Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #151
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,474
Thumb Meeting up with Parepin again.........

I had forgotten to mention that I was planning on doing a really wild 705cc engine using stage2 cams, porting, larger valves, high compression and a KLR600 tranny with a kickstarter later in the winter, at my buddy Andy's shop... buuut some leeetle bug told me to just go ahead and send it to Carl's Cycle and let them do it. This would give me a backup engine as well, since this ride was going to be over 20,000 miles long.
It was almost done and Alex and I planned to go down to Boise and pick it up as soon as he got back into town.
Since he would be a day or two... I decided to take Mick out for some fun and training in the meantime. I feel like since he's still young I need to work with him as much as possible to instill all the best behavior I can! I mean Mick not Alex... hmmm or do I. JK

I take him down to Chief Timmothy WMA on the Snake river to work on his Hunting skills and to play. Nesting season is over so I'm not worried to bother any hens on their nest!

Next day Al arrives and we borrow Waynes Hondacar to go fetch the new engine...

Al meets all the gang at Carl's and we head back up North, we're hungry near Donnelly and see this sign. Who could resist a pretty girl like this, who also offers Comfort foood...

We meet Krystal our smiling waitress on the right, Julie the shy owner in the middle and her husband Tom on the left...

We finally get her to look at us and smile... the food was OUTSTANDING!!!

By nightfall we're back in Lewiston and the Beast is in the house...

Des before the transplant...

Checking out the porting...

New engine in place... note the kickstart shaft.

After initial fire up we discovered a minor hick-up... sooo after a bit of dis and reassembly we were good to go again. Just another typical thrash for the hooligans.

A couple laps around the area for shakedown miles and an oil change, then we were off to visit old friends, family aaand to meet new ones. Destination all over Washington and then onto Vancouver Island,BC. With the first stop being a suprise stop at Becky's place... I had told her in May that I'd pop back in later in the summer. It was July 4th sooo there had to be a party goin' on somewhere... The mill was deffinately feeling STRONG!

Aaaaaah the open road... just two gears and Janis is in the dust... again juuuust kidding.

In Helmer we stop for food in the General Store and Cafe, a place I'd ridden by many times but never stopped.

Again the food and convo with the ladies is great... he and I leave our own Dollar Bills on the wall.. Al can confirm but I believe there were 5,000 of them in there!!! And I think she told us that a local had broke in and taken many many in years gone by. I didn't get a pic of Al's...

Another hottie guarding the bathroom door...

Always love this ol' round barn...

The St Maries river...

Lake Coeur d' Alene...

Somewhere in here as we're doin' about 80-83mph, and I'm try'n to keep up with Al, I notice a bit of vibration set into Desiree'...

We get to Becky's neck a the woods and see a party going on at her sisters place... never been there buuut have a feeling. Yup it is... turns out to be an interesting night... drunk friends and protective relatives of hers trying to figure out who the wacko strangers on bikes are?!?

Beer, Crazy people, Fun people, The Kind and Fireworks for the kids ensue...

Alex thought the whole damn thing was pretty weird..

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 08:23 PM
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #152
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

We had crashed at Becky's, eaten breakfast and started to suit up to head Westward to the Ranch.
Al playing with Miss Ruger and her puppy...

Colt telling motorcycle war stories..

So all three of us has metal in our bodies from our love affair with the motorcycle...
Becky had drawn him in the Hospital...

Wild picture she had captured of a friend as well... the essence of Spirit... Energy.

Was he trying to tell me... something??????

Becky rides tooo..

We notice her tires are pretty dry rotted and take notes of the sizes, to get her some fresh sticky Avons shipped in!^)-

Colt donuts us out the driveway and we're off...

People plaaying on Priest lake during their holiday...

We head along the lake, then cut over the Mtn toward Sullivan lake and Metaline Falls...

Beautiful views...

Sensed a puurrty girl on the bow of this boat as we road by, but didn't get zoomed in time to show you...

The Pend D'Oreille, and old log holding barriers...

Along here I pull up to Alex and try to tell him somethings not right, he points to a pull out.

