Get Free

Oddometer: 1,093
Yes, they are barbed.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #47
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,217
I can not imagine that the design or efficiency is much different ( they look very similar)

as long as there isnt a thermostat, or anything like that inside the factory cooler I do not know why any other heat exchanger would not work as well.

now, if you can get a factory part for cheap, that is likely better.
But I am just thinking after 2 tries, Id be looking in a different direction.
mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #48
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Dang Brian! Great job on the rebuild. Very frustrating with nagging problems like this, but kinda goes with the territory.

I had an accident 18 months ago (driver pulled over in a pull-off and stupid me thought he was letting me by, BUT NOOOOOO, he decided to make a U-turn and never looked to see if anyone was behind him). I went over the hood and the g-force from the deceleration caused me to black out (read concussion).

Long story short, I had $6K of cosmetic damages (mostly scrapes on engine guards, fork, windscreen etc.) but nothing broken. Drove home. He had to be towed!

So a long way round to get to my point. I was pushing them totaling my bike. If I had accepted a couple other mildly scratched but pricey parts they would have totaled it. I asked them if they did cold I buy it back and they told me the buyout would be so high it wouldn't be worth it. Don't know why I couldn't do it here like you did, but no worries, I bought half the new parts with the insurance check and picked up a DRZ400.

Hope you had fun with this!

DH
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #49
Britome OP
Get Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Dang Brian! Great job on the rebuild. Very frustrating with nagging problems like this, but kinda goes with the territory.

I had an accident 18 months ago (driver pulled over in a pull-off and stupid me thought he was letting me by, BUT NOOOOOO, he decided to make a U-turn and never looked to see if anyone was behind him). I went over the hood and the g-force from the deceleration caused me to black out (read concussion).

Long story short, I had $6K of cosmetic damages (mostly scrapes on engine guards, fork, windscreen etc.) but nothing broken. Drove home. He had to be towed!

So a long way round to get to my point. I was pushing them totaling my bike. If I had accepted a couple other mildly scratched but pricey parts they would have totaled it. I asked them if they did cold I buy it back and they told me the buyout would be so high it wouldn't be worth it. Don't know why I couldn't do it here like you did, but no worries, I bought half the new parts with the insurance check and picked up a DRZ400.

DH
Great hearing from you, bro. You had 40k on that GSA didn't you?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #50
Britome OP
Get Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
I can not imagine that the design or efficiency is much different ( they look very similar)

as long as there isnt a thermostat, or anything like that inside the factory cooler I do not know why any other heat exchanger would not work as well.

now, if you can get a factory part for cheap, that is likely better.
But I am just thinking after 2 tries, Id be looking in a different direction.
Interesting. Never considered this. I know I don't want to spend 500 bones on a new part and I'm skittish about another used.

I just rode it hard for about 50 miles and am still unsure if I have a small leak or if all the oil that was blown around before is still blowing around. Once a 1/2 quart of oil gets everywhere, no amount of wiping makes it totally disappear.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #51
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,419
Quote:

DH
Drivers that cause these type of accidents should be;

1- Sued for damages, pain and suffering and failure to use reasonable caution, etc.

2- Have their license stamped as being a potential dangerous driver and if there are further accidents, their license suspended (zero tolerance).

3- If there was no insurance, license suspended and subsequently proof of financial responsibility should be mandatory.

I hope you recovered more that just a few bucks for property damage. You could have been killed. We arrest folks for a few grams of weed. Dangerous drivers should not be given a pass.
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #52
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
Great hearing from you, bro. You had 40k on that GSA didn't you?
Just turned 40k a couple weeks ago. Been interesting watching the progress. We need to meet up on the road someday, or, at the next International GS competition! Keep up the good work.
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Old 03-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #53
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Drivers that cause these type of accidents should be;

1- Sued for damages, pain and suffering and failure to use reasonable caution, etc.

2- Have their license stamped as being a potential dangerous driver and if there are further accidents, their license suspended (zero tolerance).

3- If there was no insurance, license suspended and subsequently proof of financial responsibility should be mandatory.

I hope you recovered more that just a few bucks for property damage. You could have been killed. We arrest folks for a few grams of weed. Dangerous drivers should not be given a pass.
Thanks Def, I agree. The crazy part was he had his wife and daughter in the car and if I had hit 3 ft further back I would have gone thru the daughters door (who was in a car seat). I considered myself lucky and the guy thanked me for being so calm, although part of that was being stunned and a little fuzzy thinking. I caught hell from my wife though. She is a Ph.D and specializes in traumatic brain injury research. I called her and told her I would be late for dinner (still had a two hour ride home) but didn't tell her why. I knew if I told her it would have been a looooong discussion about going to the ER, having some one come to get me etc.

It's better to ask forgiveness than permission!

DH
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Old 03-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #54
Britome OP
Get Free

Quote:
Thanks Def, I agree. The crazy part was he had his wife and daughter in the car and if I had hit 3 ft further back I would have gone thru the daughters door (who was in a car seat). I considered myself lucky and the guy thanked me for being so calm, although part of that was being stunned and a little fuzzy thinking. I caught hell from my wife though. She is a Ph.D and specializes in traumatic brain injury research. I called her and told her I would be late for dinner (still had a two hour ride home) but didn't tell her why. I knew if I told her it would have been a looooong discussion about going to the ER, having some one come to get me etc.

It's better to ask forgiveness than permission!

DH
True to all this. Maddening.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #55
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,217
Ive had pretty good luck at the local car wash cleaning mine up enough to see leaks, id degrease the heck out of it, spray it clean a few times.

then do the baby powder/ride hard/work light inspection dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
Interesting. Never considered this. I know I don't want to spend 500 bones on a new part and I'm skittish about another used.

I just rode it hard for about 50 miles and am still unsure if I have a small leak or if all the oil that was blown around before is still blowing around. Once a 1/2 quart of oil gets everywhere, no amount of wiping makes it totally disappear.
mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #56
Britome OP
Get Free

Ok. I believe I've attained closure. I was concerned because I had some seepage out of the new valve cover gasket. But I put the torque wrench on it and it wasn't fully to 10nm. It is all good.

I still have the slightest, almost imperceptible, amount of oil residue behind the oil cooler but I'm assuming that is still old oil blowing around. This project is a wrap with final thought and coaching for others soon to come.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #57
Britome OP
Get Free

I offer financial specifics to help future decision makers...

After my 1k deductible and buying the bike back with a salvage title I got $7835 from insurance. I spent money on an initial visit with a friend who is a tech and also added upgrades that the bike didn't previously have. My GRAND TOTAL INCLUSIVE COST FOR REBUILD: $4238.39.

In the end I pocketed roughly $2,600 and have a better bike than we started out with given the upgrades and replacement of some other things that were previously marred like the switches.

Britome screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 06:44 PM
Old 03-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #58
Britome OP
Get Free

If you ever do a project like this...

1) Be nice and jovial with the insurance people. They aren't trying to screw you over. They simply have to justify their decision to a superior should they ask. Give them every piece of information they ask for and 2x more. Drop factoids and info which clues them in that you are knowledgable. ("I own two of these bikes and had two of the previous model 1150gsa. I live in the bike world and i know what that bike goes for in the real world fully equipped.") This bike was loaded with farkles and I was compensated accordingly.

2) You don't have to be hyper knowledgable on these bikes. If you are mechanically inclined AND have a Haynes manual AND know where to turn for help when you need it AND would enjoy the process, then this a project that makes sense emotionally and financially.

3) Only do a project like this if you are planning on keeping the bike for a long time and aren't concerned about resale. A salvage title won't help you with that process.

4) To save even more money wait longer for things to become available used. I ordered a fork tube for $400+ and one week later I could have had one for $175. This is all a matter of how tight your budget is and how quickly you want to get on the road. My son and I have a major trip planned for march so we were itchy to get stuff done.

5) When you think you are done, brace yourself because you are sure to find more that is wrong.

6) Be prepared to live with some things that are less than perfect. You may notice that my oil cooler is slightly cocked and the gap between some panels is less than perfect.

Britome screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 07:45 AM
Old 03-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #59
Britome OP
Get Free

Reasons I'm glad I did this project...

1) It was a great reason to connect and wrench regularly with my son.

2) It was a total change up from my normal line of work. I got a charge every time I walked away from the garage and could point to something tangible and tactile that I had accomplished.

3) I feel more confident and equipped to handle problems on the road or trail. I now know the 1200's almost as well as I knew my 1150's. contrary to my bad perception, the basics of the bikes are similar. I no longer am intimidated by the newer things on the 1200.

4) This bike rebuild will always generate fond memories and stimulating conversation around the campfire.

5) I made money.

6) The bike will be a memento of God's goodness for a long time to come. When your son totals his bike and only has a scratch on His knee, it is a reminder that for all the bad that God doesn't stop in this world, there is way more tragedies that he keeps from happening. I'm thankful to Christ that there was grace sufficient for my family to remain in tact.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #60
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,654
Where can you buy a wrecked/salvage GS?

Those Internet auctions are a PITA.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote