death.

At the main intersection in Innertkirchen, keep left to go over the Susten Pass and down into Wassen. Take a right and head for Andermatt (my usual base for 2-3 days). Almost into Andermatt, you'll see a large monument carved into the hillside dedicated to a Russian General. From Andermatt, ride up to the Oberalp Pass and back down to Andermatt - it's a long slog to nowhere if you keep going.

Out of Andermatt you have a choice - a short loop back to Interlaken via the Furka and Grimsel Passes, or a somewhat longer loop over the St. Gotthard pass (be sure to ride the older cobblestoned road (La Tremola) for a sense of history - it can be slippery in the rain, though.

From the bottom of the St. Gotthard in Airolo, head back west over the Neufenen Pass (Switzerland's highest) and down to Ulrichen. Take a right at Ulrichen and you'll eventually arrive in Gletch with the Rhone Glacier (what's left of it) and the Furka Pass road dead ahead and the road or the Grimsel on your left. If you go over the Furka back towards Andermatt, there's a gift shop near the glacier, you can buy a ticket and walk down into an ice cave that they cut each year.

Otherwise, it's over the Grimsel and back to Interlaken.

Assuming stops for lunch, drinks and pictures, this will be a busy day. The short loop is about 190kms and the long one about 260. You will need to recalibrate your mental odometer in the Alps.

If you think that this could work for you, I can give you some other suggestions for other days.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #11
Vistar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
For the convenience of future bike rentals inquiry in Switzerland,
Here is a link to ALL swiss moto deallers that rent bikes.

www.motorradhandel.ch/vermietung-suchen.cfm

Basically, choose your model and area.
Vistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
Twawsi
Adventurer

Just a friendly shot out to MichaelJ,

Just now waking up in Andermatt :-P
2012 Bucci 150 Cross
Old 05-14-2013, 03:34 AM   #13
L21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Twawsi
How are the road conditions ? I will be there in three weeks on my way from Heidelberg to the south of France. Nice place to be waking up today
L21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #14
babilon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
http://www.tcs.ch/de/auto-mobilitaet.../prognosen.php

[KTM 990 Adv N 2006]

[KTM 990 Adv N/S 2007]
babilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
Twawsi
Adventurer

I thought the roads were fine for my GSA. There was the usual winter road debris that the road crews were out cleaning and performing maintenance. I figure by the time you get there, they should be much better
2012 Bucci 150 Cross