The vibes are worse and worse from last night and she'll hardly pull past 70mph... After we pull the carb apart it turns out the diaphram spring is about worn through and ready to break in two. It isn't controling the slide well at all. I wonder what all is wrong with my fresh steed. We decide to keep motoring towards my sisters palce where I'll tear into her more thoroughly.. there's still alotta beautiful country to see between here and there.

Puff puff pass break...

Aaah the mighty Columbia...

And a ride on the Columbian Princess.. the Gifford Inchelium Ferry.

There has been a Ferry operating here since 1898. Increased traffic due to a Congressional decision in 1896, to open the Colville Reservation up to mineral exploration to non-Indians, caused the need.
After the privately owned operation went bust in 1947 the BIA took it over... and of course things changed again after Grand Coulee Dam was built in the 1930's, flooding the old towns along here.

"In 1981, Fisherman’s Boat Shop in Everett completed the Columbian Princess on a $1.7 million contract with the Bureau of Indian Affairs. The 120-foot-long hull was towed through the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the Columbia River where it transited five sets of locks to Pasco. At Pasco in July, the ferry, with an engine and screw at each end, was placed on wheels and trucked overland, at four to six miles an hour, 108 miles to Lincoln in Lincoln County. The unusual convoy, 42 feet wide, passed over four highway bridges and 54 culverts, often creating an odd image in a sea of ripening wheat."

In 1994 the Colville Confederated Tribes took it over from the BIA.

Anyhow we were enjoying the day, more folks playing on the 4th...

Here we duck off onto some good dirt... W Gold Creek rd, to W Sanpoil rd to Aeneas Valley rd.

Follow the light...

We meet a Fish and Game guy with electronic tracking equipment, tracking the Rainbow trout migrations... very very interesting stuff!!! Way more range than I had remembered... alot like a sea run Steelhead. Since all beings in the universe are connected through a consciousness grid, and at one time they used to be able to migrate to the sea... before (the Grand Coulee Dam- remeber) they behave like their saltwater brethren... though they're now completely land locked.
Was a Great conversation:)

We also stumble on some camping offroaders on KTM's... say hello and ride on. As the sun fades we ride into Tonasket for supplies before heading back up to the ranch... there we meet a slightly discouraged girl named Jess, who seems to need our counsel. I'll put up a video which includes the gist of it.

Haha... almost bigger than her car.

Safe in the Magic Bar...

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 06:30 AM
Old 03-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #153
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,011
The detail that you put into these posts is absolutely astounding. I don't know how you remember all this. And I'm still amazed at the amount of pictures you've got. You must have that camera glued to your palm.

Well done, good sir.
Parepin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #154
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
The detail that you put into these posts is absolutely astounding. I don't know how you remember all this. And I'm still amazed at the amount of pictures you've got. You must have that camera glued to your palm.

Well done, good sir.
Thanx man... Yea it is funny how all the details seem to come right back.... especially since we've been mostly on the road for the better part of 4 yrs.
Hahaha yeeaa lotsa pictures, yup I figure if I can capture what I'm seeing it will be easier to transfer how the place makes me feel to the readers.

Was gonna txt you anyhow.... since were gonna be ripping around for the next couple weeks on this part of the ride... you got your head clear enough to chime in with any thoughts and or pics???

Next couple installments will have us being road saviors in the North Cascades... then rock'n it out with Steve over Bellingham way... then of course Van Island WoooHooo

Oh and thanx for the "well done"
Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #155
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Fungus among us.....

Yup as you can see from the closing video in the last post... Al and I were into some Shamanic contemplation... I won't go into it yet, not today, I feel like we need to do this again, outside.. with Abuelo Fire speaking wisdom to us.

The girls outside doing their own contemplating... Alex's begging bowl hanging off Janis.

We never really sleep... just sit and lay around absorbing the..... everything.
With clear thoughts and fuzzy vision the morning dawns... perhaps you can relate?

Randy's 66 John Deere...

I look at Natasha, then back at Alex and think to my self... I bet she looks like an angel to him in his psychedelicly tuned state of mind. Hahahahahahahahhaahahahahaaaaaaah...

I go into the shop and tear into Desiree'... yup diaphram spring is shot. Also cam timing is off... so I losen up the cams and correct this. Then notice the decompression spring is missing??? Well I know a buddy Mike at MPH Performance, down in Grand Coulee who may have another spring outta... something?!?!?! He has Harley's ,XR 600's, tons a parts etc... well head that way.

More goodbyes...

We take the 21mi dirt Disatel Moses Meadows rd cut off...

Al has sped ahead and as I come along what do I see off to the side???

Almost exactly where I saw a cow a few years back...

Uh huh a little Bull Moose... Cool Beans! 3rd one I've seen here in WA in the last 10yrs.. 2 of them right here and one over on the Ranch. Nice to see them coming back up in population... a reminder how Wild this place felt just a short time ago, and still does to me sometimes.

We get to Mikes and as he and his puurrty girl friend chat with Al...

I go inside and dig through every box of parts I can find!

I find this... from an old rack of carbs off a 70's Honda I think.

It will work.. and work it does! After the Cam indexing and this spring, Desiree' is really starting to wake up!!! More power than she's ever had fo sho...
We get back into my home town of Paradise (actually Bridgeport, but to me it was and has always been PARADISE:) I wanna show Al the ol' stomping grounds as we head towards Hearts Pass...

Looking back on Chief Joseph Dam...

Up pull three dudes on a tour of their own... "Fujinator" on ADVRider on the cool retro Ducati, Cliff and Mark from the Seattle area, out on a ride a bout.

Then into the Chief Joe Tavern for grub where I introduce Alex to John. He's cracking jokes as he answers every question I ask him with one for me... aaand makes sense! For instance why he's carrying a plunger around?!? Hopefully Al can remember that answer... Anyhow I ask about his ol' partner in crime, I always saw him with.. he might have passed away. I sneak some cash into his hand as an offer of peace and love, sensing he could use some extra today, we eat then roll out again. Taking the old dirt road that was thee main road back in the day... it was my almost private playground and hunting area as a kid!

Taped to the door... you know I come from a small school, when they now combine ANY year you graduated.. just COME! haha

Another PPP moment...

I notice the "We the People not We the Corporations" sign in Twisp...

This is almost the exact spot I lay dying, 2:00a.m. May 28th 2006, when the 3 girls/angels in the suv saw a blanket/me laying in the road and stopped....

Aaaaaalll betta now...

We pop into the Mazama store to stock up since we plan to camp up here, near Hearts Pass somewhere tonight... really cool little place... In an AMAZING Valley!

These Rivers, Valleys and Peaks are simply................ no words.

At the peak of the pass.. and about as far as we can go with all the snow, Al gets to meet the gentleman who I met in 2008, who watches over the Ranger station with his wife. From Ellensburg if I remeber correctly, I cannot remember his name tho! Very nice guy, who always shares alot of information with us, like the mining claims down over the Pass and the Miners natures as loaners etc...

We ride around a bit to scout out a camp spot... there is already someone down below, and as Al keeps searching I sense someone waving me over. We had ridden right below their camp and the sound of our thumpers gets"Remote" Marks attention.

He comes walking up, and as we go right into deep conversation about life, fun, spirit (everytime someone see's us out on the road they of course wonder- and how can I offer just a short answer to them) This positive energy causes three Beautiful girls... Sophia with Cute little Jen on her back, and Katie from Colorado, to come walking up too... we all talk awhile and then when Alex comes back by and heads down the mountain I say my goodbyes.
Wow another great connection...

Down on Robinson Creek we find a spot to build a fire and camp just outside of a Trailhead...
We go walking around, dragging trees back to camp where we use our folding saws to cut them into firewood... We also drag a couple boulders around to better make the fire ring and to create a table of sorts.

We make our offerings to Abuelo fire... he starts to blazing, then Al hangs his Hammock back by the creek..... aaah the sound of this creek!!! I pitch my tent next to Desiree's side.. as I always do.

