Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #76
super21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I ran the entire loop last august on a klr. I did it CW to blanc sablon and found out the boat fron NF to NS was broken. I turned around and rode the way I came. I think they wil have it all paved from lab city to goose bay in short order. I am not a civil engineer by any means but all the bridge work/power poles are in place. They are also paving the road from manac 5 to lab city. A lot of the trip was in rain but no bugs to speak of.
super21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #77
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
Sounds like you picked up a bit of the langauge when you were here with Desiree.
Yea me brudda...
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:28 AM   #78
Newfie Rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
revive

Just to revive the thread....

I think I am doing the TLH again this year. A few of my buddies want to do it, one got a New Ducatti MultiStrada...what a beauty !
Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #79
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,463
Muskrat Falls to be dam(n)ed

Just saw that Muskrat Falls, about 20 miles west of Happy Valley/Goose Bay is going to get dam(n)ed. Anyone heading to do the TLH, I strongly encourage taking the shortish dirt/sand two-track and one-mile hike to see it before it's gone.

Now:

Future:

selkins screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 06:50 AM
selkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:40 AM   #80
thelastknowngod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Anyone have any thoughts on hammock camping?

I have a Hennessy Hammock but no "traditional" tent. I'm thinking I could use it as a hammock when possible and, if it comes down to it, tie one end of the rainfly to the bike and use it as a pup tent. Obviously I'd still be packing a sleeping bag..

Also, I'm thinking about doing this trip in a month. I'd be starting around June 10th and on the road 2-3 weeks from Philadelphia going CCW. That seem like a reasonable time estimate? The bugs going to be really bad that time of year? True story, I've never been bitten by a mosquito in my life. Would still like to make sure I'd be ok though. :)
thelastknowngod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #81
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,421
I don't hammock camp, but I would think it could be challenging based what we saw. Lots of scrubby bushes.

Camp at Churchill

Not much foliage here:

Too much foliage here:

Random pics
Old 05-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #82
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastknowngod View Post
The TLH is entirely located within high-latitude taiga. The "trees" are generally short and spindly and won't support a hammock. Not that you have to have a tree to mount the hammock on...

Bugs: Maybe you have natural bug repellancy? You'll get to test it, and in the North Woods spring tends to be more buggy than fall, but there really isn't any way to predict specific bug levels.

Amount of Time: That's really a matter of personal preference. Without thinking about it, I've found I naturally tend toward 2,000 miles / week on long trips. 1-2 long days, 3-4 moderate/short days and 1-2 rest/sight-seeing days. I haven't ridden TLH since 2009, but from what I can tell so much of the TLH is getting paved and/or very-well maintained, that unless you're a particularly cautious rider on gravel, you won't trend much slower than if you were riding rural 2-lane highways in the states.

selkins screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 10:59 AM
selkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #83
Forrest6775
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
May head up there this weekend. I've got from May 24 til June 4th off work. Not sure if I can pull it off in that time frame. Was gonna go to Big Bend but it's too hot.
Forrest6775 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #84
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest6775 View Post
May head up there this weekend. I've got from May 24 til June 4th off work. Not sure if I can pull it off in that time frame. Was gonna go to Big Bend but it's too hot.
Heat won't be the issue but cold may be. They went below freezing a couple of days this week on "The Labrador".
Old 05-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #85
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,475
And my buddy Harvey says either 20cm or 20in of snow last night in Grand Falls!!!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #86
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Hammock on the TLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastknowngod View Post

I have a Hennessy Hammock but no "traditional" tent. I'm thinking I could use it as a hammock when possible and, if it comes down to it, tie one end of the rainfly to the bike and use it as a pup tent. Obviously I'd still be packing a sleeping bag..

Also, I'm thinking about doing this trip in a month. I'd be starting around June 10th and on the road 2-3 weeks from Philadelphia going CCW. That seem like a reasonable time estimate? The bugs going to be really bad that time of year? True story, I've never been bitten by a mosquito in my life. Would still like to make sure I'd be ok though. :)
I used a hammock (Jungle Hammock) on my way up to Labrador City and had no trouble. The trees are indeed small, but if you're cunning it can be done. You don't need 300 foot Redwoods.

Once you get near the coast, into the krummholz zone you would be out of luck, but you may be able to pitch your hammock as a dreadful, uncomfortable one person tent thing, using the bike and a bush. I have done this a time or two in a pinch. You can endure it for a night or two. Don't just use the fly though - you WILL need the flyscreen of the main compartment (assuming a Hennessy has them). A foam pad will keep your backside off the ground.

Mosquitos and blackflies - prepare yourself for new levels of misery.

Nick

Apologies for the lousy picture but it illustrates that you don't need monster trees to effectively use the hammock (hiking in the UK Feb. 2013).

nick949eldo screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 03:13 PM Reason: fixed typing error
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #87
howier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Can someone show me where exactly Duley Lake Campground is. On a map or gps coordinates would be great. I think I know but want to be sure.
Thanks
Howie
howier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #88
straight_8
SM rims for KTM wanted

Oddometer: 74
Thumb Tlh

Forrest, stop by in Goose let me know when you'll be in town. I suggest against the hammock but could be done like another mentioned. It snowed here a few days ago, a few weeks ago it was +20C for a while and bugs were starting to come out...we set up bear traps around here to cath them black flys, they'll rip a chunk off you and go eat it in tree!!
02 640 Adventure (Airbox, carb, exhaust modded)
07 Gas Gas ec300 (street legal, scott damper)
straight_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #89
howier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by howier View Post
Can someone show me where exactly Duley Lake Campground is. On a map or gps coordinates would be great. I think I know but want to be sure.
Thanks
Howie
Never mind, I found It.
howier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #90
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
I've got a tire question (hope you're not getting TIRE'D of them)...

I prefer to run TKC80's on my F800GS but only get 4-5,000 km out of the rear and close to double that on the front. I will carry a replacement rear tire with me and was thinking that I wouldn't need a spare front tire. Or would Murphy's Law then strike and make me wish I'd packed a spare front?

I'll be doing this counter-clockwise and have over 2,000 km to go from home through Nova Scotia and via ferries up through NFLD to Blanc Sablanc. Highway miles really eat up those TKC's and I'll probably have to replace the rear shortly after I get into Labrador.

What do you folks think I should do? Carry just a spare rear, or both front and rear? You wouldn't suggest attempting this without any spare, would you?
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote