Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
Rot Box
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Cool bikes Looks like a fun project. If it was me I would try welding that piece back together. A competent welder should be able to handle the job.

Keep us posted it will be great watching it all come together.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #17
sdm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Try this link for parts... www.pentonpartsusa.com
They have allot of stuff for the older KTMs . Looks like a 1980 to me as I believe the 81s came out with a reed valve engine. One of the best bikes I ever had and wish I never sold it. Good luck with the resto as it is definitely worth it when complete..
Sam
sdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #18
CrazyD2.0 OP
We Havin Fun Yet?

Oddometer: 234
I saw that site earlier, and just went more into the engine part of it and viola! there was the cover plate I'm looking for... I'm not bad welding steel, but aluminum's out of my capability...plus I need gaskets and o-ring for it, so figure just buy the kit (if still avail with them). I emailed them, we'll see if the essential parts are to be had, then I'll know how far I'll get.

I see this thread's been moved - cool by me. If anyone can offer info/advice, I'm ! For example - what exactly is that lever supposed to do, the one in the picture of the broken plate? You'll have to forgive my ignorance, I've never owned a 2-stroke. My last bike was a KLR650...
CrazyD2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Crazy
I believe that plate and arm are the clutch actuator arm.
The clutch cable should connect to that then as you pull the clutch it pushes a long rod that goes down the middle of the clutch basket and pushes a ball bearing that opens the clutch pressure plate.

I think.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #20
Mach Z
Budding ADV Addict!

Oddometer: 62
Great bikes! Strong engine, broad powerband. I had a 1978 GS250 ISDT like this...
Got many years/miles out of the top end when my buds were re-ringing every season with their Jap bikes.

http://www.isdt.eu/mediac/450_0/media/Giacomo2.JPG
Mach Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #21
CrazyD2.0 OP
We Havin Fun Yet?

Nice looking machine! When I get to the frame on this one, I know there's going to be some welding to be done - there's been some previous frame breaks/bad re-welds, as well as some rusted holes that need to be addressed, plus some much needed paint. In the end, I'm hoping to get this thing to approximately 75% new-looking.

Now that I think about it, I believe you are correct kellymac - on that PentanPartsUsa site there was an exploded diagram of the main case clutch/crank with that lever extending into the clutch pack. Off the top of my head I wondered if it was that de-compression lever I've heard about, used to kick-start bikes easier - but no, it must be clutch-related.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #22
CrazyD2.0 OP
We Havin Fun Yet?

I obtained the critical parts from PentonParts (thanks Alan, for having them!), so #2 Son basically did the remaining tear down of the main frame while I was working on a commisioned job.

While we were doing the forks, I noticed that the rubber o-ring had broken (dried out, whatever the case) and saw the bearings visible - I trust this is normal? I would have thought the bearings for the steering head would have been better sealed. Strangely enough, the movement of the forks left/right was smooth enough - but I think I'd look into replacing them when I get to servicing the forks and seals.

I also found that one of the clutch actuator/cover capscrews had been stripped out once apon a time, so after taking a closer look found that the threads extend right into the transmission cavity, so any thread tapping is going to put metal into the gear set. Not good. so I figured I'd pull that side of the engine housing off. Turns out the sprocket output shaft seal took a hit and is deformed, so have to add a seal for that, gasket for the housing and a seal for the end of the crankshaft too...PentonParts to the phone please... one of the machine screws that holds the ignition system to the crankshaft cover sheared off too - sigh. Better take an inventory on what small drill bits I have available.

There were some previously repaired cracks that need to be cleaned up and I wanted to get the frame cleaned and painted, so in the event the engine comes together nicely, I can basically continue with the rest of the restoration without having to pull the engine off again.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #23
CrazyD2.0 OP
We Havin Fun Yet?

I was able to successfully drill out and heli-coil the bolt hole for the clutch release lever cover on the right hand engine case, as well as drill out and extract the broken #4 machine screw that was sheared off in the crank seal cover/ignition adapter. That was a bit of a worry. I'm starting to run into issues with parts availability - more on that later...

As it were, I'm just waiting for the remaining gaskets and seals to show up so I can start reassembly of the engine. In the meantime, my boy Wesley had ground off the excess welds from previous repairs - not a complete job, only half of each of the cracks were done, so he ground of the blobs of weld, and I finished welding the remaining cracks (forgot to bring camera, so no pics...). Today, cleaned off old dirt/mud/oil, and primed the main frame.

So I have a question. It is my intention to sell this bike after I get it restored. Provided everything goes to plan, I was going to get it to as near new condition as possible, given its age and availability of parts, and once completed, take it on our annual camping trip, which involves lots of mountain logging roads and trails, so I plan to bring the bike with me to make sure all goes well and bike performs as best as it can. But ultimately, I don't want a 2-stroke, so the outcome is that it will go up for sale. Which brings me to ask: Do I paint the frame to match original KTM colours, or do I take this opportunity to bring in a personal touch. Would any prospective buyers prefer sticking to original in every way or would there be room for change where paint is concerned. This would also apply to getting new fenders and tank, where colours other than white are (supposedly) available. Please chime in, it doesn't matter to me either way, I haven't bought the paint yet, but I'd like to have an idea from those that do have an opinion (me, I like modern/custom looks...)

And finally - I've been in touch with pentonparts and vintagedirtbikeparts - does anyone else know of others? I've signed on to KTMtalk as well, so I'll post there as well...but like a good fisherman, cast as many lines wherever I can.... I'm finding that some parts are not available from the above mentioned sources, so would like to find more possibilities.

CrazyD2.0 screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 05:22 PM
Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #24
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Crazy,

You would be better off doing it in the original factory colors. If you customize it, it is not a true restoration and it will take away from the value to a serious collector.

Whatever you do, you will never get the $$$ from your labor out of it that you have put into it. So you are not going to make any profit by restoring it on the vintage/classic/evo market unless it is a full on concourse restoration or a very rare bike, and then that is if you can find someone who truely has to have it. If you were keeping it for yourself then the bike is well worth your time.

Hope this helps
Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #25
CrazyD2.0 OP
We Havin Fun Yet?

I hear you about the cost factor - I'm not doing this with the expectation of a big $$$ sale - more like a "never-done-this-kinda-thing-lets-see-how-it-goes" project. Of course I would like to cover my parts, maybe couple hundred extra to give to the boys for their help (and a case of beer for me). But you probably are right - return it to original as possible. After all orange is a cool colour anyways, right?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #26
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyD2.0 View Post
I was able to successfully drill out and heli-coil the bolt hole for the clutch release lever cover on the right hand engine case, as well as drill out and extract the broken #4 machine screw that was sheared off in the crank seal cover/ignition adapter. That was a bit of a worry. I'm starting to run into issues with parts availability - more on that later...

As it were, I'm just waiting for the remaining gaskets and seals to show up so I can start reassembly of the engine. In the meantime, my boy Wesley had ground off the excess welds from previous repairs - not a complete job, only half of each of the cracks were done, so he ground of the blobs of weld, and I finished welding the remaining cracks (forgot to bring camera, so no pics...). Today, cleaned off old dirt/mud/oil, and primed the main frame.

So I have a question. It is my intention to sell this bike after I get it restored. Provided everything goes to plan, I was going to get it to as near new condition as possible, given its age and availability of parts, and once completed, take it on our annual camping trip, which involves lots of mountain logging roads and trails, so I plan to bring the bike with me to make sure all goes well and bike performs as best as it can. But ultimately, I don't want a 2-stroke, so the outcome is that it will go up for sale. Which brings me to ask: Do I paint the frame to match original KTM colours, or do I take this opportunity to bring in a personal touch. Would any prospective buyers prefer sticking to original in every way or would there be room for change where paint is concerned. This would also apply to getting new fenders and tank, where colours other than white are (supposedly) available. Please chime in, it doesn't matter to me either way, I haven't bought the paint yet, but I'd like to have an idea from those that do have an opinion (me, I like modern/custom looks...)

And finally - I've been in touch with pentonparts and vintagedirtbikeparts - does anyone else know of others? I've signed on to KTMtalk as well, so I'll post there as well...but like a good fisherman, cast as many lines wherever I can.... I'm finding that some parts are not available from the above mentioned sources, so would like to find more possibilities.
Try LETKO Cycles..Shawnee Ks..Jim Letiller raced Pentons forever and has had this shop since KTM was importing as Penton..new location on the highway, but Jim knows his stuff.
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #27
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
It is a 1980 MX bike so will not be too fun for trail riding. It has large ports. They vibrate a lot and suck fuel like mad. They are sudden. Not exactly a good recipe for trails. The tank is not original. Probably came with a 2 gallon tank or so. Without a GS type cylinder and a lot of flywheel added & smaller carb it would be a handful. Likely why it was parked to begin with as much as needing a ring job. I would just make a crosser out of it as this is the cheaper way to go and follows the original intent of the bike anyway.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #28
CrazyD2.0 OP
We Havin Fun Yet?

You'll have to explain the term "crosser" - don't know what you mean by that. As to the bike's characteristics, I guess I'll find out when I'm done what this thing is all about. I've been told by my friend who owned it before, he rode it like he stole it, hence the repairs needed. Plus he says no one liked to ride behind him because it was so noisy .
Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #29
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyD2.0 View Post
You'll have to explain the term "crosser" - don't know what you mean by that. As to the bike's characteristics, I guess I'll find out when I'm done what this thing is all about. I've been told by my friend who owned it before, he rode it like he stole it, hence the repairs needed. Plus he says no one liked to ride behind him because it was so noisy .

"crosser"= a pure motocross bike. Not a trail bike or enduro bike. Perhaps useable in the desert by some. A racing machine. The lines were drawn much more clearly in the 80s than they are today. No power valves to re-adjust. Huge ports and a big carb. Loud as all heck.Arm straightening acceleration....like that.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #30
CrazyD2.0 OP
We Havin Fun Yet?

Ok, I get it. Note to self: increase life insurance...

Actually looking forward to completion of this thing - I hear about how these machines behave, Its going to be interesting to experience them first hand...