The rock to the left is our table...

Smoked Salmon, Trailmix aaand more Fungus.....

It soaks in... a full moon looks down and we drift into more contemplation... all the while the magical voice of Robinson Creek speaks to us.

After several hours I finally drift off to the sounds of life all around me... a profound sense of calmness has overtaken me... I wonder if Alex has been transformed too?!?

G'nite all...

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 06:03 PM
Old 03-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #156
GAS GUY
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,570
Jettn Jim- This ride report is super !! This is as good as it gets !!! So full of life and character.Keep up the fire.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #157
hvMULEwiltrvl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Enjoying your ride

JJ

I am sitting in El Valle, Panama at the moment on a little getaway with mi esposa reading your adventure.

Puff, puff, pass my friend.

May our paths cross one day. We are kindred spirits.
hvMULEwiltrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #158
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Jettn Jim- This ride report is super !! This is as good as it gets !!! So full of life and character.Keep up the fire.
Hey GAS GUY Thanx alot... MUCHO appreciated!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvMULEwiltrvl View Post
JJ

I am sitting in El Valle, Panama at the moment on a little getaway with mi esposa reading your adventure.

Puff, puff, pass my friend.

May our paths cross one day. We are kindred spirits.
Aaand Elloooo MULE I also thank you for reading/riding along even while your on your own getta way down in Panama. And I too hope we meet up!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #159
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

An AWESOME Day of Goooood Deeds!!!

Yup I roll out of dreamland feeling better than I had in weeks... sunshine flowing through the tent this morning... moonlight flowingthrough it all night, aaaaaaaaaah.

Alex looks to be in some deep beingness too....

Not long before we start to pack up this... one kick ass campsite!!

It's a revelation of sorts that I have here under the tree's and sky, next to the creek and fire... I feel good in my bones. It will take me months later, till near the end of this ride to understand exactly what I remembered last night. All I know this morning is.. I can sense it, and that is all I need to know.

I decide to hop this log and ride up the bank as my way to bid farewell to the experience... all the while trying not to squish any vegitation, it's a tight line.

It goes smooth and we groove out toward the North Cascades Highway... WooooHoooo!

As soon as we get to the intersection... we see trouble. A family has overheated and lost all their coolant!
We analize the situation a minute... torn lower rad hose! I dig for tools and Al goes about doing the repair.

We just kinda take over the scene as is normal really. I load up all our water bladders including backpacks (about 17litre total) and the guy's 1gal jug for him to carry as a spare and head back to the Methow to fill up.

It's beautiful down here... and soon some Kayaks with a few pretty girls float bye. I only take the far away pic because as they get closer we're too busy saying high and smiling at each other for another shot.

By the time I roll in, Alex has the Bronco all back in order, and starts to fill 'er back up.

Nice way to start the day... an hour or sooo in the sunshine helping folks out. Right On!
The ride continues...

He goes on ahead since I had to square some gear away... I don't get far though?!?

I find these three dudes broke down... hahahaha REALLY?!! I pull off wondering how Parepin missed this one? Maybe he thought 3 dudes could figure it out.
It's Darion Black, Mark Plumb -"MECK13" ADVer, and Phil Plumb on a KLR, a DRZ400 and a DR250s.
The lame duck is the KLR... hmmm I might know a thing or two about that bike. They've got the tank off, pulled the plug, checked for spark, wondering about the petcock, (I have everything to do the Hurricane Mod to it - eliminating the need for vacuum if neccesary) their debating on pulling the carb now.

After a look over I say... "hmmm I think it's the float, it's stuck!"
"What really?"
"Yup let me drain the bowl and we'll get all the crap out, then go test it."

I had pretty much been through all the maladies of a KLR in the last 2 yrs, and with my re-found sense of calmness (aka last night) the answer just popped into my head.
I pull out an allen and my drain jug and hose (I use the jug double duty for draining my carb when doing jetting and also as a piss jug soo I don't have to get outta the tent at night:) I drain the bowl, tap on the carb a good bit, then let him do a reassemble.

"There that oughta do it!"
"NO Shit?"
"Yup Yup, go for a test run!"

He does and she puurrs like a kitten. Another job well done. Hmmm wonder where Al is??? Usually we stick somewhat close since I have been here 45min or so.
As I turn around to suit up, I remember the F-250 broke down right behind me!?! Yup didn't tell ya that part... another family was stuck right here in the same pull off, at the base of Washington Pass.

They pretty much have a smoked tranny...
"Hmm well I ain't packing enough tools for this job, BUT I can take a message over the passes till I hit a phone in Newhalem."
"Yea Ok"
"Here's my pen and paper"

He jots down all the info for his brother, and I stuff it back into my pants... ok back on the road!

People playing in the July 5th snow... we're gonna be doing a goood bit of passing and swerving I see, as we head across on one of theee busiest weekends of the year! Normally my hyperactive self would be seriously struggling with this daunting task. But again the calmness of things has me in a really meellllloow state of mind.

No Shit!!! There'e Alex.. finally. Turns out the day had other plans for him and so it split us up to be more effective!!!

Hahaha... he had run across this couple with a flat rear tire on the gentlemans Ducati, Triumph or Beemer?? Alex can fill in the make/model. They evidently didn't have anything to do a tire repair, sooo Al does a bang up, plug job and then re-inflates the guys tire! AWESOME he saves their day... just cool.
Four groups in need on a busy ass Sunday morning and we... two carefree Nomadic Adventure dudes are here to help... perfect timing. What can I say... a helluva day:)

Some of the next folks we're gonna need to be passing...

I say my protection bit and ask for good energy not to conflict with anyone, among other things as I usually do everyday, and we go about hauling ass. But with more a flow and dance than a batouttahell disreguard... it seems to work and we cruise at our own pace until between Ross LAke and Newhalem, where we come up on a Statie. Sooo after our stop and sticker score in Newhalem, we just back off even more and cruise into the Skagit valley. It's alway kinda busy on the West side and copie too anyhow.
Super fertile this valley...

We're shoot'n for Bellingham to see my Brother in law before he sails for Alaska, and I wanna take Alex over to the Longhorn Saloon and Grill in Bow-Edison along the Chuckanut drive (a twisty rt11 that will take us up to the Ham) I met the owner the night I almost got killed in Winthop back in 2006, and have been stopping by everytime I get near, ever since. Can't remember when the last was... buuut now I know it will be today.

I think we could use this song now...

Here's a comment off a search engine:
"If you need an excuse to get away some sunny afternoon, the Longhorn Saloon & Grill is the perfect destination. Just cruise on down Chuckanut Drive but don't pay any attention to those other places along the way like the Oyster Bar... you can go back there some other time. The Longhorn is the place if you like fresh oysters, awesome burgers, a great selection of beer and the best hot wings in the Pacific Northwest... hands down.

A funky little locals place in an even funkier small town with lot's of character and chock full of characters. Don't worry about the line up of Harleys in front when you get there... they're there for the same reason you're going... great food and drinks!"

Yup all goood, aaand if I remember right there's a cute little gal work'n there that juuust might remember me!^)-
Haha Yup yup that's her...

Jennifer Adcock... she sees me and smiles.

Aaah my heart be still... you can feel their energy right thru your computer.
She introduces me... uuh I mean us... sorry A.. Al... Alex... that is your name right dude? Do I know you? Juuust kidding, she introduces us to Meagan... another CUTIE FoSho!!!

We actually did come to eat ya know:) and maaaan they have EVERYTHING GOOD! We get Oyster shooters, then I down a SUPER meaty, HOT and SPICY Oyster Stew, with a salad on the side.

Al, he gets some pretty serious conversation started with a couple next to us... ?????? What... again do I know you dude? This ain't like him aaat all! Though I must say he has really been opening up to people these last couple years... personally I think he was just playing the 3/5 with the cuties!
He is almost taking notes with them I believe...

Meanwhile sooomeone has to entertain the goyls... and that someone just happens to be me today. Yup yup one a those days where your just in service to the universe.. like the four families down the road.
Aah the work load I suffer under, juuust kidding of course.
But we do all hit it off and play we do...
Somehow Meagan has grown a tail since she had walked over...

Aaand now Jennifer has found one too...

They start posing around the Saloon... hmmm wonder what the other patrons were thinking?!?

Are you kidding me... they better have been HAPPY!!!... Jen gets up on the bench and we kind of get a 50's kind of Bettie Page thing goin' on.

Ok with FULL bellies and..... everything else too, hearts, souls, minds, you name it........ we take a walk out side to meditate, couple cool bikes out back... you always wonder about their story.

I go back in to say goodnight and kiss the hands of the lassies, kiss, kiss, smootch, kiss, kiss, then walk out to see Alex is meditating again... with a new Friend. Notice Al wouldn't park over with the Harley's like Desiree' had... hey Niiice Billboard too:)

Steve Binschus... a REALLY coool dude who is a fish processor. Soo He knows my Bro-in-law... Kooowel! Annd he has a badass bike too!!!

He is juust alldamnright, and breaking down biker vs biker stereotypes, he invites us back in for a drink... hmmm well since I had been staying pretty dry... sure! We enjoy some..ALOT more of the goyls company and mainly though each others, he has taken a liking to us as we share war stories back and forth. By the time the glasses were dry he had decided we should crash at his place, since he lives in Bellingham and we're going there!
Faaar out maaan... let's do this.
We roll out onto Chuckanut drive (yea I know, were on Chuckanut and just left Miss Adcock... you can't make this stuff up) and I look to my left...

Steve out ahead of Al here, drags sparking pipes all the way to the house...

We roll in and just HIT IT OFF! Man whata goood time... the universe is now rewarding us for our good deeds of the day, with a place to crash, hot showers in the morning and a new Brother!!! After some more meditation and a brew or two, we all find our eyelids to be the best view around.

Like the views over in the North Cascades yesterday.... nooo words, and as Natalie from Nashville sang... I got... Nothing To Say.

G'nite...

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 08:27 AM
Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #160
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 9,908
I love this shot.

Jim, you and Alex are something special and when you travel together it's even better. The universe does have plans for you and the both of you are doing good with following where it leads you. Most people would just pass all those folks needing help but you do the loving thing and stop to see if you can assit. Wahoooo, I'm proud that I have had the opportunity to meet both of you.

On a note from a few pages ago. Are you familiar with the Indian caves S. of Sullivan Lake? Actually S. of Ione, WA on the east side of the river on the Colville Reservation. If not let me know and I will give you better directions on how to find them the next time you are in the neighborhood. The cave is awesome, up on a hillside and overlooks the Pend Orielle River.

Keep doing what you're doing . . . . .

Hugs (on the heart side)
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #161
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,011
Jim asked me that I hop on board and add whatever I can, and so here I am. I see that he's moving right along, however, so I need to get my ass in gear.

As Jimmy said, I came in a bit late in the game after spending a few weeks in Portland hanging out and riding with some new and truly awesome friends. You know who you are. A game plan had already been hashed out before I even arrived which found me the next morning shoehorned into the front seat of Wayne's adorable little "Hondacar" for a run down to Boise. The ride itself was fairly uneventful and really enjoyable. It was nice to be able to just sit back and shoot the shit, hearing the stories of Jim's antics along the river and dodging chip seal shrapnel.

I find it funny that Jim just skipped right over this part. As we're cruising through some high plains between the peaks, I'm suddenly on alert as Jim drops the shifter and red lines this little Asian go-cart across the double yellow and around a van.

"That's was possibly the dumbest thing I've seen you do in a while. There was a cop-shop right on that stretch."

"Hahaaa!"

Suddenly there's a flash of red, white, and blue. Normally this wouldn't alarm me, but when it's going down in your rear view mirror it tends to catch your attention. We pull over and a man in blue rolls on up with his thumbs tucked in his utili-belt.

"Good morning officer, sorry about that, we're just on our way down to Boise to pick up this engine for my KLR 650. I had a new big bore installed with all the bells and whistles down there at Carl's Cycles. Have you heard of them? Oh, I'm Jim, Jettin Jim, and this is my buddy Alex. We've been cruising around the country on our bikes for a few months now. Well he's been on the road for eight months, I've only been going for three. We met last year on a ride up to Alaska, crazy experience. Yeah, I was movin pretty good back there, I didn't even see the police station. My buddy here just said "That was the stupidest thing you've ever done." Yeah buddy, Hahaaaaa"

To get the full effect, you have to say that all out loud and in one breath. Go on, do it. It'll be fun, and your wife will think it's funny.

Anyway, the cop was pretty amused with the energy flowin through this pint sized little ricer and let us go with a mere slap on the wrist. The trip from then on was fairly easy going, albeit at a tamer pace. We stopped for some grub and Jim worked his magic while I hung back and enjoyed an iced coffe. It would take the rest of the day to get back to Lewiston where we would waste no time turning wrenches. I had a countershaft seal to replace, and Jim had an engine to swap out.

As Jimmy continued to work through the next day in his endless pursuit of tweaks and tinkering, Wayne and his girl Sena had planned on making a run down to the river for the night with some friends to fish and get plastered. I quite liked the sound of that, and so Janis and I tagged along.

Wayne. This man could catch a fish in a puddle.

Back at the compound, Jim gave me a quick walkthrough of the install and some of the issues he found. A quick jaunt around town put him at ease and we were back on the tarmac the next day. Jim had a plan set, I was just along for the ride. It was a rarity that I was able to not worry about navigation and to simply enjoy the weather. Lunch at the cafe mentioned above was pretty tasty. We worked the older ladies behind the counter up until they smiled and chatted with us, answering each and every question we could think of about this misplaced chunk of the last century.

The road stretched on and the sun slowly set as we turned off the highway onto some more rural roads, and finally a gravel driveway. I assumed this was the home of one of Jim's friends. There were BBQs, animals, kids, car parts, and beer everywhere. We both spent the first few minutes greeting friends and family of this mysterious Becky and getting assaulted with questions of the bikes and our travels. I was put on edge almost immediately, I'm sorry to say. I was shown around the grounds a bit, given a beer and offered food, before being introduced to Becky by a flying leap into my arms. Alrighty.

The night wore on and a fire in the distance burned with intensity, it's flickering glow challenged occasionally with a passing sparkler or exploding bottle rocket. I had brought my own bag of M-80s and Cherry Bombs that I had picked up at the reservation back in Lewiston and messed with the kids a bit by tossing them in the pasture just over the fence. The beer flowed, the firewood was ransacked, and at some point I found myself very nearly wrestling a quarter stick of dynamite out of the hands of a man of questionable state of mind. Good times.

We were up fairly early the next morning, and I spent no time downing some coffee and pancakes before gearing up. At this point I just wanted back on the road, to chase that horizon to the end of the earth. I played fetch with the family dog and watched as Colt wreaked havoc on the stone driveway. Gotta love a kid with an adventurous attitude.

The weather couldn't have cooperated any more as the day went on. The roads were dry and clear, the sky was blue and spotted with only the occasional passing cloud. A break here and there kept the motivation on high. At one point Jim mentioned Desiree just not feeling right and did a bit of digging. As he said, the spring in his carb had worn nearly in two, preventing him from fully utilizing warp speed. He mentioned knowing some people here and there where we could surely get a new part. I wasn't all that alarmed and simply accepted that, for the time being, I would actually be able to keep pace with the man.

As I go through my pictures of this ride, I'm making note of just how many have a giant gloved finger blocking nearly the entire frame. I've gotta work on that.

On and on as the sun settled in behind the trees. A few encounters here and there with some fellow riders, mildly alarmed campers, and harassed wildlife. The last stop before we settled down for the night would be what Jim kept referring to as "The Junction." I had no idea really what this was, so imagine my surprise when we pulled into a gas station framed with a giant sign titling it.... "The Junction". Now I don't know about Jim, though I'm sure he'll agree, but one of my favorite parts of touring around the way that we do is moments like this. Hanging out in front of the local gas station, eating gas station burritos, drinking gas station slurpees, toking here and there when no one is looking, and talking with the locals when they are.

From there it was up the hill and back to Jim's sister's place, where we released the hounds, powered up the tunes, and burned the night away.

Parepin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #162
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
I love this shot.

Jim, you and Alex are something special and when you travel together it's even better. The universe does have plans for you and the both of you are doing good with following where it leads you. Most people would just pass all those folks needing help but you do the loving thing and stop to see if you can assit. Wahoooo, I'm proud that I have had the opportunity to meet both of you.

On a note from a few pages ago. Are you familiar with the Indian caves S. of Sullivan Lake? Actually S. of Ione, WA on the east side of the river on the Colville Reservation. If not let me know and I will give you better directions on how to find them the next time you are in the neighborhood. The cave is awesome, up on a hillside and overlooks the Pend Orielle River.

Keep doing what you're doing . . . . .

Hugs (on the heart side)
Thank you my sweet Ladybug,

We do seem to create a certain vibration when we ride together that is inducive to... Goood Times!
I am glad to have been lucky enough to hang out with you too!
Nope didn't know about the Caves near Ione??? Though I go through Ione nearly every year, yes would like to get directions from you.
And Hugs back at ya... (On the Heart side! )
Peace Sister

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 09:25 AM
Old 03-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #163
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
Jim asked me that I hop on board and add whatever I can, and so here I am. I see that he's moving right along, however, so I need to get my ass in gear.
Hey Bud thanx for chiming in and adding a new dimension to the Ride!! I like how ya fill in the details like the gas station burrito's sitting at the Junction where we met the forlorn girl and your flow... I like youir style...

Oooh boy I had totally forgot about the run in with the Officer in Cascade... a preety good sized guy unaptly named "Little John".
Yea folks we were coming outta town limits and I was getting impatient following this long line of traffic, sooo I pull out and haul ass, doin' about 70 in a 45... and in a NO PASSING zone! As I do this, I see a sign on our left< << POLICE STATION! What, oh shit!!! I then say to him "Man this is one of the stupidest things I've done in a while!" He says "Nooo it isn't!" Implying he's seen me do waaay stupider things... he may be right. Just as these words leave his mouth... I see blue lights in the rearview mirror!
What he forgot to tell you is.... he had been preparing to meditate and the car would no doubt be full of odors... odors I can't smell since the accident, but the LEO may???

As Al said I greet him with poitive energy and he flows along with us.. He say's he was following us a couple cars back, since the end of town and wasn't gonna pull us over EVEN though we were going 10 over! But just as he was about to turn back, what happens.. I pull out and pass in theee nooo passing zone right in front of him. LOL sooo he has no choice but to come back and check us out. As Al said he just wrote us for the minimum he could, ignoring a traffic device or something minor, and I shook his hand thanking him. (I had shook it as I introduced myself when he walked up to the car also -as a gesture of kindness, and was kinda suprised he took my hand as it could be dangerous to do so in a bad situation, obviously he felt comfortable) so with a minor fine as a reminder that the universe was saying... HEY SLOOOW DOWN A LITTLE, we cruised on.

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 07:36 AM
Old 03-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #164
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,598
Great stuff Jim, very good detail, it looks like your report is headed in my direction next... It'll be interesting to see what you find on Vanisle...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #165
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Talking Ooooh Yea........... Fun Times!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Great stuff Jim, very good detail, it looks like your report is headed in my direction next... It'll be interesting to see what you find on Vanisle...
Hey dude... thanx alot! aaah we find some interesting stuff right off the bat... then Alex stays a few days longer than I.... he'll have to post up that stuff, since I don't know exactly what he got into? All I know is I got into some shit while we were split up.

Teaser:

Yup Yup quite an Adventuuure!!!