ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #46
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 555
subscribed.

would love to hear next dates a group is going.

I have a r12gs and a husky te310 I could choose from.

bigger or smaller dual sports better for this trip?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #47
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
I did most of the loop over a few different days last week and it was a great ride (thanks and nice job Crafty). I was on a 12gs and my feeling is a bigger bike is a better choice with normal DS tires. There are lots of open dirt roads with tarmac in between. I think that would get a bit long on a lighter weight dirt bike unless you just want to be on one. There are some sandy sections in the south to deal with but the only thing that would make me uncomfortable on a big bike is if the route was wet. Those red clay roads would be a slimy mess and I just dread the thought of sliping through that slop on a big bike

HM
Old 04-12-2012, 05:02 AM   #48
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,219
I usually choose to ride my 250. I always have more fun on the smaller bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
subscribed.

would love to hear next dates a group is going.

I have a r12gs and a husky te310 I could choose from.

bigger or smaller dual sports better for this trip?
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #49
Han Solo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
HI all new to this thread. So grateful for the info. We want to ride this route from Tallahassee up to Atlanta (which is better West or East?).

Also dualsportmaps.com seems to be down. Perhaps crafty or someone else could email the .gpx or .kml files to us? pm me if possible.

Lastly we are continuing north up to Tellico Plains, TN and would love any leads on routes to get us there.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #50
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
HI all new to this thread. So grateful for the info. We want to ride this route from Tallahassee up to Atlanta (which is better West or East?).

Also dualsportmaps.com seems to be down. Perhaps crafty or someone else could email the .gpx or .kml files to us? pm me if possible.

Lastly we are continuing north up to Tellico Plains, TN and would love any leads on routes to get us there.
There are lots of telico routes on the website, which is up on all the computers I've checked. I think the problem is you. Why do you think its down?
Old 02-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #51
Farmer829
Green horn

Oddometer: 55
Question Any Pointers?

I'm about to do this on March 14th. Any pointers?
Farmer829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #52
Crim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I did this leaving Friday after work (5pm) and returning back home in Atlanta Sunday evening... it definitely took the full 2.5 days with little to no time to stop and explore around.

That said, it was an absolute blast! We took the eastern tracks down south and the first night we stumbled upon a boyscout camp and ditched out to sleep there. The 2nd night we stayed at a KOA campsite (meh) outside of tallahassee because everything else was booked solid. Can't think of much else....
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #53
Farmer829
Green horn

Oddometer: 55
What's your choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
I did this leaving Friday after work (5pm) and returning back home in Atlanta Sunday evening... it definitely took the full 2.5 days with little to no time to stop and explore around.

That said, it was an absolute blast! We took the eastern tracks down south and the first night we stumbled upon a boyscout camp and ditched out to sleep there. The 2nd night we stayed at a KOA campsite (meh) outside of tallahassee because everything else was booked solid. Can't think of much else....

If you're only able to do one track what would you pick?
Farmer829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #54
Crim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer829 View Post
If you're only able to do one track what would you pick?
I recall the western track was mostly paved and the eastern track was primarily dirt and was a ton of fun. I'd do the eastern side if you can only do one.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #55
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
BL what are the black covers on your handlebars?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #56
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
They look like hand warmers.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...d-Warmers.aspx
Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #57
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
They are Hippo Hands. - http://www.hippohands.com/HIPPO%20HANDS.htm

Same concept as the hand warmers, but the HH have a pretty "stiff" shell which helps them keep their shape when your hand isn't in them and works much better on a Motorcycle at speed so you can get your hands back into them quickly. Those ATV ones flop around in the wind and make it a pain to get your hands back in easily when you need to.

I have several pairs for various bikes and they really do help keep your hands warm when you can't run full electric gear. Although they aren't totally waterproof, they do help keep your hands dry too and you really could apply a waterproof treating to them. Even just with heated grips and those, I can keep my hands warm in the winter wearing summer gloves.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 06-04-2013 at 07:26 AM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #58
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,861
BTW, I modified this route some in various places to add in more dirt and should upload it if Crafty doesn't mind. I actually ran this solo a few months back on my WR250R. I was hoping to take a large group again, but in the end this route is too long with a large group where the pace is much slower. I covered over 700 miles in two days. I was exploring in a few areas, so that added quite a bit of mileage and time, but it was still 2 very long days. I had a blast though riding it by myself. I like running it counter clock wise myself and running down the West side and coming back up the east side. I found some really great roads leaving the hotel and in that south east corner of the loop.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 06-04-2013 at 07:28 AM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #59
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
BTW, I modified this route some in various places to add in more dirt and should upload it if Crafty doesn't mind. I actually ran this solo a few months back on my WR250R. I was hoping to take a large group again, but in the end this route is too long with a large group where the pace is much slower. I covered over 700 miles in two days. I was exploring in a few areas, so that added quite a bit of mileage and time, but it was still 2 very long days. I had a blast though riding it by myself. I like running it counter clock wise myself and running down the West side and coming back up the east side. I found some really great roads leaving the hotel and in that south east corner of the loop.
A friend and I were talking about hitting this in the Fall... figured the temps would be unbearable by July. Do you normally camp or detour to a hotel?

Keep us posted if you think you want to run this again between now & Fall. Have prior obligations this weekend but *could* break away the following.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #60
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Upload your modifications to the website and embed it into this thread. I've done the west side many times. Here are some tracks from my most recent trip south.